Mack Brass

The bulk of the musical talk
thevillagetuba
4 valves
4 valves

Re: Mack Brass

Post by thevillagetuba »

I get a 404 error when trying to view the pictures. Otherwise, thanks for the review.
Robert S. Pratt
B.M., M.M. Tuba Performance
Getzen G60 prototype
Christopher Lair
bugler
bugler

Post by Christopher Lair »

Well said! This falls in line with every experience I and many others have had with Mack. In my opinion, Tom and Jody offer the best customer service in the industry. If the ZO f tuba is as good as the 6/4 CC it must be incredible. I can't wait to get my hands on a production model!
BBruce107
3 valves
3 valves

Post by BBruce107 »

I had the very same experience with Tom, he is a great guy and his customer service is top notch. I am eagerly waiting on my tuba (The Thor Copy in CC he posted) that I purchased from him. I will be writing a review of this tuba once it arrives and I give it a good blow. I also have one of his PT15 clones and that tuba plays just as well as most PT15s I have ever played. If this Thor copy is anything like that F tuba of mine in quality (Which I assume it will be or even better!) I will be very pleased with it.
Brandon Bruce
Principal Tuba Gaylord Symphony Orchestra
Principal Tuba Alpena Symphony Orchestra
thevillagetuba
4 valves
4 valves

Post by thevillagetuba »

Casca Grossa wrote:https://photos.app.goo.gl/Hy8HqExbwSvrsEHw8

This should be the shared version. Let me know if this one works now. Thanks
It works for me. Beautiful horn and paddles.
Robert S. Pratt
Getzen G60 prototype
BBruce107
3 valves
3 valves

Post by BBruce107 »

That lacquer looks amazing! I wonder if Tom is able to make that option available for more models. I love the looked of that brushed lacquer!!
Brandon Bruce
Principal Tuba Gaylord Symphony Orchestra
Principal Tuba Alpena Symphony Orchestra
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

Another Mack Brass Artiste!!
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
thevillagetuba
4 valves
4 valves

Post by thevillagetuba »

cktuba wrote:Just a heads up.... the second link (for whatever reason) is working on computers but not Android phones (not sure about iPhones).
It works on my Android phone (can follow the link in both Chrome and Google app).
Robert S. Pratt
Getzen G60 prototype
MartyNeilan
6 valves
6 valves

Post by MartyNeilan »

Is this tuba a couple inches shorter than a PT10/PT15?
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

Is that lacquer over a brushed finish (that's what I see), or a polished finish with something like a matte lacquer?
toobagrowl
5 valves
5 valves

Post by toobagrowl »

Casca Grossa wrote: I didn't have to do much adjusting with the slides once I turned on the tuner. There are absolutely no alternate fingerings needed for this horn. The very few notes that did not put the needle at dead center were within 3 cents sharp or flat. Those notes were probably the fault of the user since I have not played f tuba in 17 years. Once I start playing this horn more, I don't think there will be any sorts of tuning issues. The biggest surprise to me was the low range. Intonation was very good and the low Gb and F below the staff were stupidly in tune for a five valve f. I pegged those notes perfectly in tune every time I played them.
That must be some kind of magic tuba to have such perfect intonation :P Glad you enjoy it.

BBruce107 wrote:I had the very same experience with Tom, he is a great guy and his customer service is top notch. I am eagerly waiting on my tuba (The Thor Copy in CC he posted) that I purchased from him.
I believe bloke owned one of those ZO Thor copy CC tubas a few years back. IIRC, he said it played/sounded more like a PT-6P, and that it was a nice tuba.
Donn wrote:Is that lacquer over a brushed finish (that's what I see), or a polished finish with something like a matte lacquer?
Looks like regular clear lacquer over a brushed finish. Kinda similar to the Scotch-Brite finish TubaTinker does to some of his tubas, but lacquered :?:
Heavy_Metal
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Heavy_Metal »

Casca Grossa wrote: presidential sized hands
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Principal tuba, Bel Air Community Band
Old (early 1900s?) Alexander BBb proto-163
1976 Sonora (B&S 101) 4-rotor BBb
1964 Conn 20J/21J BBb (one body, both bells)
1970s Marzan Slant-rotor BBb
~1904 York 3P BBb Helicon
Old Alex Comp.F, in shop