Weril J640 BBb. Any experience?... Bookmark and Share

The bulk of the musical talk

Weril J640 BBb. Any experience?...

Postby greenbean » Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:16 pm

Anyone played a Weril J640 3/4 BBb? Any thoughts?...

It is a small 4-piston-valve tuba with students in mind, I think.
-----
King & Yamaha bass trombones
B&S & Mirafone BBb tubas
greenbean
bugler
bugler

Re: Weril J640 BBb. Any experience?...

Postby Art Hovey » Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:34 pm

If that's the one that's similar to a YBB-103 but with 4 front pistons arranged in a nice arc then yes. I had one for a while.
Intonation was pretty good except above the staff, where it went wacky. The valve guides were troublesome, but I think Weril eventually switched to Yamaha-style guides. It's a decent tuba for a youngster, but now Eastman makes a better one.
Art Hovey
pro musician
pro musician

Postby greenbean » Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:36 am

Yep - that is the one. Your description is spot-on. Nice little horn and intonation is very good up to F above the staff. Then it gets pretty squirrelly.
-----
King & Yamaha bass trombones
B&S & Mirafone BBb tubas
greenbean
bugler
bugler

Postby bloke » Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:44 am

In the really distant past, I sold a few of them - as Yamaha 621's have always been priced about as high as a Miraphone 186, and those Weril things were about the only low-cost alternatives to the Yamaha 621 tubas. If priced quite low (used), you can certainly balance the price vs. the use it might offer you.

Now, there are better options, and I offer these:
(much higher grade/better build/better playability/larger bore in the valveset, nickel silver precision-fit slide tubes, stainless steel close-tolerance pistons with carefully fabricated porting)
INFO :arrow: https://www.jpmusicalinstruments.com/prod/john-packer-jp179b-tuba

Adjusted for inflation, I have them priced about like I priced the Weril tubas decades ago...perhaps (again, inflation-adjusted) lower.
bloke
musician/technician/innovator

Postby ronr » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:09 pm

I owned one for a while. Wasn’t impressed. Clunky, valves worked poorly. Didn't like the sound. I was looking for a cheap version of the YBB621, and that’s exactly what I got.
ronr
bugler
bugler

Postby bloke » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:46 am

ronr wrote:I owned one for a while. Wasn’t impressed. Clunky, valves worked poorly. Didn't like the sound. I was looking for a cheap version of the YBB621, and that’s exactly what I got.

The bore size with the Weril was/is more like the 102/104/104/105 Yamaha models, rather than the larger bore of the 621 Yamaha model. The body size on ALL of these tubas is the same, and the body taper is virtually identical - 10_ ... 621 ... Weril.
Except for the fact that the Weril didn't sport a several-feet-long mouthpipe before the valves, it was probably more like a 103 (front-action) with a 4th valve added...but (assuming no wear) 103's feature better-made valves than Weril, so they are more of a pleasure to play.
bloke

Return to TubeNet