Arnold Jacobs and John Fletcher mouthpiece

The bulk of the musical talk
Lew
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Lew »

barry guerrero wrote:When I saw John Fletcher in London, he indeed had what looked like a Helleberg m.p. stuck into his Holton. I never asked him about it. I believe that Arnold Jacobs arranged for Fletch to get the Holton through Bob Tucci. I know that Fletch quite often used a Bach 24AW on his two EEb's. So maybe this story is the real deal.

Barry Guerrero
Given the seller, I believe the story. Unfortunately there is absolutely no way to confirm the story with any certainty, but it's a fun story anyway.
King 2341 (one piece)
Besson 983
brianf
4 valves
4 valves

Post by brianf »

For something like this, you have to look at the seller. For example, a few years ago I sold a number of Mr Jacobs' mouthpieces. Most of you know I still have a relationship with the Jacobs family so it was legit.

In this case, there are two issues. Mr Jacobs gave John Fletcher an original Conn Helleberg - I heard this from both of them and Bob Tucci was there. Sounds Legit. Mike Johnson has been selling John Fletcher's mouthpieces over the years - I even bought one, not because it was one of Fletch's but for the model.

It's nice to have something with a history but there can be problems. Mr Jacobs' 30's era Hellebergs were sold to an individual who is using them with no idea of reproducing it as a "Jacobs Mouthpiece." Hopefully someone will not buy this to reproduce as a "Jacobs-Fletcher" mouthpiece.
Brian Frederiksen
WindSong Press
PO Box 146
Gurnee, Illinois 60031
Phone 847 223-4586
http://www.windsongpress.com" target="_blank
brianf@windsongpress.com" target="_blank
Phil Dawson
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Phil Dawson »

If I buy this mouthpiece and a BAT in C will I sound as good as those guys?
Phil