Roger Bobo Tenor Tuba Mouthpiece

The bulk of the musical talk
king2ba
bugler
bugler

Well.....

Post by king2ba »

If you can get used to this mouthpiece, it's great. Though, I couldn't get used to it. When I feel a tuba mouthpiece on my face, I play in tuba range. When I feel a euph mouthpeice on my face, I play an octave higher. It's just how it feels to me. I feel that the true Euph mouthpiece gives me more punch and focus to the sound. While the Bobo seems to be a very wide sound.

If you are someone that has GREAT tuba high chops, the Bobo might be a good choice. Otherwise, I'd just get used to the different feel and use a standard euph. mouthpiece.
Sean Greene
pro musician
pro musician

Bobo TT mouthpiece

Post by Sean Greene »

Hi Chris,
I have this mouthpiece and have used it quite a bit. I like it. It allows me to play euph without having to make my chops get used to something totally foreign for a short period of time....
The thing I don't like about the TT is the shank size. It is very large, a true bass trombone shank. When I use it, I have to borrow my friend's Hirsbrunner euphonium becuase it's too big for the school Willson euphs.
I would love to find a tuba rimmed mouthpiece with a tenor shank. If anyone knows where I could score one of those, please let me know.
:D

Good luck, Chris!
Sean
Sean Greene
Andreas Eastman Artist/Clinician
http://www.eastmanmusiccompany.com/artists/
Band Director, Robertsville Middle School
DMA, MM - Univ. of Wisconsin-Madison
BM - Univ. of Tennessee-Knoxville
Sousaphone, Big Orange Banditos
UDELBR
Deletedaccounts
Deletedaccounts

Re: Bobo TT mouthpiece

Post by UDELBR »

Sean Greene wrote:The thing I don't like about the TT is the shank size. It is very large, a true bass trombone shank.
Agree completely. I had to severly spin down the shank in order to use it with my Couesnon 6v French tuba. A shame they don't offer a variety of shanks.
Bob Mosso
bugler
bugler

Post by Bob Mosso »

Sean Greene wrote:I would love to find a tuba rimmed mouthpiece with a tenor shank.
The largest small shank euph mouthpieces I've been able to find are:
-Loud LM-47, 26.3mm cup ID, 7.03mm bore
-Denis Wick SM4-baritone, 26.0mm, 7.38mm

These are meduim sized in comparison to the common large shank:
-Loud LM-20, 26.6mm, 7.4mm
-Denis Wick SM3, 26.4mm, 7.38mm
-Denis Wick SM3.5, 26.4mm, 7.62mm
-Denis Wick SM2, 27.0mm, 7.4mm
-any bass trombone mouthpiece

What are the dimensions for the Bobo?
Kevin Hendrick
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Kevin Hendrick »

Bob Mosso wrote:The largest small shank euph mouthpieces I've been able to find are:
-Loud LM-47, 26.3mm cup ID, 7.03mm bore
-Denis Wick SM4-baritone, 26.0mm, 7.38mm

These are meduim sized in comparison to the common large shank:
-Loud LM-20, 26.6mm, 7.4mm
-Denis Wick SM3, 26.4mm, 7.38mm
-Denis Wick SM3.5, 26.4mm, 7.62mm
-Denis Wick SM2, 27.0mm, 7.4mm
-any bass trombone mouthpiece

What are the dimensions for the Bobo?
The cup ID is 32.04mm, and the bore is 7.02mm. :)
"Don't take life so serious, son. It ain't nohow permanent." -- Pogo (via Walt Kelly)
Chuck(G)
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Chuck(G) »

If yoiu've a hankering to try it, get the Replica version instead of the signature and save a bunch of beer money. On my Willson 2975, I can't get the horn to play up to pitch without modifying the instrument. It may work better in your case, but give it a try first.
Chuck(G)
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Chuck(G) »

chris combest wrote:I had no intention of purchasing anything but the replica, if I went that route with the Bobo MP. Are there any other brands of Tenor Tuba MP's out there besides the Yamaha?
A lot of old (pre WWII) Eb tuba mouthpieces have both a bass trombone shank and a cup that's as small or smaller than the Bobo TT. If you know of someone who has a bunch squirreled away, they might be worth a test play.