MW 2182 W Questions

The bulk of the musical talk
PMAKH
bugler
bugler

MW 2182 W Questions

Post by PMAKH »

Is the MW 2182 W discontinued? I found no information regarding it in the Meinl Weston website, but retailers are still taking preorders for late year shipments.

Also, who’s still rocking one?
Irving Atrixco
BME student at Arkansas Tech University
Meinl Weston 2182 F Tuba
ckalaher1
3 valves
3 valves

Re: MW 2182 W Questions

Post by ckalaher1 »

Nice tubas. A close-to-rotary sound out of the bell.

I think the MRP-F is getting the same treatment through the Buffet website; it’s kind of disappeared.

With regards to what that means, I haven’t a clue.
Scubatuba
bugler
bugler

Post by Scubatuba »

The website is European, therefore not all product will be noted, yes they are still being produced, and sure "dealers" are standing by ready to take your order......with no idea whether a product actually exists......I would call Buffet directly for a real answer, just my two cents.
stevennorsworthy
pro musician
pro musician

Post by stevennorsworthy »

Cascio has one on eBay, new, silver, in stock for sale.

I bought a mint condition used one recently. It’s great, has incredible clarity and color. Martin Wick is making MAW valves for it, which in theory will make it play with less airway turbulence, which is more noticeable the smaller the instrument, and especially more noticeable in the lower register. Still, it has a good low register as is. It is a 4/4 F tuba and bucks the current trend of ‘bigger is better’ in F tubas. Just my humble opinion. If you want a more versatile F tuba, you may want the Meinl Weston 2250, it is a 6/4 and has a bigger low register but probably doesn’t sing as well in the mid and high register. Some say the 2250 is ‘the F tuba’ at the moment. It’s all about tradeoffs.
Tom
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Tom »

In my opinion, the Meinl Weston (now Buffet Group) website has always been sparse when it comes to the specialty instruments or special editions of their standard production instruments. Their current website probably has more information and detailed photos than they've ever had, but I would not call it encyclopedic by any means.

The best MW availability information seems to come from the active dealers such as Baltimore Brass, Dillon Music, etc. If you want to buy a model XYZ, they'll find out if it is possible and what it will cost.

Point being, don't read into it too much...their website has always been hit-or-miss.
The Darling Of The Thirty-Cents-Sharp Low D♭'s.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

From what I understand, special orders are still possible for tubas that are not currently in production... but, it'll cost you.

A few years ago, I had inquired through BBC about the price of a new Meinl Weston 32. The quoted price would make anyone's head spin -- $14,500 for lacquer, $16,000 for silver (that was 2016... so 2019 prices are surely even higher). I guess that's how MW shields themselves from receiving too many special orders. :)
Scubatuba
bugler
bugler

Post by Scubatuba »

One must bear in mind that the website is hosted in Europe, therefore sone
or available and/or lacking in translation. As far as I know- special orders are not out of control cost wise, but does include a 50% down. I'm not sure what BBC is but I'd also be suprised if the factory still has tooling for the 32.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Scubatuba wrote:One must bear in mind that the website is hosted in Europe, therefore sone
or available and/or lacking in translation. As far as I know- special orders are not out of control cost wise, but does include a 50% down. I'm not sure what BBC is but I'd also be suprised if the factory still has tooling for the 32.
BBC = Baltimore Brass Co
swillafew
5 valves
5 valves

Post by swillafew »

I don't know that the W is but I have a silver 2182. It was purchased used on the strength of the low register. I don't know about the relative sizes of many horns, but I got to try it side by side with another Meinl Weston (I think it was a 2250 but not certain), and they were both good but this one was bigger on the low register. The seller told me his orchestra coworkers liked the other one better. I have been thrilled with it.
MORE AIR
LowBrassNYC
bugler
bugler

Post by LowBrassNYC »

Careful with that eBay listing. I know someone who purchased one and it was NOT the W model.
Ryan Fisk
———
Meinl Weston 2250TL, 6460, 6450/2