Marzan BBb
John Packer JP-274 euphonium
King 607F
Posting and You
scottw
5 valves
5 valves

Post by scottw »

montre8 wrote:Don't skimp on a cheaply made stand! Spend the 70 or so bucks on the Baltimore Brass playing stand. It's rugged, has a wide range of adjustment, is well made and very cleverly designed. It's worth twice the price, especially when compared to the DEG stand.
I've owned every type, Stewart, DEG, Weight-lifter, K&M and this BB stand wins hands down.......

Mo
I absolutely agree--BB stand wins hands-down!
Bearin' up!
THE TUBA
Deletedaccounts
Deletedaccounts

Post by THE TUBA »

I have a K&M stand; it is okay. I have heard of some people using a drumset's "throne" to set their tuba on.
[/post]
Sally Larsen
bugler
bugler

Post by Sally Larsen »

Take a look at the Tubassist. I've found it works well in a wide variety of situations - different size players (I'm 5'5", my son is 6'2"), different horns (from a tall old Yamaha top action through vintage Ebs and a very heavy King) and any seating situation (including benches and cheap plastic chairs).
It is not cheap, but it really works.
>Sally (who used to have trouble wrestling with her horn, but not any more) Larsen
Tubaryan12
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Tubaryan12 »

Drum thrones are good (and as cheap as $20). I use one...It's not as portable as the B.B.Co. stand but alot cheaper and has a bigger pad to rest the horn on. In fact I would list the size of the pad as the only drawback.
Marzan BBb
King 607F
Posting and You
porkchopsisgood
pro musician
pro musician

Post by porkchopsisgood »

The new Baltimore Brass Company Stand is incredible.

Incredible.

Highly recommended.
Allen V. Carter
Eastman 836
MW 2145
MW 45SLZ
XO Bass Bone

crbarnes
bugler
bugler

My Experience

Post by crbarnes »

After a lot of experimenting, I settled on the TubAssist and have not regretted it. I frequently play in places with weird chairs that were purchased because they matched, or for choirs at churches. The TubAssist works and is much less bulky than a conventional tuba stand. Buy an inexpensive chair pad as suggested and you will be a lot happier and won't get a sore bumm from the metal piece you sit on with this.

http://www.tubassist.com/default.htm
Last edited by crbarnes on Mon Jul 25, 2005 9:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
sloan
On Ice
On Ice

DEG Tuba Rest Repair

Post by sloan »

I have two DEG Tuba Rests - and finally had a failure of the sort that many people have reported. The bolt which tightens to hold the support in place STRIPPED (how can a hand-tightened bolt strip its threads?)

I repaired it on the spot by reversing the bolt (owners will see how this helps - and why I needed to pester the AV crew for a pair of pliers).

When I asked about replacement bolts, some bright person pointed out that the design was very similar to a bicycle seat post.

A trip to the bike shop and $10 got me a standard quick release skewerr which works perfectly.

That said...the next tuba stand I buy will be the Baltimore Brass version.
Kenneth Sloan
tubatooter1940
6 valves
6 valves

Post by tubatooter1940 »

Hi gang,
I would like to see a picture of the Baltimore Brass tuba stand.
I got a stand off E-bay that not only supports the bottom bow but has two arms with supports for half way up the horn. This sits on a stainless steel tripod that swivels and tightens up with a finger tightened wing nut.
I want a stand to take the whole load. I would like a stand that I can set up,adjust,sit down and play the horn with one hand,sometimes, and then get up and walk off-leaving the horn fully supported. The stand I have is a little flimsy and I am looking for a heavier,beefier one.
scottw
5 valves
5 valves

Post by scottw »

That sounds like the Wenger Tuba Tamer or some generic of it. A couple problems with it: 1). You can't get all that close to it when playing--the feet/legs are awful. 2). If you have to travel with it, you'd better bring a roadie with you! 8)
Bearin' up!
Tubaryan12
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Tubaryan12 »

That sounds like the Wenger Tuba Tamer or some generic of it. A couple problems with it: 1). You can't get all that close to it when playing--the feet/legs are awful. 2). If you have to travel with it, you'd better bring a roadie with you!
I just bought a Wenger tuba tamer used on ebay. On point #1 I must disagree. I thought the same thing when I set it up the 1st time with the horn in the thing and I was very disappointed. The next day I continued to adjust the thing and found if I adjust the angle of the horn so that the bell was moving toward me I could get the horn as close to me as if I were holding it in my lap. Now I love the thing. As for point #2....you couldn't be more correct :lol:
Marzan BBb
King 607F
Posting and You
tubatooter1940
6 valves
6 valves

Post by tubatooter1940 »

Do you have to have the chair that goes with the Wenger Tuba Tamer or is the tuba stand separate and possibly be used with any chair?
Tubaryan12
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Tubaryan12 »

Do you have to have the chair that goes with the Wenger Tuba Tamer or is the tuba stand separate and possibly be used with any chair?
I use any chair in the room at the time. Of course the stand has to be adjusted (for height only) to each chair so I try to use the same chair at all times.
Marzan BBb
King 607F
Posting and You
tubeast
4 valves
4 valves

Post by tubeast »

Hi folks,

just wanted to chime in on this because over the last week I got to think a LOT about tuba stands.
At 6´4" and with a long body, my quite compact PT20 will make me sit in half a bow forward if resting IN my lap. (This must be a GREAT horn for small people).
That´s bad for both back spine and breathing volume. Plus, being slanted to the left in that situation, the horn´s valves force me to assume an awkward hand position.
At home, I´m using a height adjustable bar stool and the tall K&M stand. Of course that´s way too much equipment to lug around on a tour, and the K&M is too tall to be used with a normal chair.

The problem with a tuba stand is, that the horn will be kind of fixed in one position to balance comfortably. In a crowded stage situation and three sheets of music on the stand you´ll find yourself moving it sideways all the time or get a cramp in your eyeballs. I frequently need to readjust the stand´s height, too.

So last week, I just set my horn´s bottom bow on my left leg, and it worked great: upright sitting position and freedom to move in all dimensions. Well balanced horn and lack of strain in my right wrist. Very comfortable, except for the pain in my left leg that built up after maybe two of nine hours of band practice.
This could be solved by a pad like the ones used in football.
(Maybe someone could come up with a nice and elegant satin covered pad to strap on one´s leg on stage ?)

As to the increased amount of dents in padded bottom bows:
I guess these bow covers just make you think your horn is protected against impact and make you careless.
Bad idea. If not equipped with a padded, rigid shell (maybe of plastic) these will just guard your horn against scratches, not dents.
Hans
Melton 46 S
1903 or earlier GLIER Helicon, customized Hermuth MP
2009 WILLSON 6400 RZ5, customized GEWA 52 + Wessex "Chief"
MW HoJo 2011 FA, Wessex "Chief"