Alexander Tubas

The bulk of the musical talk
jmerring
3 valves
3 valves

M&M

Post by jmerring »

Replying to 'Ace;' Are you trying to tell us that M&M Horns are made by Alexander? The site that the link leads to does not come right out and say so. The horns keep popping up on E-Bay for much less than the supposed retail. I live about 30 miles away from the warehouse that they are sold from and will make it a point to go there, if the Alexander connection is true. Comments?
Ace
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Ace »

To Jmerring above.

I wasn't suggesting anything.

Please check the site again.

http://www.tubamm.com/site/products.htm

Click on "products", then on any of the horns with an A- prefix. Note in the lower right corner the logo for Gebr. Alexander Mainz. To me, that indicates TubaMM is a dealer or distributor of Alexander tubas. (?) If you find out something about this, please let the board know. Thanks.

Ace
jmerring
3 valves
3 valves

M&M

Post by jmerring »

Thanks, friends. I think I WILL drop by the warehouse. It might be very educational.
jmerring
3 valves
3 valves

Alexander Tubas

Post by jmerring »

Hi, Friends;

I contacted local seller of the M&M horns, asking whether they were made by Alexander, since the "a" series that is shown on the M&M website are seemingly Alexanders. The response I received:

"No. Alexander are made by Alexander in Germany
We do have in stock at this time the ( clones ) as in the picture for delivery
Alexander does sell a send (sic; not this writer's) line of tubas that we also have listed
Thank you "

I am going to try to get to the warehouse/showroom and look more closely at the horns. I will post an update as soon as I am able to do it.
Jim
Last edited by jmerring on Mon Jul 25, 2005 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ace
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Ace »

It seems to me that these guys could be in serious legal trouble. It is outrageous, if not criminal, that they would put the Gebr. Alexander Mainz logo on their A-series ads if these are not genuine Alexander tubas. I've seen a lot of shady business practices over the years, and this may be one of them.
cjk
5 valves
5 valves

Post by cjk »

I don't know what you guys are going off the handle about.

I don't see anything that suggests that M&M Instruments or Daylan instruments are made by Alexander on that website, http://www.tubamm.com.

They obviously sell three makes:

--Alexander
--M&M
--Daylan

What's so confusing there ???
ThomasDodd
5 valves
5 valves

Post by ThomasDodd »

cjk wrote:What's so confusing there ???
I think the confusion is between "M&M Instruments" (a instrument manufacturer) and "TubaMM" (a seller of M &M instruments).

Someone posted a link to TubaMM as a source for new Alexander tubas. Someone else read that as M&M instruments being made by the same company. So they contacted a local M&M Instruments retailer and asked if they were Alexanders. The reply was poorly worded, but that was from the local seller, not TubaMM.

TubaMM appears to differentiate their Alex products from the M&M products. Unless "6th generation" could equal "26 years" in somone's mind. I would think 6 generations to be more than 26 years though, at least 60 :roll:

So, while TubaMM sellse M&M, Dalyan, and Alexander tubas, not all places that sell M&M tubas will carry Alexander tubas.
cjk
5 valves
5 valves

Post by cjk »

I think the confusion is between "M&M Instruments" (a instrument manufacturer) and "TubaMM" (a seller of M &M instruments).
I believe that M&M is a "house" brand of "TubaMM". They seem to be the only place that sells them.

Google "MM-2A BBb Tuba" and see what shows up.
Someone posted a link to TubaMM as a source for new Alexander tubas. Someone else read that as M&M instruments being made by the same company. So they contacted a local M&M Instruments retailer and asked if they were Alexanders. The reply was poorly worded, but that was from the local seller, not TubaMM.
Please also note that "tubamm" and the "local seller" you mention are both in Florida. They are one in the same.

I'm still not confused. sorry!
Rick Denney
Resident Genius

Post by Rick Denney »

the elephant wrote:Hmm . . .

Sounds intentionally unclear to me.

So do they sell Alexander tubas or not?
"TubaMM" appears to sell Alexanders on their website. They do not publish prices, which is consistent with the likely fact that the instruments are available by special order only.

The local store that may be connected with "TubaMM" has Chinese tubas in stock. They do not have Alexanders in stock. Alexander did not make their Chinese tubas.

It seemed clear to me.

I believe that the mistyped word is "second", as in "Alexander does sell a second line of tubas that we also have listed." In other words, it's not their primary line that they have in their store, it's their second line.

I really do wish that stores would have at least one person available to answer questions who can communicate in the language of the land. It's annoying but it's the worst sin I see here. I don't think I see a claim that Alexander tubas are being stenciled, or that tubas marked "Alexander" are not made by Alexander.

Rick "who buys cameras from Ukrainians and who sees better writing from them" Denney
Rick Denney
Resident Genius

Post by Rick Denney »

the elephant wrote:The writing is very unclear.
Yes, up to a point, but I still think we are making it harder to understand than it is. The ad of theirs that I saw on TubaNews said "Alexander and M&M Tubas". I have seen or heard nothing at all to suggest that the Alexander tubas they advertise are anything but the real thing. I have only seen their words that said they only had M&M tubas in stock, and indeed they are not Alexanders and they are made in China.

Whether they actually sell them or just advertise them to improve their line card is another matter, but that would require somebody willing to buy one to see.

Rick "who thinks the facts are clear enough" Denney
ThomasDodd
5 valves
5 valves

Post by ThomasDodd »

cjk wrote:
thomasdodd wrote:I think the confusion is between "M&M Instruments" (a instrument manufacturer) and "TubaMM" (a seller of M &M instruments).
I believe that M&M is a "house" brand of "TubaMM". They seem to be the only place that sells them.
Please also note that "tubamm" and the "local seller" you mention are both in Florida. They are one in the same.
Could be. I didn't get the feeling that the "local seller" contacted was TubaMM though. The use of "local seller" would not be needed if you were contacting the company in question.

I wasn't confuesed either.

Then again, I'm not in the market for a new tuba now, or anytime in the next 10 years. When I am I don't think it'll be a new horn, but just new to me, something made 50+ years ago :)