Wessex Gnagey vs Eastman Eb. Which is better?

The bulk of the musical talk
Davidus1
bugler
bugler

Wessex Gnagey vs Eastman Eb. Which is better?

Post by Davidus1 »

Hello,

Any owners of a Gnagey Eb that have played the Eastman Eb? Curious how they compare and what the thoughts on each are. I don't know that we've had that many comments about the Gnagey. All comments appreciated.
John 3:16

Mack Brass 200S BBb
Yamaha YSL-630 .525 Trombone
Conn 15I Euphonium
Mack Brass Euphonium
Ltrain
3 valves
3 valves

Re: Wessex Gnagey vs Eastman Eb. Which is better?

Post by Ltrain »

Apples vs Oranges...

4P+1R vs 4P comp.

A more fair comparison would be Wessex Cavalry vs Eastman 853...

Build quality of the Eastman will win hands down.
Eastman 853 Eb ("Edith")
1963 King 1250 Sousaphone ("Jackie O")
Aguilar Amplification
--------------
Founder, L Train Brass Band
Patrase
bugler
bugler

Post by Patrase »

I have never played the Eastman, but re the Gnagey:

The valve ergonomics are good, relatively sort stroke, relatively close together. Slides are easy to reach. I did find the second valve slide filled with water pretty quickly.

Instrument has a killer low range. Easier to nail than compensating Eb tubas I have played.

A band friend played a Gnagey against his Norwegian Star and said the Star had a better high range but the Gnagey had better low range. He normally uses a pt 65, so with a pt64 you could probably improve the high range on the Gnagey.

The lower range fingering on any 4+1 Eb isn't as easy as a compensating tuba, IMHO, so if the Eastman is compensating then fingering will be easier, if the third valve compensating loop is long enough. I own a 4+1 Eb tuba and if I played it more then would convert to a 6 valve configuration option. So guess I am a bit weird in that regard as no one else seems to do that.

But standard disclaimer - play them both. Specifically my advice is play them both with a tuning drone and as many different mouthpeices as you can supply/beg/borrow/steal and see which one you can play best in tune with any of those mouthpieces. Focus on how well the 2nd, 3rd and 4th partials are in tune in particular. Whichever has those lined up nicely would be the one to get, assuming alternate fingering brings 5th partial in tune (if out of tune) and the higher partials are manageable.
Miraphone Norwegian Star
Yamaha YBB-632 Bb Neo
Davidus1
bugler
bugler

Post by Davidus1 »

Ltrain wrote:Apples vs Oranges...

4P+1R vs 4P comp.

A more fair comparison would be Wessex Cavalry vs Eastman 853...

Build quality of the Eastman will win hands down.
That's not the comparison that I asked about. Not interested in the Cavalry. I suspected the Eastman build was better and appreciate that info.

Mack Brass 200S BBb
Conn 15I Euphonium
Mack Brass Euphonium
Davidus1
bugler
bugler

Post by Davidus1 »

Patrase wrote:I have never played the Eastman, but re the Gnagey:

The valve ergonomics are good, relatively sort stroke, relatively close together. Slides are easy to reach. I did find the second valve slide filled with water pretty quickly.

Instrument has a killer low range. Easier to nail than compensating Eb tubas I have played.

A band friend played a Gnagey against his Norwegian Star and said the Star had a better high range but the Gnagey had better low range. He normally uses a pt 65, so with a pt64 you could probably improve the high range on the Gnagey.

The lower range fingering on any 4+1 Eb isn't as easy as a compensating tuba, IMHO, so if the Eastman is compensating then fingering will be easier, if the third valve compensating loop is long enough. I own a 4+1 Eb tuba and if I played it more then would convert to a 6 valve configuration option. So guess I am a bit weird in that regard as no one else seems to do that.

Thanks for the information. Much appreciated. This is what I was looking for. Haven't really seen that much about the Gnagey, especially lately and am curious what owners think of the horn. I won't be in a position to play them back to back unfortunately.

But standard disclaimer - play them both. Specifically my advice is play them both with a tuning drone and as many different mouthpeices as you can supply/beg/borrow/steal and see which one you can play best in tune with any of those mouthpieces. Focus on how well the 2nd, 3rd and 4th partials are in tune in particular. Whichever has those lined up nicely would be the one to get, assuming alternate fingering brings 5th partial in tune (if out of tune) and the higher partials are manageable.

Mack Brass 200S BBb
Conn 15I Euphonium
Mack Brass Euphonium
Douglas
Low Brass Teacher
Low Brass Teacher

Post by Douglas »

In that price range, you may also want to look at a used Minel Weston 2141. They play really well and the quality is hard to argue with.
Doug Black, D.M.A.
Assistant Professor of Music, Alabama A&M University
Eastman Tuba Artist
DouglasJB
4 valves
4 valves

Post by DouglasJB »

Douglas wrote:In that price range, you may also want to look at a used Minel Weston 2141. They play really well and the quality is hard to argue with.
I agree 100%, great horns. I use mine for everything.
bh2001
lurker
lurker

Post by bh2001 »

I own a Gnagey and have had a brief play of the Eastman and ..... You'll have to try them for yourself because they are both great, it will come down to personal preference. It also might be whether you are used to compensating or non-compensating. If you can't test them out go with your prefered system. I don't think you'll be sorry either way.