Acidic sweat?

The bulk of the musical talk
jperry1466
bugler
bugler

Re: Acidic sweat?

Post by jperry1466 »

I have that problem at the top bow of the 1st valve slide on my CC Mack Brass and had the same problem on my Meinl-Weston CC. I could attribute part of it to wear from the friction of pushing and pulling the slide to tune as I play. The lacquer never peeled; it just kind of dissolved. As far as I know there was never any damage to the inside of my horn from saliva. I have a wrap around the lower bell where my right arm contacts the brass so that it can't happen there.
Big Toot
bugler
bugler

Re: Acidic sweat?

Post by Big Toot »

Stryk wrote:I picked up a nice horn last week, but the finish was almost curdled in a few places where your arm or hands would normally rest. I know people who have acidic sweat that can destroy lacquer, but from what I have seen, it usually just peels off. These sections are like what might happen if someone sprayed paint remover or brake cleaner on it. Is this common? I hate to think what their saliva may have done to the inside!
Well, saliva has approximately the same pH as sweat from somebody who does not have acidosis. Because of its relatively low acidity, the inside of the horn should be worn but not destroyed, I would think. I'm curious as to what the outside of the horn actually looks like. Lacquer is somewhat more resistant to low pH's than unlacquered brass is, so I'm not sure what the issue is.
New tubist. Ex-euphoniumistststst...
No, wait. Euphoniumist once again... Damn, it's hard to keep up.
MACK Brass EU1150S
Amati ABB-221
Musikwissenschaft.
Composer for all instruments and ensembles.
Eaton Community Band.
Richmond Jazz Orchestra.