Martin Rotary tuba

The bulk of the musical talk
Gus_Pratt
bugler
bugler

Martin Rotary tuba

Post by Gus_Pratt »

Well here is something I have never seen before: a Martin rotary. I believe this is an Eb, but not certain. It looks like it could possibly make a decent F tuba, since it has a tuning slide in the leadpipe and another after. Has anyone ever played a Martin rotary?

https://photos.google.com/album/AF1QipP ... U1IbHIQsXN" target="_blank" target="_blank

Upon closer review, I have determined this is not a tuba but a euphonium.
Last edited by Gus_Pratt on Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gus_Pratt
bugler
bugler

Re: Martin Rotary tuba

Post by Gus_Pratt »

Upon closer review of the picture, this is actually a euphonium. Has anyone played a Martin euphonium, or know if Martin made rotary tubas?
SousaWarrior9
3 valves
3 valves

Post by SousaWarrior9 »

Martin had the option to order their horns with rotary valves instead of pistons, but because it wasn't a predominately advertised option and because of the popularity of pistons in the US market at the time, few were made. The valves weren't (as far as I know) made by Martin and were likely imported by a European Manufacturer and put on existing Martin-made bugles. I've never seen a Martin rotary euphonium (the link doesn't work for me) but I;m sure it was an option if someone asked them to build one.

Here are the following Martin rotary examples I've seen:

4V Medium Eb
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=32776&start=84" target="_blank" target="_blank

4V Medium CC
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=30808&hilit=Jay+mca ... 12#p269577" target="_blank" target="_blank

4V Slant-rotor Medium CC
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=62006" target="_blank" target="_blank

4V Mammoth CC
(this example has a MW valve cluster added, but apparently had a Martin cluster)
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=67705" target="_blank" target="_blank

4V Medium BBb
https://reverb.com/item/10569885-martin-band-tuba-1919" target="_blank" target="_blank

3V Mammoth BBb
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=65119" target="_blank" target="_blank

4V Top-action Mammoth BBb
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5my_gUYPN8" target="_blank" target="_blank
"Some men are macho men. Others are Martin men"

It's that word "handcraft"...
tubaeric
bugler
bugler

Post by tubaeric »

I actually own the Jay McAllister Martin CC that is referenced above. It is a wonderful instrument that I believe has been misrepresented previously here on tubenet.

At some point in it's history somebody tried to "repair" the bell to bottom bow connection by applying a coat of shellac. This of course did not seal the bottom bow and had a less-than-desirable effect on the intonation. This tuba has since been repaired properly, and intonation is not a problem.

Also, this tuba is definitely a 6/4 instrument. It is every bit as large as my front action 3 valve Martin 6/4 BBb tuba.

I have also played the Agnew CC Martin. That was a very fine playing instrument as well. Although, it does not have the original valve set. It's valve set is a larger bore than the Jay McAllister.

I hope this helps.
SousaWarrior9
3 valves
3 valves

Post by SousaWarrior9 »

tubaeric wrote:I actually own the Jay McAllister Martin CC that is referenced above. It is a wonderful instrument that I believe has been misrepresented previously here on tubenet.

At some point in it's history somebody tried to "repair" the bell to bottom bow connection by applying a coat of shellac. This of course did not seal the bottom bow and had a less-than-desirable effect on the intonation. This tuba has since been repaired properly, and intonation is not a problem.

Also, this tuba is definitely a 6/4 instrument. It is every bit as large as my front action 3 valve Martin 6/4 BBb tuba.

I have also played the Agnew CC Martin. That was a very fine playing instrument as well. Although, it does not have the original valve set. It's valve set is a larger bore than the Jay McAllister.

I hope this helps.
Thanks for clarifying. I guess the short bell stack makes it look deceptively small, but now that you mention it, the size of the bows do look consistent with mammoths. Looks like a wicked cool horn.
Also i'm SUPER jealous that you're blessed to have two of these beasts! A front action mammoth has been on my list ever since I first played a mammoth. I love the sound of mine, but I've never liked the ergonomics of top action valves. Congrats!
"Some men are macho men. Others are Martin men"

It's that word "handcraft"...
Paul Scott
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Paul Scott »

Martin did indeed make a rotary baritone. One is pictured in an early (ca. 1916), catalogue.
Adjunct Tuba Professor
William Paterson University
Wayne, NJ
Gus_Pratt
bugler
bugler

Post by Gus_Pratt »

Here's a link to where I way the Martin rotary euphonium
https://www.shopgoodwill.com/Item/77271921" target="_blank
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Gus_Pratt wrote:Here's a link to where I way the Martin rotary euphonium
https://www.shopgoodwill.com/Item/77271921" target="_blank" target="_blank
That's wild!
Tubajug
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Tubajug »

bort wrote:
Gus_Pratt wrote:Here's a link to where I way the Martin rotary euphonium
https://www.shopgoodwill.com/Item/77271921" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank
That's wild!
That's only about 90 minutes away from me. Interesting.... you don't see too many unique low brass instruments show up here in Nebraska.
Jordan
King 2341 with a Holton "Monster" Eb bell
Eb Frankentuba
Martin Medium Eb Helicon

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving's probably not for you.