Bells Palsy!!!

The bulk of the musical talk
Charlie C Chowder
bugler
bugler

Bells Palsy!!!

Post by Charlie C Chowder »

All of the sudden I am very busy playing my tuba or sax this month. Seven times I am suppose to blow on something. Now I have Bells Palsy caused by and ear ache. Had it before, will have it again. So although I can not play my bass guitar at TubaChristmas. It is subbing for my tuba with the Banjos. First time playing it in public. If I can not play my Aerophone, i.e. an electronic sax, I mic a kazoo.

Charlie C. Chowder
euphomate
bugler
bugler

Re: Bells Palsy!!!

Post by euphomate »

It's no joke. It came on to me August 2018 at the start of a brass band rehearsal. Suddenly, no warning. It was a scary experience, and I have not had it before or since. Thought at first I was having a stroke. Got to hospital emergency services fast, where an accurate diagnosis was made and injections of an anti-inflammatory started. It took two months to subside to the point where I could get back to getting air into the mp consistently as opposed to the air escaping outside of the embouchure. No after-effects for me, well and truly back to normal now, but recovery it takes it's own course and time. I'm convinced excessive stress is the pre-disposing element.
Besson BE982 Sovereign EEb tuba
Wessex Champion EEb tuba
Stencil compensating euphonium
Charlie C Chowder
bugler
bugler

As I said, This is not the first time and will it be the not last time. I have lost count. But I am lucky to have other toys to move to when it occurs. The point of my message was the fact that I played my bass guitar outside of my house. With music/Charts to read, the banjo players to keep on the beat, and with an audience. I have been playing at home, all by myself, forever, other than TubaChristmas once a year.
One week until TC this year, as I am the TC Elf here in Portland, OR, and have the job of helping present the contestants for the ugliest and prettiest Tubas and Best Costumes, ( I am not allow to compete as mine is so good and I have won many time in a row before), I will just fake the tuba playing. With 2 to 3 hundred tuba like players, I should have no problems.
I will let you know how the Aerophone goes. Looking for my kazoos today. Lots of musical toys here.

Charlie C. Chowder
tbonesullivan
4 valves
4 valves

Post by tbonesullivan »

Having non-wind instruments is always awesome. I also play guitar and bass guitar, and keep thinking about re-learning my functional piano stuff from college.

I always have the issue with guitar though that people want me to sing and play at the same time, and i just can't do it. I used to have trouble remembering when to breathe while playing guitar, and would find my facial muscle memory going when I did things like bend up a note. Thankfully that latter one is gone, but still can't sing while playing.
Yamaha YBB-631S BBb Tuba, B&H Imperial Eb Tuba, Sterling / Perantucci 1065GHS Euphonium
Yamaha YBL-621 RII Bass Trombone and a bunch of other trombones
Charlie C Chowder
bugler
bugler

TubaChristmas was yesterday. On Friday morning at the Live 5 AM preview, I could play a little. Nothing above Bb. Faked a lot. But at TC I could get to from low F to F instaf. Still hand to fake a little even though I play Tuba II. But I was there in full costume to do my job. Some guy tried to sneak in a trombone in to the ugly euphonium/baritone contest. We did not allow that. A lady with a cut out of the Leg Lamp out of "The Christmas Story" movie tie wrapped to her baritone and wearing a pink bunny pajama out fit got the prettiest award. We even gave out four tickets to an audience member who had been to the most TubaChristmas concerts.

This was your 29th event, and we have 327 players.

And I as always get my picture taken with a lot of pretty ladies,

Charlie C. Chowder
Charlie C Chowder
bugler
bugler

TubaChristmas was yesterday. On Friday morning at the Live 5 AM preview, I could play a little. Nothing above Bb. Faked a lot. But at TC I could get to from low F to F instaf. Still hand to fake a little even though I play Tuba II. But I was there in full costume to do my job. Some guy tried to sneak in a trombone in to the ugly euphonium/baritone contest. We did not allow that. A lady with a cut out of the Leg Lamp out of "The Christmas Story" movie tie wrapped to her baritone and wearing a pink bunny pajama out fit got the prettiest award. We even gave out four tickets to an audience member who had been to the most TubaChristmas concerts.

This was your 29th event, and we have 327 players.

And I as always get my picture taken with a lot of pretty ladies,

Charlie C. Chowder