John Packer 379b - Thoughts?

The bulk of the musical talk
Dan Tuba
pro musician
pro musician

Re: John Packer 379b - Thoughts?

Post by Dan Tuba »

I have played on the JP 379b at a few different conferences. It's a very nice tuba. It offers good response, intonation and quiet as well as smooth operating rotary valves. Great above and below the staff. Very centered F above the staff and there's plenty of slide pull for a "pedal" C. I almost decided to purchase one to use with small/medium sized ensembles. I ultimately decided on a new Wessex Luzern because I liked the playing characteristics of older JinBao 210 tubas that I have owned and since the Wessex Luzern has 5 valves (fully chromatic). BTW, Wessex has also greatly improved their rotary valves, linkages, and paddles to a point where at least for me, feel they are reliable enough for everyday "professional" use. The JP 379b is listed as a 3/4 tuba, and it is nice and compact. However, don't let its size fool you, it definitely can put out a lot of sound with the right input.
Conn 25J
Holton 3+1 "Monster" EEb
Wessex XL
Giddings and Kelly Mouthpieces
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

It is a quality instrument that despite it’s compactness, does not give up nearly as much sonically as other, typical 3/4 small bore tubas. The somewhat larger bore and bell really mean a lot!!
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
ronr
bugler
bugler

Post by ronr »

I own one and play it regularly. As others have said it puts out a lot of sound for a smaller horn, although it’s really not small, just compact. My only quibble would be a clacky first valve that nobody’s been able to quiet for me.
MN_TimTuba

Post by MN_TimTuba »

Mark Finley wrote:Ha! Maybe I should done a better video. That was just me turning my phone on in a school practice room. I wish I had done a better job.

Mark - not 'better' just more time! How about using the 379B for your next solo with the community band?
MN_TimTuba

Post by MN_TimTuba »

Mark Finley wrote:I'm doing mostly euph with the band now. I'll see if I can come up with some way to update the video, instead of just playing stuff off the top of my head. Those practice room acoustics didn't do the tuba any favors
Thanks, Mark!
Maybe that guy that sells 'em would use the 379B on a riverboat Dixie gig and post, so we could hear this nifty horn in a small band setting, eh, Joe?