BIG Tuba

The bulk of the musical talk
Ace
5 valves
5 valves

Re: BIG Tuba

Post by Ace »

the elephant wrote:The Kaiser was released this year (I think) and was in development all through 2018 (again, I think). The above-shared video of Das Musikkorps der Bundeswher was taken from a performance in 2012.

Daniel should be here to answer eventually. I just linked this recording to him on Facebook and told him of this discussion. Personally, I am guessing this is a B&F, perhaps the very one that got Wessex so hot on developing a copy of their own? Just another of my many guesses, I guess. 8)
Wade, there are a fair number of American military players on this board (active, inactive, retired). That includes you and me in various Army bands. I am sure you remember when in the service that there were strict requirements for closely trimmed hair. So, what's with the Musikkorps der Bundeswehr? They are an Army band, right? Some of those musicians, including the conductor, are in serious need of a trip to the barber shop. Hrrumph!

Ace
kontrabasstuba
3 valves
3 valves

Post by kontrabasstuba »

Hahaha... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Our conductor in the Video is now Professor for conducting in Bozen/Italy. And some need a haircut. True... But not so short like the American Army Bands... :wink:
hubert
3 valves
3 valves

Post by hubert »

Hey Daniel,
Today for the first time I listened to your performance of Magnus Hylander-Follow The Wind on Youtube.
Congratulations, magnificent, that's a contrabass sound!! Thanks for that, and especially form the lyrical parts.
Did you play the Rudy or what?
Regards from the Netherlands,
Hubert
kontrabasstuba
3 valves
3 valves

Post by kontrabasstuba »

Hi Hubert,
thank you very much for your kindly mail!
I use my Miraphone 6/4 Hagen BBb Tuba
All the best:-)
kontrabasstuba
3 valves
3 valves

Post by kontrabasstuba »

Here is the Video from Follow the wind.

https://youtu.be/dcm0qkH67O0" target="_blank

Played on a BIG tuba too ;-)
kontrabasstuba
3 valves
3 valves

Post by kontrabasstuba »

Ace, we are the Symphonic Concertband of german Armed Forces. Of course we have some rules about our hair dress. But not so hard ones... more important is the music!
Ace
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Ace »

kontrabasstuba wrote:Ace, we are the Symphonic Concertband of german Armed Forces. Of course we have some rules about our hair dress. But not so hard ones... more important is the music!
I agree. The music is always far more important in any situation, and your group really plays well. I was just startled to see some shaggy hair on military musicians. That's something I haven't often seen. Perhaps the video link will illustrate what I am familiar with.

https://www.facebook.com/usarmyband/vid ... 00380/?t=0" target="_blank

Ace
kontrabasstuba
3 valves
3 valves

Post by kontrabasstuba »

Super Video. If i shave my hairs like this, i don't have hairs anymore ;-)

Have a nice day all together!
kontrabasstuba
3 valves
3 valves

Post by kontrabasstuba »

Bloke, that's correct!
Matt G
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Matt G »

bloke wrote:Something I hear (and - of course - a recording, not live, but...) is that the sound is more brilliant than with many American wind bands.

The thing that discourages me from attending wind band concerts in the USA is the "mezzo-muffled/dampened" sonic effect that so many band directors seem to be *striving to achieve.

Symphony orchestras feature far more soprano instruments (which - unapologetically - shimmer) and far fewer alto-voiced instruments than American wind bands. Further (again), I believe there is a deliberate goal (with American wind bands) to muffle/muzzle sonic brilliance...with additional strategies to this goal being really large instruments (in several sections) played with really large mouthpieces.

...well: (even with the tubas) Look at the difference in these instruments and those that American wind-band tuba players (assuming they were supplied with precisely what they wanted) would typically choose.

to clarify: I like what I heard in the link.
I'd add to your speculation that a lot of the wind band directors are hearing their "reference recordings" in auditory locations (worst case, but likely common: a car) that have suboptimal acoustics. Even for orchestral transcriptions, if they are listening to the work on substandard equipment and in a room (assuming they aren't using reference-quality headphones) with poor acoustic qualities, they aren't hearing what an orchestra actually sounds like across the entire frequency spectrum.

Audio compression and cheap electronics have made audio media widely available and distributable, but at a significant cost of fidelity.

One of the local high school band directors that has a band of superior quality has a wind ensemble with one tuba, one euph, 4 trombones, balanced against 12 or so clarinets and something like 6 flutes. And he lets those clarinets push the envelope of volume in the upper register up to and including the occasional "squeak". Accepting the occasional flaw, the band sounds remarkably well-balanced and it's quite easy to hear the voicings of the melodies and harmonies.
Dillon/Walters CC
Meinl Weston 2165
The Brute Squad
bugler
bugler

Post by The Brute Squad »

bloke wrote:bloke "but a euphonium COMBINED WITH an English-style baritone (covering the "baritone/euphonium" part in an American wind-band) might be an interesting experiment."
Something like the Wessex Duplex?
Joe K

Player of tuba, taker of photos, breaker of things (mostly software)

Miraphone 181 F w/ GW Matanuska/Yamaha John Griffiths
Kalison Daryl Smith w/ Blokepiece (#2 32.6, Orchestra Grand Cup, Symphony American shank)
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

bloke wrote:I had forgotten about this (just reminded of course) - that - in the German language - "hair" (on one's head) is plural...

When Grandma (1883 - 1874, who grew up near the Lake Michigan shore of Wisconsin on a dairy farm speaking German) referred to her hair, she would refer to her hair as "them"...ie. "I need to wash them."
Reminds me of the generally un-funny (dad-) joke:

Did you get a haircut?
Actually, I got all of them cut.