Petrushka VS YFB 822

The bulk of the musical talk
Salazarsam33
bugler
bugler

Petrushka VS YFB 822

Post by Salazarsam33 »

Hello friends,

This question is for those of you who may have tried both before settling on their own horn. Which do you prefer and why? How is each one similar and different in terms of tone, intonation, ability to blend, and playability overall?

Both seem to be the best/most used in the piston F category.
Wisemann C
BMB F
Jmcc55
bugler
bugler

Re: Petrushka VS YFB 822

Post by Jmcc55 »

Both great F tubas. When I first picked up the Petrushka, the low C was incredibly resonant compared to most other F tubas I'd played. In general, I think the Miraphone has a bit of brighter sound than the Yamaha. Conversely, I think the sound on the Yamaha is a little more even than the Miraphone. Just takes a bit of work to even out, but it's doable! Just my two cents.
Jarrett McCourt (he/him)
Assistant Professor of Tuba and Euphonium | University of Missouri - Kansas City
Principal Tuba | Ann Arbor Symphony Orchestra
Principal Tuba | Santa Fe Opera
MacedoniaTuba
bugler
bugler

Post by MacedoniaTuba »

These are the only tubas I ever owned. The 822 was borrowed to me by a teacher and I used it for a year,before I bought my Petrushka. It was silver,10 years old tuba that he haven't played for 5 or more years. It has some tuning slides modification done on it,but intonation was still kind of weird. The low register was solid, but the high was good until F above the staff, after that it was pretty unstable and hard to play. The sound on the other hand was pretty big for Bass tuba and I considered it more like an orchestral instrument. The Petrushka,I still use, has almost the same, in my opinion,even better low register than the 822,even though it appears to be smaller than the 822(I don't know the exact numbers). The high register is 10 time easier than the one on the 822 and much clearer and intonation is much better. The only thing I liked more on the 822, was the sound,it's kind of bigger and more orchestra like.
This is my experience, but I strongly recommend to try the both models and make your experience and opinion. Also every instrument is different and it sounds different in the hands of a every players.
Cheers
Meinl Weston Tuono
Billy M.
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Billy M. »

Doc wrote:I don't necessarily care for the perceived (to my ears) blandness of the Yamaha, but the Petrushka's sound had lots of personality and presence without being bland, tubby, or uncharacteristic. If I were spending my money on a piston F, the Petrushka would be my choice over all others, although, I would not automatically turn my nose up at a really good 822.
This is about as good a reply as I could give. The Yamaha 822 is a very well made horn and it has been very popular with working professionals around the globe. But I have to agree, I think the sound is bland with little character.

The Petrushka is a wonderful German made instrument that has quite a bit more zing to it.

If you end up with a good playing example of either horn, you'll be well set. If I were proffered the best example of both, I'd be more inclined, personally, to choose the Petrushka.

Your best bet is to find a place where you can try both.
Romans 3:23-24

Billy Morris
Rudolf Meinl Model 45, Musikmesse Horn
Boosey & Hawkes Imperial Eb (19" Bell)
1968 Besson New Standard Eb (15" Bell)
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

My impression-- tuba players don't like the Yamaha for the above stated reasons... but almost everyone else who listens to it seems to be just fine with it.

I'd choose the Miraphone too... why not check out the B&S MRP F tuba, too?