Farewell. Sam

The bulk of the musical talk
Ken Herrick
5 valves
5 valves

Farewell. Sam

Post by Ken Herrick »

I first met Sam Pilafian around 1967-68. He and I were both freelancing in Chicago. It was clear that he was quite talented. He and I used to often call each other to fill in (sub) if we had double bookings.

For a short time there was a lot of work available for tuba players in Chicago.

Sam was a "bit brash" at that time and a couple times I was told not to send him in as "he just would not shut up!" (His natural, but still unrefined "showmanship"?) Yet he would be recognised as very competent and I sometimes would re-recommend him. He and I had no personal problems and we got along pretty well. We both had our strong and not so strong points and were probably pretty equal. Maybe ???the fact we had the same birth date - 25 October - though I was 3 years older had something to do with it?!?!? Uhm,(prolly not, really.)

The last time I saw Sam was in 71, outside New England Conservatory in Boston. He said he was just back from playing with the Israel Phil. We had a short chat then I had to go as I was busy getting ready to leave for Australia.

The next time I heard anything of Sam was around 10 years ago when the national broadcaster, ABC, was airing tracks from "Travelin Light"

It attracted a lot of attention and a lot of people here in Australia realised that a tuba was a real musical" instrument. I will admit to a moment of professional jealousy but, that did not last long. It felt good to know that our instrument, when in the hands of a true musician, could make people feel good. (Is that not the true purpose of music???)

It is good to know that he had friends helping him thru his end days.

Very few have had the impact that Sam did.

Farewell friend.
Free to tuba: good home