Page 1 of 2

Kansas City here I come - Kanstul tooling bought by B.A.C.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 5:50 pm
by sugawi
All Kanstul tooling and parts will be moved to Kansas City, Missouri.
All parts should be available for purchase in the couple of weeks and eventually tubas will be available for custom order though to set up manufacturing could take up to a year.
I have confirmed this information with B.A.C.
Kanstul brand was not sold and if it remains as is Kanstul models will be built under different name.
Video:
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=412760042935658&id=255820681142843&refsrc=https%3A%2F%2Fm.facebook.com%2Fcoolisbac%2Fvideos%2F412760042935658&_rdr

https://www.coolisbac.com/

Re: Kansas City here I come - Kanstul tooling bought by B.A.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 11:47 pm
by Will Jones
This is great news!!!

I hope they continue developing the designs. I love the euphonium, and that's what I play, but it was like Zig stopped at 95% when he realized the market was small. Fingers crossed!

Re: Kansas City here I come - Kanstul tooling bought by B.A.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 11:49 pm
by Mark Finley
Oooo, just realized they will be able to build the kanstul contrabass trombone. I like that one!

Re: Kansas City here I come - Kanstul tooling bought by B.A.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 12:07 am
by SousaWarrior9
BAC is a fantastic company. The kanstul equipment is in good hands. This is great news.

Re: Kansas City here I come - Kanstul tooling bought by B.A.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 1:44 am
by groth
Unless they can compete with the Red Wave financially it will end up another black hole money pit. The silver lining is however, someone is still making American tubas.

Re: Kansas City here I come - Kanstul tooling bought by B.A.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 10:03 pm
by KiltieTuba
Mark Finley wrote:Oooo, just realized they will be able to build the kanstul contrabass trombone. I like that one!


OOH! I had not thought of this!

Re: Kansas City here I come - Kanstul tooling bought by B.A.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 12:58 am
by bort
Kanstul would not build a rotary tuba.

I wonder if BAC is willing to give it a shot?

Re: Kansas City here I come - Kanstul tooling bought by B.A.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 8:13 am
by SousaWarrior9
bort wrote:Kanstul would not build a rotary tuba.

I wonder if BAC is willing to give it a shot?


Judging by their custom projects this far, it seems they're willing to build just about anything so long as one is willing to pay for it. So I'd reckon it seems hopeful that there will be one eventually but it might take a while.

Re: Kansas City here I come - Kanstul tooling bought by B.A.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 10:04 am
by toobagrowl
First time I've ever heard of "B.A.C". Looking at their page, it looks like they specialize in trombones and trumpets. I would be surprised if they ever make custom-order tubas, even with the Kanstul equipment they will aquire. Guess time will tell......

Re: Kansas City here I come - Kanstul tooling bought by B.A.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 10:51 am
by KiltieTuba
Kevin works there and is a tuba player. I’m sure he’ll want to work on tuba stuff.

Re: Kansas City here I come - Kanstul tooling bought by B.A.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 1:29 pm
by Billy M.
bort wrote:Kanstul would not build a rotary tuba.

I wonder if BAC is willing to give it a shot?


Bort is already making plans to sell his PT-6... that wasn't long. :lol:

Re: Kansas City here I come - Kanstul tooling bought by B.A.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 1:32 pm
by Tubainsauga
I'm excited to see what BAC will do with the tooling. Their trombones are absolutely gorgeous and apparently they play pretty well too. Considering how many horns Kanstul made based on vintage designs, it seems like it'll be a good match and I hope they eventually start up a tuba line. I'll start saving for a flying tuba now.

Re: Kansas City here I come - Kanstul tooling bought by B.A.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 1:41 pm
by bort
Billy M. wrote:
bort wrote:Kanstul would not build a rotary tuba.

I wonder if BAC is willing to give it a shot?


Bort is already making plans to sell his PT-6... that wasn't long. :lol:


I'll even sell it to try and buy something that may or may not exist at some point in the future! :P

Re: Kansas City here I come - Kanstul tooling bought by B.A.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 12:48 am
by greenbean
BAC has always been great at hype and promises. At some point, they will have to deliver the goods. Time will tell...

Re: Kansas City here I come - Kanstul tooling bought by B.A.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 11:26 pm
by bloke
French Besson-style trumpets - OK, I guess...

tubas - :roll:

Re: Kansas City here I come - Kanstul tooling bought by B.A.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 1:12 am
by SousaWarrior9
greenbean wrote:BAC has always been great at hype and promises. At some point, they will have to deliver the goods. Time will tell...

Having played a number of their trombones and trumpets, I don't think they have any problems 'delivering the goods'. Their horns are the real deal, and at least in my opinion, most definitely live up to the hype and promises. I've always been bummed they haven't made a tuba as of yet, and I'm excited about the potential of such a horn, especially if their tubas are the same quality as their trombones and trumpets. And with Kevin on staff, I'm confident that, if they do get into the tuba market, they'll be solid horns to say the least.

Re: Kansas City here I come - Kanstul tooling bought by B.A.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 10:45 am
by Davidus1
SousaWarrior9 wrote:
greenbean wrote:BAC has always been great at hype and promises. At some point, they will have to deliver the goods. Time will tell...

Having played a number of their trombones and trumpets, I don't think they have any problems 'delivering the goods'. Their horns are the real deal, and at least in my opinion, most definitely live up to the hype and promises. I've always been bummed they haven't made a tuba as of yet, and I'm excited about the potential of such a horn, especially if their tubas are the same quality as their trombones and trumpets. And with Kevin on staff, I'm confident that, if they do get into the tuba market, they'll be solid horns to say the least.


That would be awesome. It would really be nice to maintain an American manufacturer of tubas. A highly endangered species! I know nothing of manufacturing but I'm sure its hard to maintain quality and produce enough to make it profitable. Hope it works for them. I've known others with the BAC trombones that rave about them.

Re: Kansas City here I come - Kanstul tooling bought by B.A.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 4:08 pm
by toobagrowl
Some ppl here seem to think Kanstul was the only American maker of tubas; forgetting about Conn-Selmer. I mean, I'm not interested in the modern Conn-Selmer tubas (Conn and King) as they are just not made like they used to be made. And there are only a few models available that have been around a long time, mostly aimed at the school market. But at least they are still around.

As for B.A.C., does anyone there have experience or interest in actually building tubas and/or sousas? Seems to me building tubas from scratch would be MUCH more difficult, and take more skill and time to build than trombones and trumpets, which are probably the easiest of brass instruments to fabricate :idea:
Or maybe they will do custom jobs or refurbishing on existing tubas?
I will "believe it when I see it" regarding B.A.C. actually building tubas.... :wink:

Re: Kansas City here I come - Kanstul tooling bought by B.A.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 4:37 pm
by SousaWarrior9
toobagrowl wrote:As for B.A.C., does anyone there have experience or interest in actually building tubas and/or sousas? Seems to me building tubas from scratch would be MUCH more difficult, and take more skill and time to build than trombones and trumpets, which are probably the easiest of brass instruments to fabricate :idea:
Or maybe they will do custom jobs or refurbishing on existing tubas?
I will "believe it when I see it" regarding B.A.C. actually building tubas.... :wink:


Kevin has frankentuba building experience, I know, and I could see them getting into the tuba game as they expand. Probably won't be for a few years, but I can see it happening potentially.

Re: Kansas City here I come - Kanstul tooling bought by B.A.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 6:06 pm
by Davidus1
toobagrowl wrote:Some ppl here seem to think Kanstul was the only American maker of tubas; forgetting about Conn-Selmer. I mean, I'm not interested in the modern Conn-Selmer tubas (Conn and King) as they are just not made like they used to be made. And there are only a few models available that have been around a long time, mostly aimed at the school market. But at least they are still around.

As for B.A.C., does anyone there have experience or interest in actually building tubas and/or sousas? Seems to me building tubas from scratch would be MUCH more difficult, and take more skill and time to build than trombones and trumpets, which are probably the easiest of brass instruments to fabricate :idea:
Or maybe they will do custom jobs or refurbishing on existing tubas?
I will "believe it when I see it" regarding B.A.C. actually building tubas.... :wink:


I don't think people are forgetting that but in the last 75 years we've gone from many to few as far as instrument makers.......nice to see one stay around!