Visit To Mack Brass

The bulk of the musical talk
Mwtuba32
bugler
bugler

Visit To Mack Brass

Post by Mwtuba32 »

So, I paid Tom a visit yesterday to try out C and Bb tubas. I bought a 410l (my second one), but while I was there I got to try some other cool tubas. My first impression of the new ZO tubas that he is carrying was VERY good. He has Thor copies in both C and Bb that have great response and produce a very big sound with ease. The build quality looked to be great as well. I think they will be a hit.
The tuba that I almost bought was the 3/4 5 valve C tuba with the 16 inch bell. That one I spent a significant amount of time on. If you are looking for an easy playing small ensemble tuba or light weight all around contrabass tuba, you should give this one a try. It has a great easy to produce low register and intonation the response is very even throughout.
Tom was very friendly. We talked for quite a while about improvements that he has made to make his tubas even better as well as upcoming models and projects. Mack brass is a great company with top notch customer service and great tubas that we can actually afford. Next time you are tuba shopping, be sure to check out what Tom has to offer.
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Visit To Mack Brass

Post by Three Valves »

I should check out the new BBbs!!
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
MaryAnn
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak

Post by MaryAnn »

I don't see a 3/4 CC on their web site......??
Mwtuba32
bugler
bugler

Post by Mwtuba32 »

It is the YCB621 clone. It isn't on the website yet...likely just hasn't been updated in a while.
MackBrass
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Post by MackBrass »

the elephant wrote:It is a clone of the YCB-621 with the addition of a 5th valve in the leadpipe like on the YFB-621. (I think. They may be referring to some other model of which I am unaware.)

This is just like the 621 copy but better, can now be used in more situations and is much more practical. New model number is TU421s and comes standard with 5 valves and a 16 inch bell in silver for $2795.00. I like to call this a non-slide puller due to its amazing pitch and It will be hitting the site shortly.
Tom McGrady
MACK Brass of Virginia LLC
Email: Sales@mackbrass.com" target="_blank
http://www.mackbrass.com" target="_blank" target="_blank
804-926-7707
Bill Troiano
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Bill Troiano »

Tom, I might have asked this already, but is it available in a 4 valve version?
MackBrass
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Post by MackBrass »

Bill Troiano wrote:Tom, I might have asked this already, but is it available in a 4 valve version?
Hi Bill,

I wasnt planning on selling these in 4v as the that just limits what you can do with them. i do have 1 with the 14 3/8th bell in 5 valves left if your interested in something a little less expensive.
Tom McGrady
804-926-7707
Bill Troiano
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Bill Troiano »

Hi Tom, Thanks for the response. At this stage in my tuba career, I'm interested in light weight and I don't need the 5 valves for what I do. I would be interested in this tuba in 4 valves with the larger bell and preferably not in silver. I know, picky, picky.
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bisontuba »

Tom-
If you can, what is the weight of this silver 5v 16" bell CC? That might answer a lot of questions...
Tnx
Mark
Bill Troiano
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Bill Troiano »

Not to totally hijack this thread......... but show me a 5 valve CC tuba that blows as well, and responds as well as it's exact same 4 valve counterpart. I'm thinking 186, HB-!P, 52J (I easily removed the 5th on that one), BMB 4/4. I just like the response better on 4 valve tubas.
MackBrass
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Post by MackBrass »

Bill Troiano wrote:Not to totally hijack this thread......... but show me a 5 valve CC tuba that blows as well, and responds as well as it's exact same 4 valve counterpart. I'm thinking 186, HB-!P, 52J (I easily removed the 5th on that one), BMB 4/4. I just like the response better on 4 valve tubas.
Understood.

These have always been very limited to what you can do with them in 4 valves and due to their smaller size limits them even more and thats why we never made them part of our regular line up. In 4 valves they are about 1.5 lbs lighter but there is not much of a difference in the way they blow because of the placement of the 5th valve.
Tom McGrady
804-926-7707
Bill Troiano
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Bill Troiano »

Thanks, Tom. I look forward to getting to play one sometime.
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

Is there a fun place to eat like a BBQ stand down there??
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
MackBrass
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Post by MackBrass »

Three Valves wrote:Is there a fun place to eat like a BBQ stand down there??

That's a good q but I really don't know. Most of the good places I have been to are in a small area of the city where the antique shops are.
Tom McGrady
804-926-7707
Rivercity Tuba
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Rivercity Tuba »

If you drive to Richmond twenty minutes away there is a nationally recognized barbecue called Hogs head cafe. The sides are amazing and everything is fresh. There is also Buzz and Ned's. PM me and I'll fill you in.
timothy42b
3 valves
3 valves

Post by timothy42b »

Tom lives in Colonial Heights in my neighborhood but his tubas are in Petersburg; I've not been there. But anyway, Saucy's Barbecue is in Petersburg and I think is very close to Tom's business, and it comes highly recommended. On the other side of the parking lot is a very good bakery.
jtuba
pro musician
pro musician

Post by jtuba »

Rivercity Tuba wrote:
If you drive to Richmond twenty minutes away there is a nationally recognized barbecue called Hogs head cafe. The sides are amazing and everything is fresh. There is also Buzz and Ned's. PM me and I'll fill you in.
Ever make it to ZZQ or Smokh by the Diamond? ZZQ had the most tender brisket I ever had. I’ll have to look for Hog’s Head
Adjunct Tuba Professor, Christopher Newport University
Eastman Artist

NCSUSousa
3 valves
3 valves

Post by NCSUSousa »

bloke wrote:
mctuba1 wrote: [using the quote function, to get Tom's attention...]
so Tom...
John wants to know about barbecue in Petersburg...
How is this place?

King's is an old BBQ joint. As with any BBQ restaurant in NC or VA, the food quality is inverse to the upkeep of the building. This one's on the better food end of that spectrum. My father-in-law grew up around the corner from there and he eats there EVERY time he go back to/thru Petersburg.
BBb Tuba with 4 Rotors -
TE-2110 (2009) + TE Rose
Mack 210 (2011) + Bruno Tilz NEA 310 M0
G. Schneider (Made in GDR, 1981?) + Conn Helleberg 120S
I earn my living as an Electrical Engineer - Designing Power systems for buildings
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

I used to be a big fan of the Carolina style chopped BBQ and vinegar based sauce and coleslaw on the sandwich but I’ve been getting away from that lately...

Kings is looking good, they have both chopped and sliced pig!!
DanClouse
bugler
bugler

Post by DanClouse »

I bought a 421S yesterday after a couple visits- the 3/4 CC. Tom has proved to be an amazing host, a scholar of the market, and a really nice guy.

Props to him for seeing the potential of a top notch 3/4 CC - what the little Yamaha could have been, and carrying the idea forward to something that's really great. I sat with the horn this morning playing Bach cello suites and trying mouthpieces, and it's just a delight all across the full range. It's a really solid and versatile instrument. It's not 3/4 of a C tuba, it's the real deal in a small package.

I also tried out the ZO tubas on my last visit and put it squarely in the league with the Eastman and Wessex York copies. I only played in the garage, but it seemed to have a more distinct color than the others, and locked in a little tighter on the low G. I'm not in the market for a BAT these days, but I'm planning on going back up to try out his stock on a somewhat regular basis, just because there's cool stuff going on.
Carry on my wayward son, there is peace when you are done.
Lay your weary head to rest, but not before you've learned your scales.