Chairs for Tuba playing, How many take their own?

The bulk of the musical talk
Charlie C Chowder
bugler
bugler

Re: Chairs for Tuba playing, How many take their own?

Post by Charlie C Chowder »

I reupholstered a wide folding piano bench with a thicker pad and then turned it sideways to set my tuba on as I straddled it. Works great for a cello bench as well. Add or remove padding as needed for the tuba height. Not as versatile as a stand if you have multiple tubas.

C.C.C.
Lamminator
bugler
bugler

Post by Lamminator »

https://www.amazon.com/bonmedico-Orthop ... =8-11&th=1" target="_blank" target="_blank

I have used this seat cushion for 4 months and it’s a back saver. No matter what seat your on the cushion gives you the support you need. Highly recommend. I went for large size!
Luft Luft Luft
Wessex Presence CC
Wessex British F
Meinl Weston 2040/5
ZO Thunderbird Custom Bflat
Besson 981 (Sold)
Fafner 195 (Sold)
Et al
Radar
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Radar »

Thanks for the input, I do use a Tuba rest but that didn't keep the metal folding chair from cutting off my circulation. I think I will try bringing a pad for the seat first rather than lugging a chair. That seems like a less botherson item to pack and carry.
Retired Army Reserve 98th Div. Band: Euphonium, Trombone, Tuba, Bass Guitar
Miraphone 186 CC
Conn 36K Sousaphone
Euphonium: Yamaha YEP-321 (modified with Euro-shank receiver with Lehman M mouthpiece)
Trombones:Yamaha 612 Bass, Conn 88H
MikeW
3 valves
3 valves

Post by MikeW »

I have a folding chair reserved for tuba playing. It is vital at venues where all the chairs have arms, or when the stage is particularly crowded. Its seat is an inch or three higher than the average folding chair, so I get to see the stick more often, and it has a convenient footrest, which makes it great for posture. I'm trying to figure out a convenient way to tote it everywhere: possibly add shoulder straps and use it as a backpack-frame to carry my bitsa bag (folders, tuba sling, mouthpiece, oil, water, music glasses, rain/wind shield, clothes-pegs....) ??
Imperial Eb Kellyberg
dilettante & gigless wannabe
ral1988
bugler
bugler

Post by ral1988 »

I worked with a guy that had a drum throne and hardware hooked up for a tuba rest. He could move any direction and the tuba would follow him.
bearphonium
5 valves
5 valves
Location: Making mischief in the back row at 44, 1' 49"N, 123, 8'10"W

Post by bearphonium »

I use both a tuba rest and my own chair; padded seat, CostCo from a couple years ago. It is a smidge higher than most folding chairs and way more durable. I like knowing that I will be comfortable when I sit to play. (Comfortable while I play is still a work in progress...)
Mirafone 186 BBb
VMI 201 3/4 BBb
King Sousaphone
Conn 19I 4-valve non-comp Euph

What Would Xena Do?
2ba4t
bugler
bugler

Post by 2ba4t »

Again [- there have been several posts on this] simply buy a $15 tripod camping stool on Amazon. I have two. They can be doctored to hold any tuba to the perfect height. They fold into a bag which slips into the bell. Then you have no weight on you, no issues with chairs and a steady but flexible tuba holder. DON'T use it to sit on unless you are very skinny and have no nerves below the waist.
OR to create a larger 'permanent' rigid stand which will hold the beast without needing any other support - use ordinary plumbing piping. This is easily bent and configured; you can use screw joint fittings for dismantling and moving it; insulation foam is easily available as padding and you can paint it or highly polish it. No, you need not use all the other items found in a restroom - not even the seat as a wow wow mute.
Remember, you can make better that which they will try to sell you.
roughrider
4 valves
4 valves

Post by roughrider »

bloke wrote:Image
That's what I want!
1930 King "Symphony" Recording Bass BBb
1916 Holton "Mammoth" Upright Bass BBb
1994 King 2341 Upright Bass BBb
Wedge H2 Solo mouthpieces
Stofer-Geib mouthpieces
marccromme
3 valves
3 valves

Post by marccromme »

Mark wrote:A cello cushion might also work.
Yes! Lightweight, fits into the gig bag, and works. You need to find the right height of cusion, though. In case you need to lift the tuba above the chair platform, a Yaga foam brick does the job, can be cut to correct height, weights and costs almost nothing.

I have often to walk some 2-3 km with my tuba, so I would never pick any extra weight in form of a chair or heavy stand.
Yamaha YEB-321 Eb 4v TA tuba
Meinl-Weston 2141 Eb 5v FA tuba
Hirsbrunner Bb 3v TA compensated euph
Wessex Dolce Bb 3+1v TA compensated euph
Alto/tenor/bass trombones in various sizes/plugs
David A. Goldfarb
bugler
bugler

Post by David A. Goldfarb »

Yes, I used to carry a folding wooden chair with a large enough seat for the tuba to sit on the corner, with my legs on either side. Now I’m using a portable piano bench, which gives me a little more flexibility and weighs less than the chair. I straddle the bench so I have plenty of space for the tuba.
twitter: @GoldfarbTbone
1958 BBb Martin "Mammoth"
& a handful of 'bones
ArnoldGottlieb
4 valves
4 valves

Post by ArnoldGottlieb »

Lamminator wrote:https://www.amazon.com/bonmedico-Orthop ... =8-11&th=1" target="_blank" target="_blank

I have used this seat cushion for 4 months and it’s a back saver. No matter what seat your on the cushion gives you the support you need. Highly recommend. I went for large size!
I bought this cusion after seeing this thread and have been using it this week at work (although this run is only electric bass). It makes an amazing difference in how my back feels after the show and will no doubt take it on the road with me next tour. Thanks Lamminator!
Peace
ASG
big_blue_tubist
bugler
bugler

Post by big_blue_tubist »

I agree with the tuba stand sentiment. I'm a "sit the tuba on the chair" player and find that as long as I bring my stand, I can sit in whatever chair they give me.
Franken-King 1241
Giddings Taku
JESimmons
bugler
bugler

Post by JESimmons »

I’m too tall from the waist up to put the tuba on the chair. Using a keyboard stool and a Baltimore Brass tuba stand has greatly improved my playing.
Big Toot
bugler
bugler

Post by Big Toot »

JESimmons wrote:I’m too tall from the waist up to put the tuba on the chair. Using a keyboard stool and a Baltimore Brass tuba stand has greatly improved my playing.
I am also torso-tall, so I've gotten used to putting my tuba on one of my legs. I use a pad so I don't lose feeling in that leg, but have never considered using a tuba stand. Perhaps I should look into that at some point.
New tubist. Ex-euphoniumistststst...
No, wait. Euphoniumist once again... Damn, it's hard to keep up.
MACK Brass EU1150S
Amati ABB-221
Musikwissenschaft.
Composer for all instruments and ensembles.
Eaton Community Band.
Richmond Jazz Orchestra.
oleirgens
bugler
bugler

Post by oleirgens »

Radar wrote:Last night I played a longish outdoor concert. The total time seated was about 2 hours seated in the typical folding chair without a break. At the end of about the first hour my legs were asleep and they were killing me. I readjusted as much as I could between numbers but it was really uncomfortable for me. I am seriously considering starting to bring the drum throne I use to rehearse on at home to gigs like this, but the idea of carrying one more thing doesn't really appeal to me either. Do any of you bring your own stool or chair to gigs, how common is it?
I have a cabinsize roller with my equipment in: Drum throne, tuba stand and music stand, plus folders with sheet music and a small pouch with oils, some tools (pliers, screwdriver), and other necessary items. I have used this setup for a year now, and I bring it to rehearsals and concert, even the national championship. I carry my horn in a gig bag like a rucksack, which makes it easy to drag the roller along. Tip: Use a throne with a well padded seat, unless you would prefer the Iron Throne of course ;)

Regards from Norway
--
Ole Irgens
JP379CC Sterling
Besson Sovereign Eb
Principal tuba, Alvøen Concert Band
Eb tuba, Laksevåg Brass Band
Bergen, Norway