Gig bag questions

The bulk of the musical talk
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Gig bag questions

Post by bort »

So I need a new gig bag and have a couple of questions about big bags...

Over the years, I have greatly preferred top loading bags, particularly the Gotz gig bags. However, with piston tubas, I think side loading bags might make a little more sense (less chance of the valve stems getting snagged on something).

I have been considering Cronkhite bags, but the costs are really getting up there. Also, I had a chance to buy a used one a while ago, and I honestly didn't like the way a moderately used cordura bag looked. Overall (plus the pouch in the front), it just started looking frumpy. I'm sure the protection was still top level, but it just didn't look great to me.

Leather Cronkhite bags are probably the gold-level protection, but are also gold-level price. Not out of the question, but its a significant investment.

I've heard that Gotz can make side loading bags, but I'm not certain about that. Might be an option, but if it's not something they usually make, I don't know if I'm as willing to try it out. Relying upon expertise from the manufacturer seems safer than special orders. Side loading bags scare me, because if the zipper breaks...

Anyway, some rambling thoughts here. Not sure I even asked a question... Just not sure what I want to do. Welcome opinions from you all.. will probably order something by Monday

Thanks! :tuba:
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Gig bag questions

Post by bort »

Good point. Also, I don't like trying to find a place to store a mouthpiece on the Cronkhite. The in-bell pouch is a great solution.

May be an easier choice than I thought!

"What color..."

Thanks
roughrider
4 valves
4 valves

Post by roughrider »

Messina Covers, Louisville, KY. I have purchased four bags from David Messina and Erika Howard and have been very pleased with all of them. Excellent workmanship and a rock-solid guarantee including repairs made the choice easy. I had previously owned two Glenn Cronkhite bags which were very good, however the value for the dollar and excellent build quality of the Messina bags won the day as it were. They are on Facebook as well as the internet. Good Luck with your search!
1930 King "Symphony" Recording Bass BBb
1916 Holton "Mammoth" Upright Bass BBb
1994 King 2341 Upright Bass BBb
Wedge H2 Solo mouthpieces
Stofer-Geib mouthpieces
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Thanks everyone. That's a big plus for leather, ease of cleaning -- dog fur just brushes right off. Except for the front pouch pocket, which is cordura regardless.
luke_hollis
bugler
bugler

Post by luke_hollis »

I have a cronkhite side loader. The quality is good but the straps shred my shoulders.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

I've decided that I'm going to buy a Gotz bag. It's the right combination of protection and style that I just won't get from anything else. Plus, the Euro is low right now, so the price comes out less than Cronkhite.

That was the plan all along, and I wanted to talk myself out of Cronkhite... Mission accomplished there.

Thanks for the help, everyone!
emoran
lurker
lurker

Post by emoran »

If you are worried about catching the valve stems inside the bag, a soup container (ala chinese wonton) works fine over the valve body.
Bnich93
bugler
bugler

Post by Bnich93 »

Cant recommend reunion blues enough. Its construction is seemingly bulletproof. Its a bit snug for the yorkbrunner, but its definitely secure.
Hirsbrunner HB50 w/Warburton 30DL
John Packer 377s w/Parker Cantabile
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Yup... In which the mouthpiece jabs you in the back. I also forgot, the Cronkhite sits low on your back, and is not really comfortable for walking long distances.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

the elephant wrote:
bort wrote:Yup... In which the mouthpiece jabs you in the back. I also forgot, the Cronkhite sits low on your back, and is not really comfortable for walking long distances.
Never, not once in 35 years. And they sit just fine, without the ridiculous tippiness that sky high bags have and not too low at all. Are we speaking about the same product, from the same universe, or some alternate reality? :mrgreen:
I've owned 3. My experience was exactly as I described. I think you are taller than me, Wade... So maybe that helped you?

The Cronkhite bags are well made and have great padding. But, the act of using one on a daily basis just wasn't so fun.

The most functional for me was the Miraphone bag. Also, the ugliest.

Anyway, I'm all set now, guys. Over and out.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Yeah, the blue isn't offensive... Just prefer a more discreet bag. About 15 years ago I borrowed a 188 that had an old style Miraphone gig bag, which was very similar to the new one... But all black. Very nice bag.

Coolest thing was the triangle ("Mountain") style zipper pulls. The new ones don't have that, right? Oh man, now I can't remember!
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

The first way.

I've heard and seen people do it the second way, too... But that always seems a lot more awkward.

I've also seen people sit the tuba on the ground horizontally, and then put it in like a sleeping bag.

I guess whatever works!
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

What do you call a top-loading gig bag with a broken zipper?

"Altieri"

:P :roll:
vurltuba
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Post by vurltuba »

I can highly recommend Messina Covers. David Messina just made a bag for my Eastman 6/4. I took my horn to Louisville and they made a bag that fits like a glove. David, Erika and Sam do thoughtful, meticulous work and produce an excellent product.
Vurl Bland
817 233 8920 mobile/text
greenbean
Superfine Cases
Superfine Cases

Post by greenbean »

nworbekim wrote:this is an additional question... to the gig bag questions discussion... i've never used a top load bag so i chose a side-load because i couldn't imagine how the top load worked. do you hold the tuba in the air with one hand and the bag in the other and try to put the tuba down into the bag? or do you set the tuba on the bell and slide the bag down over it and then flip it and zip it?

i didn't think i wanted to try the statue of liberty thing with my tuba for a couple of reasons... the other way seemed easier.
A "well-behaved" top-loader will stand up and can be leaned against a wall, chair, etc and the horn lowered into it. As in the photo. Some upper body strength is helpful. I lift the horn with my right arm and my left arm guides the lower bow into the bag. The Goetz and blue Miraphone bags are well-behaved. I think they very easy to use.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/698Scye7jsCbpZvq7" target="_blank

I used one poorly-behaved top-loader that would only stand up with some persuasion and would then collapse when lowering the horn into it. It was a bit of a struggle. Workable but not much fun.
-----
Tom Rice
http://www.superfinecases.com
Mirafone 184 BBb
B&M Marzan BBb
1974 Besson Eb
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

greenbean wrote:
nworbekim wrote:this is an additional question... to the gig bag questions discussion... i've never used a top load bag so i chose a side-load because i couldn't imagine how the top load worked. do you hold the tuba in the air with one hand and the bag in the other and try to put the tuba down into the bag? or do you set the tuba on the bell and slide the bag down over it and then flip it and zip it?

i didn't think i wanted to try the statue of liberty thing with my tuba for a couple of reasons... the other way seemed easier.
A "well-behaved" top-loader will stand up and can be leaned against a wall, chair, etc and the horn lowered into it. As in the photo. Some upper body strength is helpful. I lift the horn with my right arm and my left arm guides the lower bow into the bag. The Goetz and blue Miraphone bags are well-behaved. I think they very easy to use.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/698Scye7jsCbpZvq7" target="_blank" target="_blank

I used one poorly-behaved top-loader that would only stand up with some persuasion and would then collapse when lowering the horn into it. It was a bit of a struggle. Workable but not much fun.
The first bag is a Cronkhite, but it looks a little different from the ones I've owned.

Your top loader comments are right on. The triple padded Gotz is particularly "helpful". The old Gotz with my PT7 had been though a lot, and the padding had degraded. Not as friendly as it had been when new, but still wasn't difficult

My GR41 came with a Tuba World bag. It's not horrible, but it is kind of floppy, shapeless, and collapsible. It seems to have okay padding, and works ok for now. Also seems really heavy for what it is.
Big Toot
bugler
bugler

Post by Big Toot »

Damn. And here I am, having no clue that there are gig bags that will stand up. Still, I do love my Gard bag, though. Lots of padding and a thingermabob that goes into the bell to keep it from accidentally getting smushed.
New tubist. Ex-euphoniumistststst...
No, wait. Euphoniumist once again... Damn, it's hard to keep up.
MACK Brass EU1150S
Amati ABB-221
Musikwissenschaft.
Composer for all instruments and ensembles.
Eaton Community Band.
Richmond Jazz Orchestra.
greenbean
Superfine Cases
Superfine Cases

Post by greenbean »

bort wrote: The first bag is a Cronkhite, but it looks a little different from the ones I've owned.

Your top loader comments are right on. The triple padded Gotz is particularly "helpful". The old Gotz with my PT7 had been though a lot, and the padding had degraded. Not as friendly as it had been when new, but still wasn't difficult

My GR41 came with a Tuba World bag. It's not horrible, but it is kind of floppy, shapeless, and collapsible. It seems to have okay padding, and works ok for now. Also seems really heavy for what it is.
The first bag is a Reunion Blues bag made in San Francisco. I have seen other RB-SF bags that unzipped all the way like later Cronkhite bags. I assume this is an earlier design. It happens to fit my Mirafone 182 perfectly and it backpacks well. Taking the horn out is tricky but, overall, a great bag.
-----
Tom Rice
http://www.superfinecases.com
Mirafone 184 BBb
B&M Marzan BBb
1974 Besson Eb
barry grrr-ero
4 valves
4 valves

Post by barry grrr-ero »

I'm a bit late to the party. Anyway, my Neptune came with a Cronkhite black leather bag. It gives fantastic protection, but it weighs a ton! Between the Neptune and that leather bag, I have to use a baby jogger. There's no way I can put it on my back. I almost feel like that bag gives better protection than a case - almost.

Bort, congrats on your GR41. They sure look impressive. I've been drooling over the Eastman 853 compensating eefer. Scott Sutherland gets a gorgeous sound on his.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

barry grrr-ero wrote:I'm a bit late to the party. Anyway, my Neptune came with a Cronkhite black leather bag. It gives fantastic protection, but it weighs a ton! Between the Neptune and that leather bag, I have to use a baby jogger. There's no way I can put it on my back. I almost feel like that bag gives better protection than a case - almost.

Bort, congrats on your GR41. They sure look impressive. I've been drooling over the Eastman 853 compensating eefer. Scott Sutherland gets a gorgeous sound on his.
Neptune in a leather bag? Ouch... I had a leather bag with the Willson, and it was a similar "ouch." It was an excellent bag and it looked great. It was 20 years old, and easily had another 20 in it without blinking.

I've been dragging my feet on ordering the new bag. No real reason, just that for what my needs are now (cover the tuba while it sits in my closet), the TubaWorld bag (which I don't like) works just fine. I can't justify spending almost $1,000 on a leather Cronkhite, but that sure would be pretty...