Finding the illusive "perfect" mouthpiece

The bulk of the musical talk
tubapress
pro musician
pro musician

Post by tubapress »

bloke wrote:We perfect players don't necessarily need perfect mouthpieces.

:roll: :shock: :oops: :lol:
REAL men don't use mouthpieces! ;-)
Gary Press
gary_press@yahoo.com" target="_blank
Billy M.
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Billy M. »

My best recommendation, find a way to get in touch with Doug Elliott and tell him what you want. He'll probably have the best combination. The price will be around $200 shipping included, but it'll be the best way to set up your combo. After that, you can spend less on interchangable parts to adjust what you feel works for you at the time.

He's great to work with and very courteous.

Hope this helps.
Romans 3:23-24

Billy Morris
Rudolf Meinl Model 45, Musikmesse Horn
Boosey & Hawkes Imperial Eb (19" Bell)
1968 Besson New Standard Eb (15" Bell)
jsswadley
pro musician
pro musician

mouthpieces

Post by jsswadley »

Both elusive and illusive, I'd say. John
Chen
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Chen »

Bill Troiano wrote:Sounds to me like you might like the G&W Alan Baer mouthpiece.
Having played that mouthpiece myself, I would not recommend it to someone who is looking for a thin, sharp rim.

Maybe try Marcinkiewicz N series, they feature large cup diameter, narrow rim (N for narrow), and you have 4 (1-4, 4 being the shallowest) choices of cup depth. The N4 is the Tommy Johnson model.

For more info on mouthpiece selection, go to www.storkcustom.com
I find the info helpful myself.

There's nothing wrong with trying out different mouthpieces. However simply play them all is not very effective; go to the website and read what Phylis and John Stork have to offer. I must have played more than 60, 70 mouthpieces, now I just play on my Laskey mouthpieces, I own a set, 30G, H, F, C. They work well enough for me and my tuba, and they all have the same rim which provides consistency.

Those who tell you to forget about mouthpiece and just play, ask them if they will go for it if offered a chance to work with a mouthpiece expert, like Stork, or Laskey, Elliott or the GW guys, to create truely customized mouthpieces just for him/her, I doubt many of them will say no.

When you think you have a physical problem you go see a Doctor, who diognose (spell?) and provides you his or her professional opinion and possible ways to treat. If you feel you are not playing well because the mouthpiece, there is nothing wrong with having someone (expert) to check it out for you, and make recommendations; but if you just try different medicines yourself, maybe if you get lucky you will solve the problem, but more likely worthen it. Messing with mouthpieces randomly is kinda like that. And, would it stop you from seeing a Doctor if someone else tells you to just suck it up?

But...if it is not broken...don't fix it!!!
Chen
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Chen »

tubatooter1940 wrote:We may never find the perfect mouthpiece or the perfect woman but that doesn't mean we shouldn't keep trying them out.
This is indeed an interesting (and valid) comparison. You must be pretty young!