Bizet and Tuba?

The bulk of the musical talk
Mark

Bizet and Tuba?

Post by Mark »

Did Bizet write anything that had a tuba part? When the orchestra plays Carmen excerpts or the L'Arlesienne Suite, I listen to the trombones and think that it sounds like fun. But, I don't get to play!
Chuck(G)
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Chuck(G) »

Novello lists:

Carmen Suite No. 2
Orchestration: 2222/4231/timp.perc/hp/str
windshieldbug
Once got the "hand" as a cue
Once got the "hand" as a cue

Post by windshieldbug »

There's lots of quintet stuff from Carmen and L'Arlesienne, and even the Toreador Song for Tuba Quartet
Mark

Post by Mark »

windshieldbug wrote:There's lots of quintet stuff from Carmen and L'Arlesienne, and even the Toreador Song for Tuba Quartet
Yeah, but I'm pretty sure Bizet didn't arrange these. :wink:
Chuck(G)
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Chuck(G) »

Mark wrote:
windshieldbug wrote:There's lots of quintet stuff from Carmen and L'Arlesienne, and even the Toreador Song for Tuba Quartet
Yeah, but I'm pretty sure Bizet didn't arrange these. :wink:
I believe that the Carmen Suite #2 is a Rodion Shchedrin setting...
Chuck Jackson
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Chuck Jackson »

That particular suite was done by a house arranger at Lucks in the early part of the 20th Century. Rodion Schederin(sorry about the spelling) arranged music by Bizet for strings and 8 percussionists. His now famous "Carmen Suite" was arranged for his wife, a Prima Ballerina at the Bolshoi. It is a spectacular work that is REALLY hard for the percussionists, not in terms of technique, but simply in finding/creating the instruments required. This is not purely a Carmen suite as it includes a number or two from L'Arleissiene.

Chuck"who suffers from stick fever now that he doesn't pursue the noble art anymore"Jackson
I drank WHAT?!!-Socrates
Chuck(G)
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Chuck(G) »

Chuck Jackson wrote:That particular suite was done by a house arranger at Lucks in the early part of the 20th Century.
Regardless, it's not original Bizet, right?
Chuck Jackson
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Chuck Jackson »

Actually, it is. It follows the opera score to a tee. The added voices(4th Horn, Tuba,etc.) reinforce existing lines. As a stand alone piece by Bizet? No. Bizet? Yes.

Chuck
I drank WHAT?!!-Socrates