Custom work

The bulk of the musical talk
Jerryleejr
3 valves
3 valves

Custom work

Post by Jerryleejr »

Probably already know the answer but figured I would ask because there are several on here that have businesses and can offer advice.

Lets say I received a quote for some custom work. I found it very reasonable almost to good to be true. But I agree and pay the money. It the typical nonrefundable, nonreturnable, noncancellable etc... Now turns out they severely under quoted the work. Ultimately I would like to think the original quote stands and should be honored. Realistic my horn is held hostage until the difference is paid, or my money refunded and horn returned untouched...

JJ
Kanstul 991 Custom
Always room for more....
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Custom work

Post by bort »

What was the work, and what was the quote? Is the new amount realistic for what was asked?

I know that coming up with more money isn't always easy, but if it's not unreasonable and is the end result you wanted, then just pay it and move on. These things happen, and bloke is right, could be a positive thing that someone worked on it at all.

The way these things typically work, in my experience, is like car repairs. Authorize to do the work up to X dollars. Anything beyond that needs authorization. I've had plenty of repair projects and car repairs where I said "nah, lets wait on that" or "yes, let's do it while you're already in there"

Hope it all works out for you
The Big Ben
6 valves
6 valves

Post by The Big Ben »

Jerryleejr wrote:Probably already know the answer but figured I would ask because there are several on here that have businesses and can offer advice.

Lets say I received a quote for some custom work. I found it very reasonable almost to good to be true. But I agree and pay the money. It the typical nonrefundable, nonreturnable, noncancellable etc... Now turns out they severely under quoted the work. Ultimately I would like to think the original quote stands and should be honored. Realistic my horn is held hostage until the difference is paid, or my money refunded and horn returned untouched...
Should have listened to yourself when you thought "almost too good to be true".
roweenie
pro musician
pro musician

Post by roweenie »

Some things simply can't be known until the patient is opened up.

Custom "one-off" work is nothing like getting a car fixed, where there's a set schedule of fees and times (of course, unless the mechanic opens it up and finds more problems, too.....)
"Even a broken clock is right twice a day".
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

roweenie wrote:Some things simply can't be known until the patient is opened up.

Custom "one-off" work is nothing like getting a car fixed, where there's a set schedule of fees and times (of course, unless the mechanic opens it up and finds more problems, too.....)
Yeah, that was all i meanr, the potential for surprises after opening it up
roweenie
pro musician
pro musician

Post by roweenie »

Sorry bort - no offense intended, I didn't see your post :oops:
roweenie
pro musician
pro musician

Post by roweenie »

bloke wrote:I don't like agreeing (email/telephone/fb or tubenet message) to install "triggers", because the alignment AND quality/condition/fit of the pairs of slide tubas are BOTH unknown.
+1

Aligning tuning slides so that they are perfectly (within .002 or so) co-planar, both parallel and in profile, can be extremely finicky work, and can take many, many attempts (ie. hours) before success is achieved.

Lapping (the right amount without going too far, that is) also takes time and skill - lapping, cleaning, lapping again, cleaning again, etc.
Jerryleejr
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Jerryleejr »

All good points, and I've had enough work done over the years to understand theres unforeseen things come up. I will think on it...
Kanstul 991 Custom
Always room for more....
Doug Elliott
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Doug Elliott »

In almost any work there are choices to be made which affect the price and the quality. Mostly involving the time spent.
Is your priority the lowest price, or getting it done right? You're unlikely to get both.
MartyNeilan
6 valves
6 valves

Post by MartyNeilan »

From what I remember you are in the greater Nashville area. Drive a little one direction to see Bloke or drive a little in a different direction to see Tuba Tinker. Different personalities and slightly different specialties but both do very good work and neither will screw you over.
Jerryleejr
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Jerryleejr »

MartyNeilan wrote:From what I remember you are in the greater Nashville area. Drive a little one direction to see Bloke or drive a little in a different direction to see Tuba Tinker. Different personalities and slightly different specialties but both do very good work and neither will screw you over.
I have in the past, and for my normal stuff I have a great connection here. I'm just entertaining a project and in no rush.

JJ
Kanstul 991 Custom
Always room for more....