Ivan Hammond

The bulk of the musical talk
Sam Gnagey
4 valves
4 valves

Ivan Hammond

Post by Sam Gnagey »

It's been reported that Ivan died in a motorcycle accident in southern Indiana sometime between Friday evening and Saturday morning. He was a student of Bill Bell at Indiana University when several of us old guys were there too. For many years he was professor of tuba at Bowling Green University in Ohio. Ivan was a quirky, soft-spoken gentleman, truly a unique individual.
Many of the tuba students in the late 1960s era of IU developed a real brotherhood working together on the opera stage crew. Ivan was one of our mentors.
Last edited by Sam Gnagey on Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Ivan Hammond

Post by bisontuba »

R.I.P. Ivan.....
Michael Grant
bugler
bugler

Post by Michael Grant »

Very sad news. Ivan had many great stories about his time working on the opera sets at IU. He and Connie loved riding their motorcycles. I had the pleasure of studying with him at BGSU in 1982-83. He had a great studio and I really enjoyed the other students and his company. He was a kind person with a laid back teaching approach. Don’t confuse that with easy. He liked early morning lessons and had high expectations. I still recall (with frustration) how he insisted I use the French horn parts when working on the Mozart horn concertos. He had a great sense of humor and lessons were fun. In addition to all the lessons on tuba and music, he also taught me the joy of Oreos with peanut butter and carrots with peanut butter. I still put peanut butter on Oreos. Ivan was a wonderful role model, mentor, player and person. He will be missed. R.I.P., Ivan.
Michael Grant
Wessex HB24 BBb Helicon
King 2341
tbonesullivan
4 valves
4 valves

Post by tbonesullivan »

Oh man, as a fellow rider, that's sad to hear. I think Alan Baer rides as well. But it sounds like he led a great life, and impacted the lives of many people. He was doing what he loved.
Yamaha YBB-631S BBb Tuba, B&H Imperial Eb Tuba, Sterling / Perantucci 1065GHS Euphonium
Yamaha YBL-621 RII Bass Trombone and a bunch of other trombones
Big Toot
bugler
bugler

Post by Big Toot »

May flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.
New tubist. Ex-euphoniumistststst...
No, wait. Euphoniumist once again... Damn, it's hard to keep up.
MACK Brass EU1150S
Amati ABB-221
Musikwissenschaft.
Composer for all instruments and ensembles.
Eaton Community Band.
Richmond Jazz Orchestra.
hbcrandy
4 valves
4 valves

Post by hbcrandy »

I only knew Ivan by phone. He was a great guy! In the early 1980's, Ivan sold me a King, rotary valved CC tuba. Rest in peace, Ivan.
Randy Harrison
Proprietor,
Harrison Brass
Baltimore, Maryland USA
http://www.harrisonbrass.com
Instructor of Applied Brass Performance
Maryland Conservatory of Music
Bel Air and Havre de Grace, Maryland USA
http://www.musicismagic.com
Davidus1
bugler
bugler

Post by Davidus1 »

Very sorry to hear this. RIP. Prayers to the family.
John 3:16

Mack Brass 200S BBb
Yamaha YSL-630 .525 Trombone
Conn 15I Euphonium
Mack Brass Euphonium
swillafew
5 valves
5 valves

Post by swillafew »

I had a year of lessons with Ivan, he was a good guy. My favorite observation of his was that he played in two brass quintets, one BGSU studio faculty and one Toledo Symphony players. BG group rehearsed all the time, and the Toledo group got the music on approval and sight read it on gigs. They would buy what they thought worked out well. It was an eye opener for me, and when I got the chance I started a group that rehearsed just a tiny bit and performed as much as possible.

I am pleased to have known him. I owned a motorcycle until this year. If you have one, please be careful. My own health is good but the least problem can be lethal and having had a few issues, it was time to be done.
MORE AIR
Worth
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Worth »

It is always sad news when something like this happens, but he was living more than most 78 year olds are, much respect given. At least he went out doing something that made him feel alive. Here's a pix from Rolling Thunder 2018 in the Pentagon parking lot with my bike in the foreground. It's a feeling of freedom unlike any other. I didn't know Ivan, but somehow I do in another way. A kindred spirit gone too soon.

2014 Wisemann 900 with Laskey 30H
~1980 Cerveny 4V CC Piggy
1935 Franz Schediwy BBb
1968 Conn 2J (thinking of selling)