AGAIN, why not 'Tubanet'?? There isn't another one.

The bulk of the musical talk
2ba4t
bugler
bugler

AGAIN, why not 'Tubanet'?? There isn't another one.

Post by 2ba4t »

When some idiot asked this a couple of years ago [my post was Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:42 pm] I was answered most graciously, by that most venerable and respected tubenetter (tubeneter?) as follows:

''Re: Why not 'tubAnet'

Postby Dan Schultz » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:34 pm
Because in the early days of 'Tubenet' googling 'tubanet' used to turn up a website dedicated to tubal ligation. Sean made a good decision.''

Now there was a lot of stuff about that capital 'A' - which was my innocent attempt at emphasis 'cos I don't know how to use bold, underline or italics (or cocaine) on tubenet 'post a new topic'. But there were no further more substantive answers. So - I simply accepted.

BUT, there is no entity called 'tubanet' or 'Tubanet' or even 'tubAnet' on line. All tubal ligation sites and searches fail to produce tubanet. BUT [again] there is a tubenet site out there about, guess what, pipes.

So, let's get cool and chill out and rename ourselves 'Tubanet'.

Let's have a ballot and also create a tuba pride movement at the same time. Everyone is doing it.

Also what about a 'Tuba myths exposed' section for tubenet?
The Big Ben
6 valves
6 valves

Re: AGAIN, why not 'Tubanet'?? There isn't another one.

Post by The Big Ben »

One can find out many things by looking. You see that little box at the bottom of the posting box that says "full editor"? Give that a try.

Sean's paying the bill. Plus the sponsors. Have you discussed this with Bloke and The Elephant?
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Tube Net?

I thought this was Tub e-Net. Crap...
MN_TimTuba

Post by MN_TimTuba »

Also what about a 'Tuba myths exposed' section for tubenet?[/quote]

I embrace my myths; hence,the 6/4 Holton.
2ba4t
bugler
bugler

Post by 2ba4t »

Thank you, Big Ben.

Yes, when all else fails, read the instructions. But having my IQ, I cannot find said ' little box at the bottom of the posting box that says "full editor". ' in the 'Post a reply' window. I just do not know where to look. This has been a life long problem.

I do of course see all the buttons above for all the editing codes that one can insert but they put me off. I am geek allergic. And, yes, said ' little box at the bottom of the posting box that says "full editor" indeed appears at the foot of 'Quick Reply' but that merely takes me back to those horrible geeky buttons. I just cannot find it on the 'Post a reply' page. And anyway I am too slow to use 'Quick Reply'.

I shall just have to stick to using my linguistic abilities to replace bold, italic etc - like in the old days.

Thanks for the reply.
windshieldbug
Once got the "hand" as a cue
Once got the "hand" as a cue

Post by windshieldbug »

tuba.net is already in use.
Maybe Sean just didn’t want people to confuse them... :shock:
Instead of talking to your plants, if you yelled at them would they still grow, but only to be troubled and insecure?
Worth
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Worth »

Didn’t ZZ Top have a song called the Tubenet boogie? Oh, that's right it was about something else most likely 5/4 or 6/4
:tuba:
2014 Wisemann 900 with Laskey 30H
~1980 Cerveny 4V CC Piggy
1935 Franz Schediwy BBb
1968 Conn 2J (thinking of selling)
The Big Ben
6 valves
6 valves

Post by The Big Ben »

Worth wrote:Didn’t ZZ Top have a song called the Tubenet boogie? Oh, that's right it was about something else most likely 5/4 or 6/4
:tuba:
Tubesteak Boogie. Another ZZ double entendre title.
The Big Ben
6 valves
6 valves

Post by The Big Ben »

2ba4t wrote:Thank you, Big Ben.

Yes, when all else fails, read the instructions. But having my IQ, I cannot find said ' little box at the bottom of the posting box that says "full editor". ' in the 'Post a reply' window. I just do not know where to look. This has been a life long problem.

I do of course see all the buttons above for all the editing codes that one can insert but they put me off. I am geek allergic. And, yes, said ' little box at the bottom of the posting box that says "full editor" indeed appears at the foot of 'Quick Reply' but that merely takes me back to those horrible geeky buttons. I just cannot find it on the 'Post a reply' page. And anyway I am too slow to use 'Quick Reply'.

I shall just have to stick to using my linguistic abilities to replace bold, italic etc - like in the old days.

Thanks for the reply.
"Can't, I'm dumb" would have said the same thing with only three words. Simple is good.
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

Good, but I prefer...

Rumour spreadin' 'round
In that Texas town
About that shack outside La Grange
And you know what I'm talkin' about
Just let me know if you wanna go
To that home out on the range
They got a lot of nice girls
Have mercy
A haw, haw, haw, haw, a haw
A haw, haw, haw
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
Mark E. Chachich
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Mark E. Chachich »

My reply is the international tuba community knows TubeNet, and in this case (sorry about my misuse of English) if if ain't broke, don't fix it! I will not question Sean, Farrah or the moderators about what they call this site or how they run this site, they have all done a great service for the international tuba community!

my honest thank you to Sean, Farrah and the moderators,
Mark
Mark E. Chachich, Ph.D.
Principal Tuba, Bel Air Community Band
Life Member, Musicians' Association of Metropolitan Baltimore, A.F.M., Local 40-543
Life Member, ITEA
2ba4t
bugler
bugler

Post by 2ba4t »

"Can't, I'm dumb" would have said the same thing with only three words. Simple is good.
Thanks. (?) I feel really welcome.
The Big Ben
6 valves
6 valves

Post by The Big Ben »

2ba4t wrote:
Thanks. (?) I feel really welcome.
With effort, it could be "Can. I'm smart." You up to it?
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

2ba4t wrote:Thanks. (?) I feel really welcome.
Don't make too much of it, there are a few in every crowd. The main thing here is tubes. That's why it's "TubeNet" ... or actually I guess it's tubas, but there's tubes in every tuba. Anyway, we've been going down the tubes here for a long time, and we're too old to change our ways.
Mark E. Chachich
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Mark E. Chachich »

I hope that what I said did not make you feel unwelcome. As a former US Government biomedical researcher my mantra is "the enemy of good is better". So, welcome to TubeNet (and keep a sense of humor)!

Mark
Mark E. Chachich, Ph.D.
Principal Tuba, Bel Air Community Band
Life Member, Musicians' Association of Metropolitan Baltimore, A.F.M., Local 40-543
Life Member, ITEA
MikeW
3 valves
3 valves

Post by MikeW »

Discussing this topic draws vast floods of brainless obscenities.
Can you say "spam magnet ?"

If I can get the PM to work I'll send you the key
PM sent
Last edited by MikeW on Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Imperial Eb Kellyberg
dilettante & gigless wannabe
2ba4t
bugler
bugler

Post by 2ba4t »

Thanks, Mark and Donn. Your posts were absolutely par for the course. You answered the points factually and certainly could not have been deemed inappropriate or offensive. Thanks.

I shall not provide my cv but I reckon it would at least prove that I certainly will not take our friend too much to heart. Also, his
"With effort, it could be "Can. I'm smart." You up to it?"
would then cause hilarity. Res ipsa loquitur.

My real concern is for the good name of tubenet in view of the initiation of a tuba group on reddit and one post, which I found inexplicable until now. Please see the I despise TubeNet thread.

I accept my self-deprecating humour probably is sickening but we are talking about that superior tolerant clade of humanity called tuba players. I think ad hominem remarks might be slightly infra dig. Yes, we all know "If you can't take a joke (or the heat) get out the kitchen."

Per tuba ad astra!!
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

Bene, video quo hic iturus est. Sit omnis respondeo latine.
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

nworbekim wrote:i don't really see the dislike for tubenet that you seem to. i think i remember several of them talking about reading tubenet too...
It wouldn't really be fair to dislike us without having taken a look. I don't know anything about a Reddit thing, but I know of people who dislike Tubenet after having been exposed to a little too much of its down side. It's better now than it was then, but it will take a long time to completely clean up some of the "character" acquired over several years of little or no moderator intervention.
2ba4t
bugler
bugler

Post by 2ba4t »

Sorry to have caused all the pain and fury. A private, moderated reply has settled the matter once and for all - and made me very grateful to and impressed by the moderators.

And I will follow Mark's wise example and hereby undertake that, as he wrote, 'I will not question Sean, Farah or the moderators about what they call this site or how they run this site, they have all done a great service for the international tuba community!'

Thank you all.