Kariso cases? Bookmark and Share

The bulk of the musical talk

Kariso cases?

Postby bort » Mon May 13, 2019 5:26 pm

Any thoughts out there about Kariso cases?

They look beautiful and well-made, and slightly more form-fitting than other wood shell hard cases. Any actual experiences with them?
Hard case seems like an increasingly good idea as my 1 and 3 year old boys start ransacking every closet they can get into... :)
Handmade B&S PT6
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Kariso cases?

Postby greenbean » Mon May 13, 2019 6:47 pm

I have a Kariso case for bass trombone. Nicely made with good materials. But it is not very protective. It doesn't hold the horn at all, so the horn is just sitting on the bell inside the case with about 1/4" if padding between bell and the wood box. If I were to drop the case from just a few inches off the ground I am confident the bell would crumple...

The tuba cases appear to the same idea. A nicely padded box that the tuba sits in.
-----
King & Yamaha bass trombones
B&S & Mirafone BBb tubas
greenbean
bugler
bugler

Postby bort » Mon May 13, 2019 7:16 pm

Thanks! I figured it was like a nice version of the typical plywood case. I don't intend to leave home with it often, but want something other than the plastic MTS cases, and slightly more form fitting. Again, main goal -- hardshell protection within my house. Can be accomplished more cheaply than Kariso, Im sure... but they are pretty. :)
Handmade B&S PT6
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Postby greenbean » Mon May 13, 2019 7:40 pm

At home case? For sure! It will definitely take up a lot less real estate than an MTS or SKB...
-----
King & Yamaha bass trombones
B&S & Mirafone BBb tubas
greenbean
bugler
bugler

Postby Adam Peck » Sat May 25, 2019 5:45 pm

I have one for my Rudy. A beautiful case. Slim and well built. Two handles. Lovely liner. It can rest length wise or bell down. The padding is quite thin and does not spring back when pressed down. I would not expect it to protect the tuba if the case was dropped even a step or two. I use it only when i know other items will be packed around it....or to store it in at home.
Binghamton Philharmonic Orchestra
Tri-Cities Opera Orchestra
Brass Menagerie
Billtown Brass
Always a professional musician
Adam Peck
4 valves
4 valves

Postby bort » Sat May 25, 2019 9:19 pm

Thank you Adam. Sounds like a nice case, and again, mainly trying to find a non gigantic hard case, to keep my kids from dropping things onto a soft gig bag. Probably wouldn't leave home.

Kariso cost is comparable to MTS, so not a bad option.
Handmade B&S PT6
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Return to TubeNet