Age, Weight, Plastic, Brass

The bulk of the musical talk
eupho
4 valves
4 valves

Age, Weight, Plastic, Brass

Post by eupho »

As many of us move into our "golden years" the music and sound still feed us but the weight of the horn most assuredly gets in the way. A smaller instrument( 3/4, euphonium) is often the answer. Plastic also is a solution to the weight but sacrifices that deep round sound that we all love. Has anyone experimented with a plastic body and a brass bell? Things that make you go "hmmm".
2052sg Euphonium-
2110L BBb tuba
3/4 Conn Eb tuba
Southern Tier Concert Band(euph)]
Vestal(NY) Community Band(tuba)
Maine(NY) Community Band(conductor)
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Age, Weight, Plastic, Brass

Post by Donn »

Are you sure there's a significant loss with plastic? I haven't heard it in person, but my impression is that if you put a good player behind one of those Tigers for example, the sound that comes out the other end is pretty decent.
MN_TimTuba

Post by MN_TimTuba »

Absolutely.
After toting around my horn for almost 30 yrs, I've lately been eyeing certain 3/4, 7/8, and even 4/4 horns (even plastic for summer outdoor concerts) that would be a joy to carry. Then, after each band rehearsal I think "Nope, this one sounds too good, can't let 'er go, yet." Easiest solution may be to train my wife to tote the Holton while I carry her clarinet.
I'm willing to entertain any wife-training strategies you may have had success with. Send photos and diagrams.
GC
5 valves
5 valves

Post by GC »

Well, not exactly a tuba, but

Plastic body, brass bell, as the OP asked about. And let's not get into the question of whether a Sousaphone is a tuba or something else.
JP/Sterling 377 compensating Eb; Warburton "The Grail" T.G.4, RM-9 7.8, Yamaha 66D4; for sale > 1914 Conn Monster Eb (my avatar), ca. 1905 Fillmore Bros 1/4-size Eb, Bach 42B trombone
MN_TimTuba

Post by MN_TimTuba »

GC wrote:Well, not exactly a tuba, but

Plastic body, brass bell, as the OP asked about. And let's not get into the question of whether a Sousaphone is a tuba or something else.
I believe that's known as a "Shoulder 6/4", at least down in Tennessee.
MN_TimTuba

Post by MN_TimTuba »

bloke wrote:"shoulder 4/4"

"shoulder 6/4" should probably feature at least a 7" collar and at least a .7XX" bore size, yes?
Touche'.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvhFs2bdRpE" target="_blank
Patrase
bugler
bugler

Post by Patrase »

If you want a light weight tuba still made of brass have a look at the VMI 101 and their stencils. I picked one up the other day and they feel so light, being handmade of sheet brass. Maybe the same for the old Miraphones 186's?
Miraphone Norwegian Star
Yamaha YBB-632 Bb Neo
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

bloke wrote:severe puncture dent within one of the letters spelling out, "THE MUSIC MAN"
Bullet? Must have been a stray - no one would shoot the baritone horn player?
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bisontuba »

Old 186 and all is good.....
Art Hovey
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Art Hovey »

In my humble opinion a brass bell on a plastic body is bassackward. The small tubing (leadpipe & valve section should be brass, but the bugle should be plastic or fiberglass or (better still) carbon fiber for those who can afford it.
I am still enjoying my Tiger clone of a Miraphone 191, especially in the low register. At last week's rehearsal of the Mendelssohn Reformation Symphony with the American Chamber Orchestra I used it to play the contrabassoon part. After hearing the final note (my low D an octave and a third below the staff) the conductor grinned ear-to-ear and said, "That is So Cool!". -And he is a viola player. (There was no timpanist to cover it up at that rehearsal.)
The Tiger is awkward and fragile, but gives me the sound I always wanted for a tenth of the price of a Miraphone and less than half the weight. I hope someday they can come up with an improved model with a better valve section.
Last edited by Art Hovey on Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hubert
3 valves
3 valves

Post by hubert »

I recognize the wish to get lighter equipment, e.g. because of age.
My choice is not plastic. There are nice handmade tubas from some decades ago around, that (after an overhaul) are a real joy to play. E.g. look at the website of Uwe Schneider for more information about this. So, I am happy to own a 5/4 (rather big) F tuba, 5 valves, that weighs 6,5 kg. Some time ago I had a B&F 4/4 B tuba (4 valves) that weighed about the same.
Hubert
tbonesullivan
4 valves
4 valves

Post by tbonesullivan »

Was it Frank Holton who did experiments with trombone bell materials, and found that the sound was much more dependent on shape than material? I think they even used wood.
Yamaha YBB-631S BBb Tuba, B&H Imperial Eb Tuba, Sterling / Perantucci 1065GHS Euphonium
Yamaha YBL-621 RII Bass Trombone and a bunch of other trombones
mikebmiller
bugler
bugler

Post by mikebmiller »

Carbon fiber is starting to take off in the trombone world, with Butler Trombones sell horns as fast as they can make them. They collaborated with Doug Yeo to make a CF bass bone recently. I wonder if CF will become an option in tuba world.I know that Chuck Daellenbach has played a horn with a CF bell at times.
MN_TimTuba

Post by MN_TimTuba »

I guess this is our quintessential old-man horn - viewtopic.php?f=4&t=94026" target="_blank
Looks to be a beauty, which of us will snap her up?
jperry1466
bugler
bugler

Post by jperry1466 »

I agree and identify with all the comments and have even considered a move to a 3/4 CC horn, until I met this guy, the newest member of our community band and now the 4th member of our tuba quartet. He moved to an assisted living facility here from Phoenix where he played with a community band, dixieland band, and brass band. He is 88 years old and plays this 4/4 Orpheus tuba that he bought from a former member of the Coast Guard band. If I can even say the word "tuba" at 88 it'll be an accomplishment. He plays quite well, by the way. Compared to him we are all wimps.
:shock:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tbonesullivan
4 valves
4 valves

Post by tbonesullivan »

Nice! Sadly, a 74 year old who I just started playing in a group with passed away this Friday. But he still managed to bring in his nice silver Mahillon top action tuba (Howard Johnson Style) in an MTS rolling case. Every week, never needed help, and never missed a rehearsal. Until now unfortunately.

So, keep playing as long as you can! RIP John Bilyk.

https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/north ... =194234010" target="_blank
Yamaha YBB-631S BBb Tuba, B&H Imperial Eb Tuba, Sterling / Perantucci 1065GHS Euphonium
Yamaha YBL-621 RII Bass Trombone and a bunch of other trombones
Leland
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Leland »

bloke wrote:A professional tuba player (who stood up and played a large percentage of the time) had such a bell made specifically (the best I can surmise) to alleviate a bit of weight. I believe I've noticed that same tuba player has retreated to using an (albeit: smaller) all-brass instrument.
Would that change have been because of availability, or because of evolving preferences?