Combo Amp/Speaker

The bulk of the musical talk
Mark

Combo Amp/Speaker

Post by Mark »

I see the discussions of microphones for tubas has been updated: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=79408&p=688971&hilit=mic#p688971.

I suspect most of those using mics are also use the house system for amplification. For those of you who don't, what amp/speaker are you using?
WC8KCY
3 valves
3 valves

Re: Combo Amp/Speaker

Post by WC8KCY »

I don't use a combo amp unless it's an intimate setting, such as a cramped stage in a small pub backing up mostly unplugged instruments. A Jay Turser GA-30B has served me well for years.

Otherwise...it's a Peavey Mark VIII amp plugged into a Peavey Headliner 210 cabinet.
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

Never mind...I misread everything. I thought by saying "Combo Amp/Speaker" you were talking about doubling bass guitar. Sorry.
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
Tubainsauga

Post by Tubainsauga »

SWR Spellbinder Blue. It has an XLR input with phantom and is plenty loud despite being shockingly light. It is also out of production sadly. That said, if backline is provided, I tend to just plug into the bass amp provided and it works quite well with an Audix D4.
Ernieball
bugler
bugler

Post by Ernieball »

Markbass Mini CMD 121P.
It's a 300W rocket of a bass amp that you can carry in one hand.
Small and light with plenty of volume for gigs of all sizes *and* tone shaping in spades if you want it.

Wouldn't swap mine for all the tea in china!

http://www.markbass.it/product-detail/mini-cmd-121p/
Steve Oberheu
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Steve Oberheu »

If the venue I'm playing has a decent soundsystem I usually prefer to run direct into the soundboard and just use a monitor onstage. When I do need my own amp, I've been using a Traynor Dynabass 300T for the last several years. It's super lightweight and portable, 2 x 8" speakers with a nice tone that's tight and punchy. Rated at 300W It has all the beef I need for most venues I play. Any gig I play that requires anything louder usually already has backline provided. Unfortunately the company is no longer making this particular model, but they do make a 200 Watt box with a single 12" that sounds killer.
"Love Songs & Pirate Songs: The Life and Music of Roger Bobo" — the new authorized biography — is available now at: http://www.upperhaymusic.com/?product=l ... iratesongs
Kirley
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Kirley »

Ernieball wrote:Markbass Mini CMD 121P.
It's a 300W rocket of a bass amp that you can carry in one hand.
Small and light with plenty of volume for gigs of all sizes *and* tone shaping in spades if you want it.

Wouldn't swap mine for all the tea in china!

http://www.markbass.it/product-detail/mini-cmd-121p/
I have one of these, too. It’s awesome. And it has an XLR input.
GC
5 valves
5 valves

Post by GC »

I used a CMD 102P, the one with 2 10" speakers and a tweeter in a front ported enclosure. I had to be careful not to drown out folks with it, including some pretty loud groups. Same amp section and XLR input. Its new owner and his bands really appreciate it (I retired from playing bass).

If I ever take up playing again, I'll go for the 121P just for weight's sake. It's 17 pounds lighter than the 102P. Add an matching extension cabinet on the bottom, and you have a lightweight beast that can level small buildings.
JP/Sterling 377 compensating Eb; Warburton "The Grail" T.G.4, RM-9 7.8, Yamaha 66D4; for sale > 1914 Conn Monster Eb (my avatar), ca. 1905 Fillmore Bros 1/4-size Eb, Bach 42B trombone
WC8KCY
3 valves
3 valves

Post by WC8KCY »

Steve Oberheu wrote:If the venue I'm playing has a decent soundsystem I usually prefer to run direct into the soundboard and just use a monitor onstage. When I do need my own amp, I've been using a Traynor Dynabass 300T for the last several years. It's super lightweight and portable, 2 x 8" speakers with a nice tone that's tight and punchy. Rated at 300W It has all the beef I need for most venues I play. Any gig I play that requires anything louder usually already has backline provided. Unfortunately the company is no longer making this particular model, but they do make a 200 Watt box with a single 12" that sounds killer.
+1. The Traynor 300T is a truly excellent combo amp.
Wayne Rice
bugler
bugler

Post by Wayne Rice »

I use a Genz Benz 6.2 with a Carvin 2 x 10 cab. The Genz Benz, like a number of amps mentioned, is out of production. It weighs probably 3 lbs. The cab weighs about 35 lbs. You can buy a Genzler instead or find a Genz Benz on the used market. Try Reverb. I've probably played 500 gigs with that Genz and a Genz 6.0. Never a problem.
Keep playing, because expression is life.