"TubeNets" for other instruments?

The bulk of the musical talk
Art Hovey
pro musician
pro musician

"TubeNets" for other instruments?

Post by Art Hovey »

The TubeNet is a wonderful source of all kinds of information and I have learned a lot from it.
I wonder if anyone here knows of similar forums for jazz trumpet and saxophone?
A friend of mine has autographed paintings of a well-known trumpet player and a very well-known tenor man.
I suggested that if she put them on Ebay and sent the links to trumpet and sax forums she might get some bids.
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Re: "TubeNets" for other instruments?

Post by Donn »

I believe the main equivalent for saxophone is https://forum.saxontheweb.net/forum.php. It's organized differently, with myriads of sub-forums and sub-sub-forums and so forth. There are plenty of corners where I've never gone, but I don't know of any "look at what I saw on ebay" forum, and if you want to sell stuff there, you have to spend some time establishing yourself as a member first.
hup_d_dup
4 valves
4 valves

Post by hup_d_dup »

I don't know any other forum quite like TubeNet, but the trumpet forum I visit most often is http://www.trumpetherald.com" target="_blank. There are sub-forums for Jazz and Marketplace.

Hup
Do you really need Facebook?
mikebmiller
bugler
bugler

Post by mikebmiller »

Us trombone players hang out at trombonechat.com. The old trombone forum which had been up for many years died a couple of years ago. The new site is not nearly as much fun. Too many serious people on there.
WC8KCY
3 valves
3 valves

Post by WC8KCY »

I participate in the Sax On The Web forum, and will tell you that it is probably not worth bothering with to draw eBay traffic. The structure of that forum is such that if a potential interested party doesn't use the forum home page as a starting page, and therefore doesn't see the posting for the short time it'll appear in the Activity Stream window, they just aren't going to see the post.

Unlike TubeNet, where responses often come within two hours, postings on Sax On The Web can take days to get a single reply, if at all, especially if they're in an esoteric sub-forum category. It's frustratingly inefficient compared to TubeNet, but, hey, it's all we've got...
tbonesullivan
4 valves
4 valves

Post by tbonesullivan »

mikebmiller wrote:Us trombone players hang out at trombonechat.com. The old trombone forum which had been up for many years died a couple of years ago. The new site is not nearly as much fun. Too many serious people on there.
I wonder what happened with the "move". It's been over a year now, and the place holder is still there. Maybe the years of posts were simply too much to port over to the new forum?
Yamaha YBB-631S BBb Tuba, B&H Imperial Eb Tuba, Sterling / Perantucci 1065GHS Euphonium
Yamaha YBL-621 RII Bass Trombone and a bunch of other trombones
Tabert
bugler
bugler

Post by Tabert »

Seems like there's a fair amount of trumpet-related discourse here:

http://www.trumpetherald.com/
Doug Elliott
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Doug Elliott »

tbonesullivan wrote:
mikebmiller wrote:Us trombone players hang out at trombonechat.com. The old trombone forum which had been up for many years died a couple of years ago. The new site is not nearly as much fun. Too many serious people on there.
I wonder what happened with the "move". It's been over a year now, and the place holder is still there. Maybe the years of posts were simply too much to port over to the new forum?
The owner of the old Trombone Forum shut it down with no notice, and was mostly completely unresponsive for years before that. No one else has access to it.