JP 179B or JP 379B test drive

The bulk of the musical talk
MN_TimTuba

JP 179B or JP 379B test drive

Post by MN_TimTuba »

I'm considering downsizing from my Holton BBb 345 (or possibly adding to the stable), and am looking to see whether one of you in MN (or nearby ND/WI) owns a JP 179B or 379B that is willing to allow me to do a play test for an hour or so. I live in Wadena county, about mid-way between Brainerd and Fargo. I do have some time off in the end of July to drive further if need be.
I read consistently good reviews on both horns, but I'd sure like to give them a try before taking the next step.
Thanks, much.
Tim
MN_TimTuba

Re: JP 179B or JP 379B test drive

Post by MN_TimTuba »

Mark Finley wrote:Well you are welcome to come to Dallas to play my 379b, but I'll Save you the trip. It plays like a 186 with the older, smaller bell.

The 179b plays like a really good yamaha 621. Quick response, and point and shoot intonation

It just depends which style of music you are playing. The 379 has a rounder, more symphonic tone.
Mark,
Thanks for the offer! I have a brother in San Antonio, but will have to wait until next year to visit him. If plans change I'll certainly contact you.
I also appreciate the descriptions, they do help.
Again - thank you, kindly.
Tim
MN_TimTuba

Post by MN_TimTuba »

fulerzoo wrote:Tim - I will be in Park Rapids MN in ten days for a week of fishing. I could bring my Marzan BBb for you to trial. It's much more like a downsized 345. You know how to contact me..............
PM sent.
RobHanson
lurker
lurker

Post by RobHanson »

Hi Tim

There are a few dealers pretty close to you. Sarelettes are probably closest

https://www.jpmusicalinstruments.com/st ... ena+county" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank

Rob Hanson
ronr
bugler
bugler

Post by ronr »

Sarlette’s is a great place. You not find a friendlier group of people.
MN_TimTuba

Post by MN_TimTuba »

Thanks for the tip on Sarelette's. When the time comes I may check with them, but they don't list new tubas from JP on their website, and I've already been talking with Joe S, which is always a good thing to do.
Tim