Good Audition Pieces

The bulk of the musical talk
Levi12345
lurker
lurker

Good Audition Pieces

Post by Levi12345 »

I’m auditioning on tuba for college next year, and I would like to start working up my solo now. I would prefer to audition without accompaniment. What are some good solos for contrabass tuba that don’t have piano, or piano part that isn’t super important to the work?
THE TUBA
Deletedaccounts
Deletedaccounts

Re: Good Audition Pieces

Post by THE TUBA »

Don't worry about piano accompaniment. Very few (if any) undergraduate college auditions for tuba will require you to perform with accompaniment. If you want to play a tune with accompaniment for an audition, do not let the lack of a collaborative artist stop you.

IMO it is better to play well than it is to struggle though the most difficult tune you can kinda play. In tune, in time, and in tone are more important than trying to showcase how high or fast you can play.

The easiest answer is the old TubeNet wisdom: "Go ask your teacher." Ask your private instructor or if you're not taking lessons, ask your band director. Someone that knows you and knows your playing is bound to give better advice than anonymous jerks on the internet (including me). The actual pieces that would be appropriate for you can vary greatly depending upon your current skill level.

Most undergrad tuba auditions call for a lyrical piece, a technical piece, scales, and maybe excerpts or sightreading. The actual tunes you choose do not matter as much as how you play them. If you're looking for a few suggestions, try googling the music audition pages of different universities across the country and seeing what they require. In general, I think a Bordogni and a Tyrell etude are pretty decent stock recommendations for a HS senior, but your mileage may vary.
[/post]
IsaacTuba
bugler
bugler

Post by IsaacTuba »

For me I auditioned to ASU with the Ewazen Tuba/Bass Trombone concerto, the first two movements. It was a solid technical and very lyrical piece and I was able to get it nailed down. My teacher helped guide me through it with musicality and interpreting the piece, and I was able to put on my best possible performance.

This is just what I picked, but I think that concerto is a good choice for someone who wants to play it safe and nail a piece. If you're feeling confident, what I would've done if I had more time was play the 1st movement of the Ewazen and then the Romanza from the Vaughn Williams. Both are beautiful pieces of music and showcase the player's musical ability.

The college will usually not mind if you don't have an accompaniment, I did mine solo. If anything its easier on you so you don't have to worry about bringing a pianist with you and spending practice time on working with them and telling them your interpretation. You can save that stuff for when you have a recital.
Arizona State University BM 23'
Baylor University MM 25'

Eastman 836GS CC
Miraphone 181 F
BBruce107
3 valves
3 valves

Post by BBruce107 »

I personally played the Vaughn Williams for my undergrad audition. I think another piece to consider on a contrabass tuba is the Hindemith Sonata (Good Luck finding a pianist to play it), or even the Gregson first and second movement would be fair game. Good luck on your auditions!!
Brandon Bruce
Principal Tuba Gaylord Symphony Orchestra
Principal Tuba Alpena Symphony Orchestra