Placing the tuba bell down

The bulk of the musical talk
Big Toot
bugler
bugler

Re: Placing the tuba bell down

Post by Big Toot »

bloke wrote:Since the 20 lbs. of static force could - very easily, indeed - overcome the strength of the arc of a tuba bell...hopelessly crushing the bell, shouldn't anyone who rests a tuba on its bell be filling up said tuba with helium, prior to attempting this risky stunt? :shock:
That would require a tremendous amount of helium. A little over 507 ft3 for a thirty-five pound horn, by my estimate. The most you could compress that to, reasonably, in laboratory settings, would be about 355 ft3. But to be honest, I'm not entirely sure what the interior volume of any tuba might be, even if they were all a standard volume, which they aren't. You would best be served by tying balloons to the tuba, and that would take about 1300 for a thirty-five pound horn, using the standard size (11") balloon.
You know, I think I need something to do with my life.
Last edited by Big Toot on Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
New tubist. Ex-euphoniumistststst...
No, wait. Euphoniumist once again... Damn, it's hard to keep up.
MACK Brass EU1150S
Amati ABB-221
Musikwissenschaft.
Composer for all instruments and ensembles.
Eaton Community Band.
Richmond Jazz Orchestra.
Ann Reid
bugler
bugler

Post by Ann Reid »

My earliest band experiences were under the direction of a Revelli graduate. Horns were kept in laps or cases, no other choice. At all.
EMC
4 valves
4 valves

Post by EMC »

As long as you place it down gently (I know people who basically drop it down on the bell) your horn will most likely be fine. It would be smart to prop it up against something as mentioned above, also if you're tuba has a really small bell say 16-17 inch bell on a large Kaiser tuba I'd be a bit wary about it or if you have a very heavy tuba like maybe a Wilson/Kurath then yeah maybe over time the weight could have an effect on the bell, nothing that cant be fixed though
hup_d_dup
4 valves
4 valves

Post by hup_d_dup »

I don't like to place my tuba on its bell because the leadpipe drips on to the bell.

It is unsightly and slightly disgusting.

On the other hand, it doesn't seem to bother anyone but me.

(but I wonder if the woodwinds and perscussionists are whispering among themselves about this)

Hup
Do you really need Facebook?
gwwilk
3 valves
3 valves

Post by gwwilk »

My avatar says it all...
Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com
BaltimoreBrassCO
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Post by BaltimoreBrassCO »

tbonesullivan wrote:If it's in a controlled environment, that's fine. Baltimore brass has their tubas resting that way, HOWEVER they also have them slotted into this awesome wooden bracket that surrounds the bell, so that the horn can't tip over.

If people are around, I think having a real stand or putting it back in the case is preferable.
At this moment Baltimore Brass Co. has around 40 tubas resting on the bell as described. Our tuba pallets are essential for doing this safely. Not only do they keep the horns from tipping over by sliding the bell under a felt guarded wooden lip, they also
discourage folks from stepping on the bells and bumping the tubas by extending past the bell on all sides. As a bonus they are also pretty slick looking as we have a local carpenter who makes them for us custom. 8) We have sent these out to a number of local schools/individuals with great reviews and they are available for purchase for those who may be in need!

-Baltimore Brass Co.
sales@baltimorebrass.net" target="_blank
410 744 1723
Davidus1
bugler
bugler

Post by Davidus1 »

Mark Finley wrote:I do it 100% of the time, but I also prop it up against something solid, so if it gets a light bump, it won't fall. Never a problem in 35+ years
Same here. Prop it and no issues. As long as you aren't dropping it or forcing it down shouldn't be an issue. 40 years here. :tuba:
John 3:16

Mack Brass 200S BBb
Yamaha YSL-630 .525 Trombone
Conn 15I Euphonium
Mack Brass Euphonium
opus37
5 valves
5 valves

Post by opus37 »

My choice is to never place my horn on the bell. I’ve seen too many horns with large dents in the side or crushed bells from people knocking them over. Mine is always placed on the side and in an area where the likelihood of someone tripping over it is as small as possible.
Brian
1892 Courtiere (J.W. Pepper Import) Helicon Eb
1980's Yamaha 321 euphonium
2007 Miraphone 383 Starlight
2010 Kanstul 66T
2016 Bubbie Mark 5