The hardest piece I have ever played

The bulk of the musical talk
Chuck Jackson
5 valves
5 valves

The hardest piece I have ever played

Post by Chuck Jackson »

Since I was in High School, I have photocopied EVERYTHING I have ever played. As I no longer perform I have begun to do the last cleaning out of my music. I ran across a number of binders of these pieces and was amazed to see just how much music one can perform in 30 years. I settled in on the tuba part to Brahms 2, in particular the 2nd movement, and realized that it is one piece I would love to play again because it is SO hard. The succession of soft entrances, the balance, the pitch, the touchy little solos that have to sound exactly like the preceeding trombone ones, the entrance near the end(the BIG statement) where the tuba is a major 2nd above the bass trombone, man I would rather play Sensemaya or Planets anyday than have to sweat this thing out, but if it's right, it's glorious. Touch and musicality are everything. I am amazed that this particular movement doesn't show up more on auditions. Anyone care to chime in on a deceptively easy looking piece that is TRES hard?

Chuck

P.S.-NO, the books in question are not for sale. In honor of the multitude of still in copyright and highly sought after excerpts, I am shredding everything starting tonight. YOU do the work.
I drank WHAT?!!-Socrates
Jarrod
bugler
bugler

anyone?

Post by Jarrod »

I played a piece this summer that I wasn't previously familiar with, but that had a great/difficult tuba part. If you haven't heard this piece, get a part and check it out...

William Walton Symphony #1
UDELBR
Deletedaccounts
Deletedaccounts

Post by UDELBR »

barry guerrero wrote:You can't hate using a mute, though.
Oh yes I can!! :lol:
Billy M.
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Billy M. »

You know, the Mahler 1 solo while simple (basically a minor version of Frere Jacques) is QUITE HARD because of how nimble it has to sound. This is not including the 47 seconds of a single pitch following afterward.
Romans 3:23-24

Billy Morris
Rudolf Meinl Model 45, Musikmesse Horn
Boosey & Hawkes Imperial Eb (19" Bell)
1968 Besson New Standard Eb (15" Bell)