The bulk of the musical talk
groth
3 valves
3 valves

Re: The Best

Post by groth »

Stryk wrote:
groth wrote:
Stryk wrote: There's a whole lot of "better" or "equal" to the Miraphone brand. :lol:
Better? Really now? Equally as good, as I said, I believe. Better I find really hard to believe. Better craftsmanship? Better what?
Better yes, as in more solid construction. Willson, Hirsbrunner..ever played one or inspected one up close?
groth
3 valves
3 valves

Post by groth »

The question was for Terry. So then, there's nothing better than Miraphone. It's settled, the expert has spoken.
groth
3 valves
3 valves

Post by groth »

Stryk wrote:
groth wrote: Better yes, as in more solid construction. Willson, Hirsbrunner..ever played one or inspected one up close?
Sure have - good horns. Not my cup of tea - heavy, thick, not vibrant. I have an extremely high opinion of their euphoniums, but not as much for the tubas. I don't know of any horn PERFECTLY in tune, but they usually follow about the same pattern at least, the ones I played were odd - but maybe they all had the same tendencies, I can't speak to that. Kinda the Helga or Brubhilda of good tubas. Some love em, for sure. I don't see BETTER in either, sorry.
Still waiting for you just to say it ...you know...that Miraphone is the Best made horn and some others are maybe AS GOOD, but nothing is better than a Miraphone. I think we've named off all the most expensive and amazing playing tubas and still nothing has changed your mind.
toobagrowl
5 valves
5 valves

Post by toobagrowl »

Actually, Bill T and SousaWarrior, I was the first to mention Yamaha as well as Elkhart-era Conn and Cleveland-era (H.N. White) King. But that's ok :roll: :

toobagrowl wrote: And like em or not, many ppl would argue Yamaha to be there, at least for consistency and quality workmanship.

Of the vintage horns, I'd argue Elkhart-era Conn and Cleveland-era King. Consistency, reliability, quality workmanship and playability :tuba:
@groth: Yes, I'd also take a 1990's UMI-era King over a current Conn-Selmer King. But those older H.N. White horns were something special (especially the BBb sousas), and were more handmade back then and used nicer bracing.

Some of my favorite makers are not on the list and that's ok. Call me crazy, but I'd still take a good old Cerveny 681 BBb over a Miraphone 186 BBb. Even though the Mira 186 is built better, I still prefer the sonic/response qualities of the Cerv 681. Even the little Amati ABB 321 is a fun little 4-valve "7/8" BBb if in good working order :!:
Cerveny/Amati made and still make some nice tubas; some of them play really well. But the consistency and build quality is not on-par with the top brands. I also really like some of the old Holtons, and own several. But, like Cerveny, many would not put on the list for the above-mentioned reasons.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Also, which NFL QB is the best of all time.

:roll: :P
groth
3 valves
3 valves

Post by groth »

toobagrowl wrote:Actually, Bill T and SousaWarrior, I was the first to mention Yamaha as well as Elkhart-era Conn and Cleveland-era (H.N. White) King. But that's ok :roll: :

toobagrowl wrote: And like em or not, many ppl would argue Yamaha to be there, at least for consistency and quality workmanship.

Of the vintage horns, I'd argue Elkhart-era Conn and Cleveland-era King. Consistency, reliability, quality workmanship and playability :tuba:
@groth: Yes, I'd also take a 1990's UMI-era King over a current Conn-Selmer King. But those older H.N. White horns were something special (especially the BBb sousas), and were more handmade back then and used nicer bracing.

Some of my favorite makers are not on the list and that's ok. Call me crazy, but I'd still take a good old Cerveny 681 BBb over a Miraphone 186 BBb. Even though the Mira 186 is built better, I still prefer the sonic/response qualities of the Cerv 681. Even the little Amati ABB 321 is a fun little 4-valve "7/8" BBb if in good working order :!:
Cerveny/Amati made and still make some nice tubas; some of them play really well. But the consistency and build quality is not on-par with the top brands. I also really like some of the old Holtons, and own several. But, like Cerveny, many would not put on the list for the above-mentioned reasons.
Yeah the Sousas were pretty solid.