Buescher Jumbo Sousaphone

The bulk of the musical talk
Art Hovey
pro musician
pro musician

Re: Buescher Jumbo Sousaphone

Post by Art Hovey »

That monster sat in my attic for about 40 years. I originally found it in an old music store in Somerville, near Boston. The first time I mentioned it on the Tubenet nobody was interested. When I finally found a buyer I was hoping that he would make it play and was planning to send him a message saying "your're a better man than I am, Gongadin".
Very glad that it has been restored at last. I would love to give it a honk some day if I am still able to lift it.
roughrider
4 valves
4 valves

Post by roughrider »

Congratulations! That is the find of the year and it made my day to see it! Enjoy that beautiful Buescherphone!
1930 King "Symphony" Recording Bass BBb
1916 Holton "Mammoth" Upright Bass BBb
1994 King 2341 Upright Bass BBb
Wedge H2 Solo mouthpieces
Stofer-Geib mouthpieces
edsel585960
5 valves
5 valves

Post by edsel585960 »

Nice looking horn now. I'm sure it rattles the walls. :)
Conn 20-21 J
Conn 10J, Conn 26 K, Martin Mammoth, Mirafone 186, Soviet Helicon, Holton Raincatcher Sousaphone, Yamaha 103, King 1240.
toobagrowl
5 valves
5 valves

Post by toobagrowl »

The Buescher Jumbo looks great after the refurbishing 8) It's always so satisfying to ressurect vintage classic sousas :tuba:
Paul Scott
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Paul Scott »

Wow, talk about a transformation! I have one of these beasts and they are BIG. The 30" bell is not just flare (as on Martins), but is a fully proportional bell. Mine has a very interesting reverse taper in the main slide. Also built in 1930.

I've found that if I play it gently it does the work for me. And outdoors it will basically vibrate the neighborhood!
Adjunct Tuba Professor
William Paterson University
Wayne, NJ
Gongadin
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Gongadin »

I just saw this, and I'm thrilled! The horn looks beautiful. If permitted, I too would like to try playing this horn next time I'm in your area.
Thanks for giving a shout out to Greg - he is a great guy as well as a great repair person. I'll pass this thread along to him.
humBell
4 valves
4 valves

Post by humBell »

Congrats on bringing the Jumbo back to life!

I done a J4 parade with a Conn 46k, and since then almost didn't notice the weight of the smaller sousas i used in more recent parades over the weekend... I should march with it more frequently.
Thanks for playing!