Schilke Mouthpiece Question

The bulk of the musical talk
pakins51
bugler
bugler

Schilke Mouthpiece Question

Post by pakins51 »

Hello everyone! I used to play on a Conn 1 mouthpiece and loved the way it sounded, but it caused my high register to suck and I could hit the notes but it was harder and sounded worse then other mouthpieces. Recently I’ve gotten a Schilke 67 and it feels slightly small, but it really opened my upper register, but to me I sound more grainy and my low range isn’t as open as I’d like. And yes I know practice improves this but I’ve come to a spot where it’s like no matter how much I practice my low range and tone it’s still not what I want. My question is how does the new Schilke SHII-CLE compare to the 67? If it’s slightly bigger I think it’s what I’m looking for, but there isn’t enough information for me to be able to tell. But if not does anyone know of a mouthpiece that has a slightly wider and deeper cup and bigger back-bore than the 67?
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Schilke Mouthpiece Question

Post by Donn »

pakins51 wrote:But if not does anyone know of a mouthpiece that has a slightly wider and deeper cup and bigger back-bore than the 67?
Well, the Conn 1 does, or did, though not just "slightly" deeper. I have both, and to me they're of a kind - the Schilke 67 is more normal, but still sounds pretty similar from where I'm sitting. Both have rather large throat diameters.

Marcinkiewicz H1 throat might be bigger than Schilke 67, or at least close. I can't speak to back bore, never tried to measure that stuff nor does anyone publish dimensions. The cup is a little wider and deeper. I have a hunch however that it isn't going to help a bit and you might be better off trying something in the opposite direction, a little more mainstream balance between cup size and throat, like a Helleberg clone.
pakins51
bugler
bugler

Post by pakins51 »

Yes the Conn sounds like what I want but is almost too big for me. To me the 67 seems to be about the same as a Helleberg 120, or at least I get about the same results with the two.
groth
3 valves
3 valves

Post by groth »

What horn are you playing these on? I'd suggest the 69C4, it pretty much works on everything.
pakins51
bugler
bugler

Post by pakins51 »

A Miraphone BBb 1291. I’ve tried the 69C4 but it was too small cup wise. Thank You though!
lucas.barnstead
lurker
lurker

Post by lucas.barnstead »

I actually own a very old schilke 67, it was alright, but it made me sound very nasally. I switches to the Schilke Helleberg II and I couldn't be any more pleased. good high register, wonderful low register. But, of course, in the end of the day, it all comes down to preference.
Miraphone 1291 5/4 BBb
Worth
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Worth »

I've learned from this forum (Bloke 2019) and subsequently the web that the Schilke Helleberg II is similar to the Laskey 30H which is similar to the Dillon Roylance. One of the reasons for me selecting the Roylance and continuing to play it is that no piece has given me such security and ease of intonation in all registers. Did I mention it projects like crazy as well? A great all-around MP, so I would think the Schilke Helleberg II would be as well. Check this Feb 3, 2020 video by Chris Olka detailing the nomenclature of the newest Dillon pieces.

2014 Wisemann 900 with Laskey 30H
~1980 Cerveny 4V CC Piggy
1935 Franz Schediwy BBb
1968 Conn 2J (thinking of selling)
vferreira
lurker
lurker

Post by vferreira »

Good afternoon, has anyone played with the Schilke SHII-CLE wanted to know information about it
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

If you are used to playing a Conn 1 and want smooth low range, simply go with a Conn 120S Helleberg.
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.