tetrasodium pyrophosphate - in Plax & Plax clone mouthwashes

The bulk of the musical talk
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Re: tetrasodium pyrophosphate - in Plax & Plax clone mouthwa

Post by Three Valves »

WOW!! I had no idea that’s what was meant by my “toxic masculinity!!” :tuba:
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
smitwill1
bugler
bugler

Post by smitwill1 »

I wouldn’t do it regularly, given the ability of poly-phosphates to chelate (dissolve) zinc. I’d recommend a sulfamic acid based cleaner, such as those used in cleaning brewing or coffee making equipment. Sulfamic acid has a high affinity for calcium (a major component of lime scale) and a much lower affinity for zinc and copper than does phosphoric acid. FWIW, I’m just an environmental scientist, not a chemist—but that’s just my $0.02 based on my understanding.
Bill
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

That's how I took you, though it isn't exactly what you wrote. In that exact application, I reckon few would care to try the recommended alternative, though to be honest I don't know what sulfamic acid tastes like and my guess is that it would be harmless if not consumed in quantity.

But I think given that tip, I would also steer clear of TSPP. I gather some individuals have more trouble with "red rot" than others, presumably due to some obscure chemistry difference, and this sounds like an easy way to become one of those individuals.
smitwill1
bugler
bugler

Post by smitwill1 »

Oops! It was late and I assumed (...think: Bad News Bears...never assume) you were advocating daily horn flushing. Definitely—don’t gargle with descaler! Sorry to bloke and to anyone that I confused by my misunderstanding!
Bill