It's been 40 years, but...

The bulk of the musical talk
MN_TimTuba

It's been 40 years, but...

Post by MN_TimTuba »

I finally started adult tuba lessons today. Last year I'd performed 2 solos with our community band and thought everything was fine. Hearing the recording left me pretty disappointed re: my intonation. So, after hours of practicing with a tuner, and trying other horns and several mouthpieces, I bit the bullet and contacted Mr. Dave Werden. I'm glad I did. Today was lesson number one, and he certainly gave me good things to work on. The entire lesson time was laid-back yet analytical, and Dave is truly a talented and pleasant gentleman. I was fortunate to arrive quite early (He's 3 hrs away, and I hate being late, so...) and was able to enjoy his weekly rehearsal session with his pianist. Wow. I plan on being early often.
At any rate, I believe I picked the right guy to guide me to better playing, and really do wish I had started up with formal lessons years ago.
FWIW, here's a video of Dave that I do enjoy quite a bit - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rr7up46Ikfk" target="_blank" target="_blank

I'm looking forward to progress.
Ann Reid
bugler
bugler

Re: It's been 40 years, but...

Post by Ann Reid »

Congratulations! When I found that thanks to arthritis, I could no longer play bass clarinet or the contrabass clarinets, I started to self teach myself first trombone, then euphonium.

After the first couple months, I found a tough, demanding teacher who didn’t care how old I was.

Presently some of my happiest moments are at my lessons and my community band.

Looking forward to your next solo self review!
Big Toot
bugler
bugler

Post by Big Toot »

Most excellent! I began mine about a month ago, and while he is no Dave Werden (and really - who is), he is a mighty fine teacher. I hope you get what you want out of the lessons. Best of luck!
New tubist. Ex-euphoniumistststst...
No, wait. Euphoniumist once again... Damn, it's hard to keep up.
MACK Brass EU1150S
Amati ABB-221
Musikwissenschaft.
Composer for all instruments and ensembles.
Eaton Community Band.
Richmond Jazz Orchestra.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

That's great, Tim! On the Holton...?

Just don't wait another 40 years before the next lessons. :)

PS -- you sent me a PM a long time ago, and I forgot to reply. Will try to get back to you this weekend. :tuba:
Birdo
lurker
lurker

Post by Birdo »

6 total hours of driving time? Wow that really says a lot about both Mr. Werden as a teacher and yourself as a student. Congrats!

‘Tis the season I guess. I have an “interview”, for lack of a better term, with a potential euph teacher on Monday so here’s hoping it goes well. There’s a lot I can do well but also a lot of basic stuff I don’t do very well at all. So I’m ready to stop winging it alone and get some guidance.
MN_TimTuba

Post by MN_TimTuba »

Thanks, all, for the support!
Ann - I agree on happy moments in lessons and band rehearsals!
Toot - Congrats to you on starting lessons, too, and best of luck in your learning.
Brett - Yup, the Holton, so far. There may be a development. I look forward to your reply, and I'll fill you in at that time. I did notice that you didn't bring the fam up to Itasca this summer - and I was all set to do some guiding!
Mike - Dave is terrific. Kind, patient, absolutely knows his stuff, and has the background to prove it.
Bird - Re: 6 hrs. Well, it's kind of become a normal travel day for us; our kids are not far from Dave, and we get there every month at least. Living out here, there are some good players around, and some good instructors, but I had heard Dave and watched his lesson style at the MN Tuba Workshop last spring, and I knew I could have confidence in him.

FWIW - I was pretty sure my intonation shortcomings could be traced to one of three things - 1) the horn or 2) my embouchure/oral cavity or 3) my beginning-to-fail hearing. I tried a few horns and several mouthpieces, and am playing fairly consistently sharp, so it must be 2 or 3 at fault. That's what I'll be working on.

I was a decent student back in the day. We'll see if I've lost it.
roughrider
4 valves
4 valves

Post by roughrider »

I was interested in your post! I have now had hearing aides in both ears for nearly 3 years. It has made a world of difference to my playing. This is confirmed by my stand partner who said to me "Don't ever come to rehearsal without out them because otherwise you sound awful! I guess I'll have to find a different excuse for my playing! Enjoy the lessons and your Holton! Have you had the lacquer refinished yet?
1930 King "Symphony" Recording Bass BBb
1916 Holton "Mammoth" Upright Bass BBb
1994 King 2341 Upright Bass BBb
Wedge H2 Solo mouthpieces
Stofer-Geib mouthpieces
MN_TimTuba

Post by MN_TimTuba »

roughrider wrote:I was interested in your post! I have now had hearing aides in both ears for nearly 3 years. It has made a world of difference to my playing. This is confirmed by my stand partner who said to me "Don't ever come to rehearsal without out them because otherwise you sound awful! I guess I'll have to find a different excuse for my playing! Enjoy the lessons and your Holton! Have you had the lacquer refinished yet?
Rider,
Are you my wife in disguise??
Honestly, I've been considering that. I appreciate your stand partner's honesty - I'll have to ask our other tuba player what he honestly thinks of my playing.
No, I haven't refinished the lacquer. I tell myself that playing a tuba that looks old make me look young. (The lies we tell ourselves...)
roughrider
4 valves
4 valves

Post by roughrider »

Lol! I actually have never been to Minnesota, so that rules out the "wife" role! All of my hearing loss is at the upper end of the spectrum. If you are a flute, clarinet or oboe player, I am sure you are a wonderful person, however up until I put the hearing aides in, I couldn't hear you! ( I am 90% deaf in my left ear. The result of too much listening to music with headphones and also playing in front of a very good however very loud percussion section ). Your Holton is a beautiful horn and I really enjoyed the before and after pictures you posted about it here!
1930 King "Symphony" Recording Bass BBb
1916 Holton "Mammoth" Upright Bass BBb
1994 King 2341 Upright Bass BBb
Wedge H2 Solo mouthpieces
Stofer-Geib mouthpieces
Davidus1
bugler
bugler

Post by Davidus1 »

Congratulations! Glad to hear that. Enjoy!
John 3:16

Mack Brass 200S BBb
Yamaha YSL-630 .525 Trombone
Conn 15I Euphonium
Mack Brass Euphonium
MN_TimTuba

Post by MN_TimTuba »

Davidus - Yes I will. Will be good to practice with a 'purpose' in mind. I'm guilty of using my practice time to just play for fun, rather than improvement.
Rider - Yes, my tech did a very nice job on the old girl. For anyone who wishes to see, here is before - https://imgur.com/gallery/pb3dM" target="_blank and here is after - https://imgur.com/a/wX5rZ" target="_blank .
jpwell
bugler
bugler

Post by jpwell »

Congrats on the lessons. After a 25 year break I reentered the music world, first on trombone then tuba. I have taken lessons on both, I have even studied tuba at a university close to me. The time, determination and drive I have now pail in comparison to my former years. I am a retired fireman and have time to devote to music. I work harder learning to play and make slower progress but have LOTS of fun. I will still be a community band button masher but will be much better at it. Some of my highlights from my studies are being the single tuba player at our middle university band rehearsal and carrying the whole band just me, performing my first recital at age 58 and playing with some of my “classmates “ at an Oktoberfest. It’s been way better than I thought possible. My teacher is awesome. Some of the kids don’t know how to take me lol.

Kudos to you in acknowledging you don’t have it all figured out and seeking out a teacher. Most of all have fun.
MN_TimTuba

Post by MN_TimTuba »

JP,
Hey, and congrats to you, as well. Making music - whether small group, country/rock band, full wind band, choir, in church, whatever - makes every day better. Doing it well just adds to the enjoyment.
Thanks, too, for your time on the fire department. It's a tough job - you deserve some fun!
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

Holton B PHAT!! :tuba:
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
MN_TimTuba

Post by MN_TimTuba »

Three - you know it!