another stand question

The bulk of the musical talk
hup_d_dup
4 valves
4 valves

Re: another stand question

Post by hup_d_dup »

happyroman wrote: In a multi-post thread, it is often helpful to use the quote feature so that everyone knows exactly which post is being referenced by your comment.
MaryAnn wrote: So....with my "youth" stand I get the bow as close to under the chair as I can get it, and I sit on the very edge of the chair. Ideally the bow would be under my butt to get the angle right.
happyroman wrote: Instead of cutting out a portion of the seat, have you tried sitting more forward on the seat of the chair so that the tuba rest is in front of the chair but still is between your legs? If you sat on just the front half of the seat while playing, I think you could accomplish the same thing as you describe.lps.
Do you really need Facebook?
happyroman
3 valves
3 valves

Post by happyroman »

timothy42b wrote:
happyroman wrote:I attended a Jacobs Master Class where he was asked about the Pivot System. He said he didn't think much of it. But it was not because he thought it completely lacked merit. He believed that many players that subscribed to the system relied on it to cause the changes necessary when shifting registers. In other words, he believed that the pivoting that occurs should be in response to the changes in pitch. The pivoting should be resultant, not causative.
Thanks. So whether the pivot is cause or effect, Jacobs agrees it occurs. I didn't know what he thought about that.

And whyever it occurs, I maintain that most tuba players do it with a head angle change rather than moving the horn like trumpet and trombone players do, so the tuba stand plus posture choice must allow for some head motion.
I totally agree with your take on the head movement. In my personal case, it happens when I allow the instrument to tilt forward a little as I ascend in register, or tilt back (becoming more upright) as I descend in register. But again, these movements are pretty slight and are the result of the pitch changes and are not the cause of the pitch change. If I understood Maryann's post correctly, she was having to change her head/neck angle to such an extreme that it was causing her pain, which is obviously not desirable on many levels.

I think that Jake would say that after a certain period of time using the pivot method, it becomes a conditioned response and is ingrains as a habit, requiring the player to perform the pivot in the same manner in order to achieve the change in pitch. He would use the example of telling a student to raise their leg when they go for a high note. The two actions are physically unrelated. However, over a period of time, playing the high note with the leg in the raised position becomes a conditioned response, and the player finds that they can't play the high note without raising the leg.
Andy
happyroman
3 valves
3 valves

Post by happyroman »

hup_d_dup wrote:
happyroman wrote: In a multi-post thread, it is often helpful to use the quote feature so that everyone knows exactly which post is being referenced by your comment.
MaryAnn wrote: So....with my "youth" stand I get the bow as close to under the chair as I can get it, and I sit on the very edge of the chair. Ideally the bow would be under my butt to get the angle right.
happyroman wrote: Instead of cutting out a portion of the seat, have you tried sitting more forward on the seat of the chair so that the tuba rest is in front of the chair but still is between your legs? If you sat on just the front half of the seat while playing, I think you could accomplish the same thing as you describe.lps.
Well, you are correct, I did miss her comment in her original post that she was already sitting as far forward as she can.

Thanks.
Andy
MaryAnn
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak

Post by MaryAnn »

Thanks; best suggestions are to get a farm work job (ha) and try having spare mouthpieces' (of which I still have quite a few) angles changed until I get one that is right, and then have my "real" one changed. So who does that? I could see the angle in the picture as posted, and yeah that is the type of thing that "may" work depending on what it does to my relationship with the paddles. As old as I am now, and the small likelihood that I'll be spending huge amounts of time playing in the foreseeable future, I really don't want to mess with the appearance of the tuba by moving the leadpipe. It would affect resale value, and it isn't a cheap resale to start with.
As for sitting on a cushion, yes that would raise me but the worst situation I had was with my 184 CC that sat on the chair, exactly the solution that is being recommended. Plus, I have really short lower legs, and they would dangle (almost do with a regular chair, and sitting on the very edge actually helps with that) and that would add another discomfort. The way I'm doing it now, with the bow as under me as I can get it, is better than that.

TY, TNFJ.
hup_d_dup
4 valves
4 valves

Post by hup_d_dup »

You and I are getting older. We adapt to make the best of our situation.

Consider a euphonium. It's not really that bad an instrument. You can still have fun with it. Relatively easy to transfer your tuba skills. Much less expensive than another tuba. Easy to carry. Neck pain will go away.

Things could be worse.

Hup
hup_d_dup
4 valves
4 valves

Post by hup_d_dup »

There were several other posts that suggested solutions that MaryAnn's description had already ruled out. I didn't want to quote them all, but since my post followed yours, I see now that it seemed like I meant to single you out. That was not my intention. Sorry about that.

Hup
MaryAnn

Post by MaryAnn »

I already play euph. It's even worse because I have to hold it up, and I'm also not as good on it. I put lighter springs in mine but the pistons are still very hard on my hands.
rodgeman
3 valves
3 valves

Post by rodgeman »

MaryAnn wrote:I already play euph. It's even worse because I have to hold it up, and I'm also not as good on it. I put lighter springs in mine but the pistons are still very hard on my hands.
For the euphonium I suggest this: http://stewartsounds.com/StewartSounds/ ... Stand.html . They also make one for tuba. I got one one on ebay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dee-Stewart-St ... 1630550446

It is like a cello peg.
MaryAnn

Post by MaryAnn »

I might have been interested in the one for euph but don't think the tuba one is better than what I'm using. Can't find one for euph. WWBW doesn't seem to have them any more.
MikeMason
6 valves
6 valves

Post by MikeMason »

A single sousaphone bit? Come in a lot of different sizes and angles. Nothing to solder or alter and cheap. Yes, you have to allow for the extra length with your main tuning slide.
Pensacola Symphony
Troy University-adjunct tuba instructor
Yamaha yfb621 with 16’’ bell,with blokepiece symphony
Eastman 6/4 with blokepiece symphony/profundo
happyroman
3 valves
3 valves

Post by happyroman »

hup_d_dup wrote:
There were several other posts that suggested solutions that MaryAnn's description had already ruled out. I didn't want to quote them all, but since my post followed yours, I see now that it seemed like I meant to single you out. That was not my intention. Sorry about that.

Hup
Thanks. I appreciate that.
Andy