why so many 45slp's for sale?

The bulk of the musical talk
MikeMason
6 valves
6 valves

why so many 45slp's for sale?

Post by MikeMason »

i'm in the market for a new f and have not tried a ton of different models(donning flame retardant suit). i am primarily relying on advice from trusted friends to make the decision(yeah,,,i know...).the 45slp was on my short list at first, but ssooooo many seem to be for sale. is this just because there were so many sold, thus just the law of numbers? or after the heat of lust passes is there no lasting love there? don't see too many used willsons or yam822s out there, which are the others on my list( though several strong cases made for rudy f's and mira f's).any thoughts from the brain trust or am i just paranoid?...........
Z-Tuba Dude
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Z-Tuba Dude »

Funny, I had the same thought, too.

I suspect that many people rushed to buy 45SLP's, based mainly on the positive opinions that were expressed at the time, discovering later that it just wasn't a good "fit" for them.
WoodSheddin
5 valves
5 valves

Post by WoodSheddin »

There are always a lot of Yamahas, Miraphones, and Meinl Westons for sale. Doesn't mean they all suck. Just means there are a lot of them in circulation.

The 45slp is a great horn. Well worth trying out.
sean chisham
KevinYoung
pro musician
pro musician

Post by KevinYoung »

I agree...I wouldn't be selling MW 45SLP if I didn't have the issues I have now.

Way too many times people bash/praise an instrument because of what someone else thinks without even trying it. I've played sousaphones that were better than some of the "must have" horns.

Oh well....what can you do?

Kevin
bttmbow
pro musician
pro musician

Post by bttmbow »

Your concerns are valid, and there are many people who but the "in" horn when it first comes out. However, the 45SLP is a great design, and works well for many people. I have played very few 45slp's that I disliked tremendously, and MANY that I thought were great horns. Each horn is different, whether it's a 45SLP, PT10, or whatever. My biggest advice is always this:
"Buy the tuba that you just don't want to put down."

My 45SLP was one of those horns. I was almost certain that I wanted a silver one, but decided to try a laquered one, because it was there. I kept coming back to it, and knew that it was the one for me.

The other thing is that all people are different; some horns work better for some people. I tried a horn recently that was very good, but I decided that it was not right for me, but it worked REALLY WELL for a friend of mine. Quite a few players were there listening, and we ALL agreed that this player sounded great on that horn, and I sounded better on another horn.

Just try an SLP, and see if you like it. If not, there are many other types of F tubas out there.

Good luck,
CJH