My 1940 FA Reynolds 4 Valve Baritone

The bulk of the musical talk
TubaPresident
bugler
bugler

My 1940 FA Reynolds 4 Valve Baritone

Post by TubaPresident »

I have a FA Reynolds 4 valve baritone with the US engraving (indicating it was used by Army Air Force service bands in World War II). The 4th valve doesn't move (I'm pretty sure it's the valve since the valve is mangled at the bottom), it has 2 sort of big dents, and needs to be polished up. Does anyone know how much these typically go for? The serial number is 36XX, which means, according to multiple serial number sources, it was made in 1940.
Kevin Nicholson

1940 F.A. Reynolds - 4 Valve Baritone (US Model)
TubaPresident
bugler
bugler

Re: My 1940 FA Reynolds 4 Valve Baritone

Post by TubaPresident »

bloke wrote:As yours is currently - defacto - a 3-valve, someone on facebook just boasted (yesterday) picking up an older/playable Reynolds baritone w/case for $12.

I'm sure yours (even broken) would sell for more than $12, but the point is that stuff like this really has no listed "book value"...It's strictly individual buyers and sellers meeting and negotiating.

If not worn/leaky, those are fun players. You're considering repairing the valve and keeping/playing it (not selling it), yes?
I really never play it, except for Tuba Christmas and oiling the valves and greasing the slides every once in a while. Really just wanted to see what people have seen it go for. If I ever decide to commit to selling it (besides those who message me when seeing this post), then I'd put it in the sell thread.
Kevin Nicholson

1940 F.A. Reynolds - 4 Valve Baritone (US Model)