redux: same old tired shipping argument

The bulk of the musical talk
doublebuzzing
3 valves
3 valves

Re: redux: same old tired shipping argument

Post by doublebuzzing »

I bought a used tuba from a well known brass shop and they wouldn't even think about shipping it on Greyhound. I don't understand
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Came within angstroms of totally destroying...

Does that mean it was damaged, but not totally? Or was it unscathed?
Matt G
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Matt G »

Plank-length was maintained
Dillon/Walters CC
Meinl Weston 2165
Tom
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Tom »

Yup...a 5,000 to 7,000 lb. forklift coming in at 5mph or so with steel tines can do some serious destruction.

And anyone that thinks their aluminum, plastic, fiberglass, or Anvil "flight case" will be able to withstand that is kidding themselves. You're welcome to call me and come see my orchestra's collection of pierced cases if you need visual confirmation.

In fact, just a few weeks ago I was on the loading dock looking at a package just like that. It was a brand new flammables cabinet (insurance co. says we needed a new one). It arrived encased in cardboard on a pallet with two big forklift holes in it. Driver just said "oh, just refuse delivery and we'll bring you a new one." About a month later, I'm still waiting on one to show up that isn't pierced or crushed. If anyone locally actually had one of these stupid things in stock, I'd just go pick it up myself. :roll:

Low and slow is the way to go.
The Darling Of The Thirty-Cents-Sharp Low D♭'s.
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

doublebuzzing wrote:I bought a used tuba from a well known brass shop and they wouldn't even think about shipping it on Greyhound. I don't understand
I've gotten the same argument but I suspect it's more for one or more of the following reasons:
- They are not close to a Greyhound terminal.
- The Greyhound terminal is in a part of town where they would rather not go.
- They don't like Greyhound's liability limits ($1,000 within about 1,000 miles and $300 beyond).
- They simply don't want to have to leave their shop to drop off an instrument (UPS and FEDEX will pick up).
- They think Greyhound is somehow 'sleazy' just because it's a cheap method of transportation.
- Their customer wants 'door to door' service and isn't willing to make a trip to Greyhound for a variety of reasons.
- Many of their customers have receiving departments (schools, businesses, etc.) and just want stuff delivered.

What they are not considering is that Greyhound's size limits are 40" high x 52" wide x 84" long. Larger cartons mean better protection without going to the 'double oversize' costs of UPS or FEDEX. Also... as Bloke pointed out... shipments don't get more than 2' off the ground and are moved from bus to bus with a hand truck instead of conveyor belts. There are no large 'hubs' where stuff can easily get damaged. For me... I enjoy the fact that I don't have to spend endless hours trying to find a 'cheaper way' just to avoid larger boxes.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
roweenie
pro musician
pro musician

Post by roweenie »

Dan Schultz wrote:I enjoy the fact that I don't have to spend endless hours trying to find a 'cheaper way' just to avoid larger boxes.
+1

FedEx and UPS came up with a new way of ripping people off when they came up with their "dimensional weight" surcharges - the shipping cost on larger package sizes practically doubled overnight, regardless of its "actual" weight.

To be sure, Greyhound has its flaws, but it's still 1000x safer than the two I just mentioned - there's no way I'd trust something as valuable as a tuba with people who could be capable of doing what I saw in that picture posted above. Just be sure to have it shipped to a large terminal that has a room designated for parcels, and go pick it up. Better to drive 200 miles and have a horn in one piece, than have a pile of crap conveniently delivered to your doorstep.

Of course, as bloke says, the BEST way is to go and get it yourself. I've driven 1000 miles (each way!) to do just that. In fact, if I were selling a horn, I'd even be inclined to take a little less, if I knew the buyer would save me the trouble and hassle of packing and shipping and nail-biting and come pick it up in person.
"Even a broken clock is right twice a day".
JESimmons
bugler
bugler

Post by JESimmons »

There’s no longer a Greyhound station within 100-miles of me. It seems they’re closing in every place not a fairly large city. In my town, the bus stops at the Flying J truck stop - curbside only.

That said, Baltimore Brass shipped a tuba to me by Old Dominion truck line. The box was perfect when it arrived - not palletized.
Steginkt
bugler
bugler

Post by Steginkt »

Just so more info is in the mix, I actually have had a tuba 'lost' by greyhound, showing up a few weeks later in a pawn shop in Chicago.

I'm going to be sticking to driving myself out to meet my new instruments from now on
Yamaha Xeno YSL-8820
Willson 3400 Eb
Lyon and Healy Sousaphone
5/4 Rudolf Meinl CC
Wessex trumpet
The Big Ben
6 valves
6 valves

Post by The Big Ben »

Someone is recounting a shipment of a helicon that was supposed to be sent to Portland, OR and The Dog shipped it to Portland, ME on the King FB group right now.

Is there a way to independently insure a tuba in shipment? Like, buy a $10K policy for $50 for the term of the shipment? Kinda like buying flight insurance out of a machine in an airport. (Do they still have those?)
tbonesullivan
4 valves
4 valves

Post by tbonesullivan »

I don't know if I'd trust ANY shipping company to not destroy a tuba or other large instrument of that size. Kinda limits what instruments I can get my hands on, but on the other hand, it prevents me from spending money.

They do "relay races" to help move rescued dogs from one shelter to another. Maybe it's time for a TUBA BUCKET BRIGADE?
Yamaha YBB-631S BBb Tuba, B&H Imperial Eb Tuba, Sterling / Perantucci 1065GHS Euphonium
Yamaha YBL-621 RII Bass Trombone and a bunch of other trombones
Tom
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Tom »

tbonesullivan wrote:They do "relay races" to help move rescued dogs from one shelter to another. Maybe it's time for a TUBA BUCKET BRIGADE?
That sort of idea was floated here by Wade some time ago as an actual, serious alternative to tuba shipping. As I recall the site owner didn't want TubeNet to be any part of it (liability?) and requested an end to that discussion. The concept is used a lot on automotive, motorcycle, and equipment forums and could easily be applied to tubas - but it seems to me it would be difficult for the concept to take hold without the underlying use of TubeNet as the 'infrastructure,' if you will.
The Darling Of The Thirty-Cents-Sharp Low D♭'s.
Z-Tuba Dude
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Z-Tuba Dude »

It might make an interesting poll; How many people have used Greyhound/How many people have lost an instrument?
tubaccountant
lurker
lurker

Post by tubaccountant »

Has anyone ever used uship.com? Post your item and shippers will submit bids. I have used it a couple of times (but not for a tuba) with good results.
Big Toot
bugler
bugler

Post by Big Toot »

Matthew Gilchrest wrote:Plank-length was maintained
That distance must be maintained.
New tubist. Ex-euphoniumistststst...
No, wait. Euphoniumist once again... Damn, it's hard to keep up.
MACK Brass EU1150S
Amati ABB-221
Musikwissenschaft.
Composer for all instruments and ensembles.
Eaton Community Band.
Richmond Jazz Orchestra.