For the Texans:

The bulk of the musical talk
clagar777
3 valves
3 valves

For the Texans:

Post by clagar777 »

If I want some work done on my tuba, including a good cleaning every 6 months or so, where can I go? I live in Tyler, TX and assume there are a few choices in Dallas. I don't mind making a good drive for some quality work and genuine care for my property.

There are a couple general band shops in Tyler but if I can find a place that has a "Tuba Guy" on staff I would prefer them.

Thanks Once Again,

Clay
vurltuba
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Houghton Custom Horns

Post by vurltuba »

I work at Houghton Custom Horns in Keller, TX. We have worked on tubas for Ed Jones, Don Little, Matt Good, David Graves....

Phone : (toll free) 1-888-749-0210 or 817 431 8072
Vurl Bland
817 233 8920 mobile/text
Tom
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Tom »

Eric Swanson is indeed a fantastic choice. He's done work on a number of tubas for me, and the work has been nothing but top notch.

However, last I knew he ran his repair shop on the side (he's a pro trombonist) out of the back room at his house and did not do chemical cleanings on tubas because he lacked the space and necessary equipment to do so. In addition, I don't think Eric Swanson will rebuild valves...FYI.

Houghton Custom Horns, in Keller, TX (near Fort Worth), does rebuild valves and offers chemical cleaning services (along with everything else). I've never had any personal work done there, but I've seen the work they've done for David Graves (Baylor University) and Matt Good (Dallas Symphony), and have been quite impressed. They have several people on staff that know tubas, including Vurl, who posted above.
TexasBassBone
bugler
bugler

eric swanson

Post by TexasBassBone »

I know Eric, He is the bass trombonist of the Dallas opera Orchestra, and some other groups. He actually does everything from dents to customizing horns, and from what I here from my teachers, he has one of the best cleaning facilities. His studio/shop is built underneath his house from what I here, because my teachers take there horns there instead of going to some of these public used repairmen.not saying that all of them are bad, but Eric was one of them before he opened up his shop.
Tom
5 valves
5 valves

Re: eric swanson

Post by Tom »

derekream wrote:He actually does everything from dents to customizing horns, and from what I hear from my teachers, he has one of the best cleaning facilities. His studio/shop is built underneath his house from what I hear. My teachers take their horns there instead of going to some of the public used repairmen. I'm not saying that all of them are bad, but Eric was one of them before he opened up his shop.
Interesting...

Unless things have changed in a big way (and they could have) since I had him do some work considerable work for me a little over a year ago, I think it's more like this:

I've spent a considerable amount of time in his shop and it was a small space in the back of his home in the suburban DFW area, definitely not underneath his house. I highly doubt that it could be even if he moved, as most homes in the DFW area are built on concrete slab foundations, and thus don't have basements.

In addition, I didn't say he didn't do any chemical cleanings, I said he didn't do tubas because of a lack of space and equipment to do so. That's information I got from Mr. Swanson himself while I was standing in his shop. No rumors here.

For years Eric Swanson had his own shop in Fort Worth. Once his trombone career took off and got really busy for him, he shut down his store front and moved his tools into what I'd guess what supposed to be the utility room of his house.