My tuba patch was the most sincere

The bulk of the musical talk
basslizard
bugler
bugler

Re: My tuba patch was the most sincere

Post by basslizard »

Pictures
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Old Ugly - a Jupiter JCP -384 tuba
1916 Buescher Eb
Elkhart Conn 62H Bass Trombone
American Standard 1929 Bb Baritone
Beaufort 1920's Euphonium
1960's Bundy oboe - family heirloom, has been played by three generations
basslizard
bugler
bugler

Post by basslizard »

First and third slides
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1916 Buescher Eb
basslizard
bugler
bugler

Post by basslizard »

I miss my mismatched pearl buttons.
1916 Buescher Eb
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

My limited experience with this: paid for the repair and rushed out without trying it, got home and it didn't play, took it back the next day ... never did get a really satisfactory fix out of it.

I wasn't sorry I'd brought it back, it seems wrong to just quietly accept it. But the place is only a 15 minute drive, so while it was more or less a waste of time, it wasn't very much time.

I've never used hot glue, seems like it should work. I have used paraffin canning wax, not for anything exactly like that though. Shellac or some kind of lacquer might do it, too. It looks like it might be within reach as an intro solder job, but the mess I've made of my instrument soldering makes me a little hesitant to recommend.
basslizard
bugler
bugler

Post by basslizard »

Here’s my hot glue solder job on the knuckle of my euphonium. It is holding so far. It wouldn’t take a massive amount of heat to melt it off, so it seemed better than JB weld.
1916 Buescher Eb
scottw
5 valves
5 valves

Post by scottw »

The patch and the soldering job have to be among the worst I have ever seen by a "professional" tech! Hard though it may be, forget that your bucks are out the window and find someone competent to do your work, even if it means shipping the horn. Nobody should have someone producing those results working on an instrument.
Bearin' up!
basslizard
bugler
bugler

Post by basslizard »

I'll be honest, I feel a little defeated here. That was more money than I'd wanted to put into it in the first place - I'd been planning on waiting to do more than a functioning water key until I could take it to a real tuba repairman - I found one, in the heart of the area COVID-19 outbreak. So rather than driving 4+ hours each way, I figured I'd wait until I needed to take my oldest to see the nearby university. I figured it to be around $1000 in repairs. Also that my husband would have other plans for $1000 since I have a functioning Bb tuba and this is a hobby for me, not a profession. So my disappointment is profound. I went from a functional-if-out-of-tune Eb tuba that was a lot of fun to goof around on to a lamp. An objet d'art. And it's just going to have to stay that way for a while. I'm looking at the possibility of moving in the coming months, if my husband transfers. We've established a new record - 5 years in one place. Usually we move every 2-4 years.
1916 Buescher Eb
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

Hmmm. It seems this thread has migrated from:
"patch" meaning an area where things grow or collect, as in the OP's initial post and picture; to
"patch" meaning to repair by adding material over the point needing repair.
Hmmm.
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
basslizard
bugler
bugler

Post by basslizard »

iiipopes wrote:Hmmm. It seems this thread has migrated from:
"patch" meaning an area where things grow or collect, as in the OP's initial post and picture; to
Hmmm.
An apt observation. I've wondering if it should migrate over to repairs/modifications.
1916 Buescher Eb
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

basslizard wrote:
iiipopes wrote:Hmmm. It seems this thread has migrated from:
Hmmm.
An apt observation. I've wondering if it should migrate over to repairs/modifications.
BTW, I never had any idea what this post title was supposed to mean... :oops:

(Still don't :oops:)
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

You'd need some basic familiarity with the "Charlie Brown" comic strip and the "Great Pumpkin" theme that came up every Halloween.

The thread is fine here.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Donn wrote:You'd need some basic familiarity with the "Charlie Brown" comic strip and the "Great Pumpkin" theme that came up every Halloween.

The thread is fine here.
That's what I figured. It's been years since I've seen that one, but I never particularly liked it. Then i second guessed myself.

And yes, I'm plenty familiar with Charles Schultz and Peanuts. Indo live in Minneapolis, you know. It's virtually required reading when you move here. Fun fact: Charles Schultz was born in the neighborhood where I live right now!
Rick Denney
Resident Genius

Post by Rick Denney »

bort wrote:
Donn wrote:You'd need some basic familiarity with the "Charlie Brown" comic strip and the "Great Pumpkin" theme that came up every Halloween.

The thread is fine here.
That's what I figured. It's been years since I've seen that one, but I never particularly liked it. Then i second guessed myself.

And yes, I'm plenty familiar with Charles Schultz and Peanuts. Indo live in Minneapolis, you know. It's virtually required reading when you move here. Fun fact: Charles Schultz was born in the neighborhood where I live right now!
Then you'd know that Schulz is spelled without the T.

To the OP: I'd be planning a vacation for when the time is right, to go east at least as far as Iowa, and schedule a visit with Lee Stofer. He might be able to do a couple of inexpensively quick things to get it back to basically playable. And everything he does will move you forward, not backward.

Rick "a dab of flame here, a few whacks with a rawhide hammer there, might be all that is really needed to get it back to the fun stage" Denney
basslizard
bugler
bugler

Post by basslizard »

Rick, I think it would be easy to convince the family to take a road trip to Iowa. Twice, even... It's only a few hours away, and there are some amazing parks out there.
1916 Buescher Eb
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Rick Denney wrote:
bort wrote:

The thread is fine here.

Then you'd know that Schulz is spelled without the T.
Blah, blah, whatever Ric...

:P
scottw
5 valves
5 valves

Post by scottw »

basslizard wrote:Rick, I think it would be easy to convince the family to take a road trip to Iowa. Twice, even... It's only a few hours away, and there are some amazing parks out there.
I'd second the idea of visiting Lee [set it up in advance, though]. He is a true gentleman and a superb craftsman who does not steal your money like your local "tech". :)
Bearin' up!
Rick Denney
Resident Genius

Post by Rick Denney »

bort wrote: Blah, blah, whatever Ric...

:P
No problem, Bor.

Rick "who has lived his life with a letter dropped from his name" Denny
cjk
5 valves
5 valves

Post by cjk »

bort wrote: That's what I figured. It's been years since I've seen that one, but I never particularly liked it. Then i second guessed myself.

Are you familiar with Charles Schulz and the TUBA?

https://memphissymphony.org/meet-the-mu ... les-schulz" target="_blank