Polish For Rose Brass

The bulk of the musical talk
JStubaJMU
bugler
bugler

Polish For Rose Brass

Post by JStubaJMU »

I have a Kanstul 5490 CC with a rose brass bell. What kind of polish / cleaner should I use to clean/polish the bell. I've used water and a rag, but it basically just smudges.

I came here to ask before I try something too abrasive and rub the finish off :shock:
tclements
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Re: Polish For Rose Brass

Post by tclements »

If it is RAW brass, any brass product will; do. PLEASE make sure it has no abrasives, though. If it is lacquered, I use a glass cleaner with no ammonia. The repair guys and horn builders here can give you better information, though.
JStubaJMU
bugler
bugler

Post by JStubaJMU »

Thanks! I may not be using the correct terminology, but this is what the tuba looks like. I think it's just the lacquer that has the rose gold look. https://www.kanstul.com/instruments/tub ... d-cc-tuba/" target="_blank
GC
5 valves
5 valves

Post by GC »

Kanstul made a huge deal about using an alloy identical to that used in the old York tubas. Posts here in the past have said that this alloy is closer to a variety of bronze, which accounts for the reddish color. Since the horn is lacquered, just use any kind of non-abrasive or corrosive lacquer polish.
JP/Sterling 377 compensating Eb; Warburton "The Grail" T.G.4, RM-9 7.8, Yamaha 66D4; for sale > 1914 Conn Monster Eb (my avatar), ca. 1905 Fillmore Bros 1/4-size Eb, Bach 42B trombone
JStubaJMU
bugler
bugler

Post by JStubaJMU »

Thanks so much!
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

If it's lacquered... I've always used Windex or lemon pledge
tbonesullivan
4 valves
4 valves

Post by tbonesullivan »

You can use water with a tiny bit of dish soap, and a rag. It's basically like cleaning windows. Just avoid any type of harsh cleaning solvents and you'll be fine.

How does the tuba play? There aren't any of those out there.
Yamaha YBB-631S BBb Tuba, B&H Imperial Eb Tuba, Sterling / Perantucci 1065GHS Euphonium
Yamaha YBL-621 RII Bass Trombone and a bunch of other trombones
JStubaJMU
bugler
bugler

Post by JStubaJMU »

tbonesullivan wrote: How does the tuba play? There aren't any of those out there.
It is a fine tuba. It plays like a big piston York style tuba. The pistons are very short action, which means the pass-throughs on the valves are a bit small and leads to a bit of stuffiness with multiple valves down. Mostly in the low register. The 5th valve/rotor is huge.

Compared to a Thor that a buddy of mine had, this tuba's tone is much much more mellow and velvety.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

How is the intonation? I considered one of these, once... But the intonation was just all over the place. I've heard that the very best of these was a very nice tuba... And that the worst was not very good... And that they made so few, they never had a chance to iron things out and get them consistently good. It's a similar tuba to the PT-6P, but without the 30(?) years of R&D, countless iterations, and actual production of x,xxx(?) actual tubas.

Sounds like you must have a good one that works well for you! :tuba:
JStubaJMU
bugler
bugler

Post by JStubaJMU »

Intonation on my horn is pretty average. Most of the issues I have are because of my own lackluster aural skills. Takes some slide pulling regardless, due to the large size. Funny thing is, I've considered offering it as a trade for a similar or slightly smaller tuba with rotary valves. Only issue is that it would be my third tuba in three years and I would feel like I haven't given myself enough time on it to give it its due.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

JStubaJMU wrote:Intonation on my horn is pretty average. Most of the issues I have are because of my own lackluster aural skills. Takes some slide pulling regardless, due to the large size. Funny thing is, I've considered offering it as a trade for a similar or slightly smaller tuba with rotary valves. Only issue is that it would be my third tuba in three years and I would feel like I haven't given myself enough time on it to give it its due.
No shame in that, do what you gotta do.

I'm about to take delivery of tuba #5 in 18 months. If something doesn't work, it doesn't work... (Or if something else seems like it would be better). And it doesn't take years to figure that out. :)

Or as I like to say, almost nobody decides to get married for life after a first date. That's just to decide if you want more dates. Not does it take years of dating to decide if you want to get married.
gwwilk
3 valves
3 valves

Post by gwwilk »

róża mosiądz perhaps? :tuba: :roll:
Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com