TubaChristmas question...

The bulk of the musical talk
jperry1466
bugler
bugler

TubaChristmas question...

Post by jperry1466 »

...or "poll", if you will. I know it's early. Can any of you give me the number of selections that your groups play at this event each year?

We are doing our second one ever locally this year and have a really "energetic" organizer. He wants to do 15 tunes. We will rehearse about an hour and 45 mins. and stop 15 minutes before the concert. Our guest conductor is a local band director (not a tuba player), and he asked my opinion on the 15. Bear in mind that we are trying to grow from our 20 last year and even reaching out to younger middle school students to participate. I told him I would be more comfortable doing fewer tunes and doing them well (say 12-13) than trying to cram extras in just for the sake of more time. He agrees. My thought is rehearse the "must-play" and/or more difficult tunes first, then work in however many we can. I would just like an average number to give to the organizer. Last year's rehearsal was pretty taxing, and my chops were pretty well blown out by the time we actually performed. We will let the conductor make that call, but I wanted to give him some support. Thanks in advance for your help.
doebs
lurker
lurker

Re: TubaChristmas question...

Post by doebs »

The ones I have played (Northfield MN, Valparaiso IN) do approximately 20 tunes. Rehearsal is an hour and there is an hour to rest between. That said, there were many more than 20 players. All age range. My son played his first in middle school.
jperry1466
bugler
bugler

Re: TubaChristmas question...

Post by jperry1466 »

Thanks, all. It has worked itself out. We are just looking at doubling our numbers this year, and most have never participated.
doebs wrote:The ones I have played do approximately 20 tunes. Rehearsal is an hour and there is an hour to rest between.
We could do 15-20 if we had an hour to rest, but ours is on a Sunday afternoon, and we have to schedule in between local churches having their various events that day. Thanks for the good info.