MW 2250TL

The bulk of the musical talk
Sam Chan
bugler
bugler

MW 2250TL

Post by Sam Chan »

There’re too many strange things about this horn.
Last edited by Sam Chan on Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:31 am, edited 3 times in total.
MW 2250TL “French Touch”
MW 3225S “Ursus”
Sterling Virtuoso 1065H
Thein BVD w/MV Bach 50 bell
Sam Chan
bugler
bugler

Re: Awaiting my new MW 2250TL !!!

Post by Sam Chan »

Just got my horn yesterday, had some bad news just right out of the gig bag, there’s a crease in the bell, except that everything looks great.

What I was expecting was a normal silver 2250 wif a smaller bell and a trigger.

It turns out to be something more.
Last edited by Sam Chan on Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sam Chan
bugler
bugler

Re: Awaiting my new MW 2250TL !!!

Post by Sam Chan »

To my understanding, a 2250TL has a main running slide trigger, a special handle, smaller bell (42cm), 4th valve vented and slide stop (Baer style).

However, it also comes with a vented 1st valve and slide stop, and seems to be light weight finger button, which I’ve never seen on a MW factory new tuba and I’ve measured that the bell of this particular 2250TL has a diameter of 44cm which is the size of a normal 2250, the metal used to made bell is also seeming thinner than usual compared to a “non-TL” version

Another strange thing I’ve noticed is right under the bell logo engraving, there’s an extra line of engraving of “TUBA KEJ” which I have completely no idea what is that about. I’ve just emailed Buffet and hope they’ll reply.

Like to all the pictures: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... XmtH7n2kwE
Last edited by Sam Chan on Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sam Chan
bugler
bugler

Re: New axe - MW 2250TL

Post by Sam Chan »

Link updated
tbonesullivan
4 valves
4 valves

Post by tbonesullivan »

Well that bell crease is definitely a bummer. At least it's not a bad one, but, it's still a crease.

Looking online, I would guess that's the 2250 Thomas Leleu "French Touch" model. On the MW website, they call it the 2250TLT, probably because that version has a trigger for the main tuning slide. I have seen others listed that do not. Strange that the bell is not the 16.5" or 419mm that the specifications say.
Yamaha YBB-631S BBb Tuba, B&H Imperial Eb Tuba, Sterling / Perantucci 1065GHS Euphonium
Yamaha YBL-621 RII Bass Trombone and a bunch of other trombones
Sam Chan
bugler
bugler

Post by Sam Chan »

bloke wrote:> compare to MRP: ________________
> main slide trigger used for: _________________
> discount for the bell crease?
> compare to MRP: couldn’t compare as I haven’t played one, however, I suggest it has a more singing tone and less open low register than the normal lacquer version of 2250. (Hope I could express myself better) on the plus side, the valves are comparatively lighter as there’s no pearls on the buttons.

> main slide trigger used for: Haven’t have a thorough use of it yet, but I figured for Eb, C, B and Bb below the staff, and also in the pedal range of a F tuba. as a non-experienced user of this trigger, I’ll suggest used mostly for notes out of the staffs in general.

> discount for the bell crease? So far, No. The shipment comes from Frankfurt, and the appearance of the carton does not have any damage nor the inside packaging, it was very well padded, comes with only the Melton gig bag. I opened the gig bag for the first time after I took it home, noticed the crease and immediately contacted my dealer. They’re doing their job right now to deal with insurance, but seemingly not going well because I missed a complete shot of the carton. Am currently waiting for their reply.
Last edited by Sam Chan on Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sam Chan
bugler
bugler

Post by Sam Chan »

tbonesullivan wrote:Well that bell crease is definitely a bummer. At least it's not a bad one, but, it's still a crease.

Looking online, I would guess that's the 2250 Thomas Leleu "French Touch" model. On the MW website, they call it the 2250TLT, probably because that version has a trigger for the main tuning slide. I have seen others listed that do not. Strange that the bell is not the 16.5" or 419mm that the specifications say.
Yes this is the 2250 Thomas Leleu "French Touch" model. I’ve also noticed the MW website says it’s the “2250TLT” but I’ve always thought the main tuning slide trigger is a default feature for this model, yet I’ve also seen a few online without the trigger, even here in Hong Kong, the only 2250TL I know existed is without the main tuning slide trigger also.

I prefer not tell the exact price I bought this for, but it is around $11000 USD from a European dealer. And It should take a 5 months wait for me to get one, but turns out it was just 2 months.
tbonesullivan
4 valves
4 valves

Post by tbonesullivan »

Sam Chan wrote:I prefer not tell the exact price I bought this for, but it is around $11000 USD from a European dealer. And It should take a 5 months wait for me to get one, but turns out it was just 2 months.
Maybe it was a custom order for some one who ended up cancelling. That could explain the "TUBA KEJ" marking on the bell.
Yamaha YBB-631S BBb Tuba, B&H Imperial Eb Tuba, Sterling / Perantucci 1065GHS Euphonium
Yamaha YBL-621 RII Bass Trombone and a bunch of other trombones
Sam Chan
bugler
bugler

Post by Sam Chan »

bloke wrote:
tbonesullivan wrote:"TUBA KEJ" marking on the bell.
The combination of the crease and the existence of the stray engraving (with a new instrument) would not be pleasing to me personally.
I feel the same :|
Sam Chan
bugler
bugler

Post by Sam Chan »

tbonesullivan wrote:
Sam Chan wrote:I prefer not tell the exact price I bought this for, but it is around $11000 USD from a European dealer. And It should take a 5 months wait for me to get one, but turns out it was just 2 months.
Maybe it was a custom order for some one who ended up cancelling. That could explain the "TUBA KEJ" marking on the bell.
This would explain the situation perfectly. I sent a email to Melton and they didn’t give an explanation on that marking. Well they did mention that I could sent it back for a repair, of which is very time consuming. And I do need an explanation from MW.

My dealer is currently claiming insurance from shipping carrier.
Sam Chan
bugler
bugler

Re: MW 2250TL

Post by Sam Chan »

After two weeks time communicating with both the German and Spanish shops, they proposed that I’ll keep the horn, which I did and rolled out the bell by a great local craftsman. I was quite annoyed by this issue in the pass two weeks and all the things happening in Hong Kong. So I think keeping it might just be the easiest way to finishing off the problem.

P.s. They actually ask me to ship it back however they said I could keep it few days after. I’m quite happy with the horn now and I do find the playing suits me.
MW 2250TL “French Touch”
MW 3225S “Ursus”
Sterling Virtuoso 1065H
Thein BVD w/MV Bach 50 bell