F Tuba Mouthpiece selection

The bulk of the musical talk
paulver

F Tuba Mouthpiece selection

Post by paulver »

I'm currently using a Laskey 28H on my Miraphone 186. I'm toying with the idea of getting an F Tuba...... a used Miraphone made in the mid 1970s. Considering what I'm using now, what would be a good ... or better mouthpiece for this horn? I'm new to this type of tuba, so any helpful info would be appreciated.
Billy M.
4 valves
4 valves

Re: F Tuba Mouthpiece selection

Post by Billy M. »

If you're the kind of person that likes to match mouthpiece rims, finding a used Laskey 28F or 28C may be exactly what you're looking for. Same high quality made mouthpiece and the familiarity could make the acclimation period to your new horn that much easier.
Romans 3:23-24

Billy Morris
Rudolf Meinl Model 45, Musikmesse Horn
Boosey & Hawkes Imperial Eb (19" Bell)
1968 Besson New Standard Eb (15" Bell)
BBruce107
3 valves
3 valves

Post by BBruce107 »

If you like the Laskey 28 rim you should definitely try the 28F. I also find that those Miraphone F tubas like bowl shaped cups like a PT72 or similar. The best thing to do is try a few mouthpieces once you have the tuba and see what works well for you and the horn.

Good luck in your search!
Brandon Bruce
Principal Tuba Gaylord Symphony Orchestra
Principal Tuba Alpena Symphony Orchestra
The Brute Squad
bugler
bugler

Post by The Brute Squad »

I play with a GW Matanuska on my 181. It appears to be similar to the 28F from what I can tell (just different materials). It definitely has worked really well for me.

Brandon nailed it, though. Try a few, because you never know what'll sound best until you play.
Joe K

Player of tuba, taker of photos, breaker of things (mostly software)

Miraphone 181 F w/ GW Matanuska/Yamaha John Griffiths
Kalison Daryl Smith w/ Blokepiece (#2 32.6, Orchestra Grand Cup, Symphony American shank)
stevennorsworthy
pro musician
pro musician

Post by stevennorsworthy »

Try a Doug Elliott N cup or L cup, and try the N128 rim. Call Doug and see what he has. Also, try the Euro shank. I have a MW2182 F tuba and have experimented with many mouthpieces. The Elliott cups have a great core sound that none other have.