Jinbao-Schiller Frankfurt F 6 v A soul redeemed? "Deadly?"

The bulk of the musical talk
2ba4t
bugler
bugler

Jinbao-Schiller Frankfurt F 6 v A soul redeemed? "Deadly?"

Post by 2ba4t »

:cry: Schiller Frankfurt Elite FF Tuba 6 valve :roll:
Back in 2011 tubenet basically rubbished the Schiller instruments and this poor lass particularly. The intonation was terrible, you died of chemical poisoning if you opened the case without a gas mask, you became a communist, it fell to bits, you fell to bits, the world fell to bits.
Now they seem to be highly regarded - at least by the retailers!!
Have they solved the intonation and technical issues?
The Chinese instruments I have played have been excellent.
Also, what do I need 6 valves for? A single 5th valve the length of the 3rd roughly plays all the notes better than a compensator.
Or does the 6th provide a good iced beer during rests? :twisted:
2ba4t
bugler
bugler

Re: Jinbao-Schiller Frankfurt F 6 v A soul redeemed? "Deadly

Post by 2ba4t »

Thank you for your wisdom, as always.

I tried and bought the Schiller. It is a 6 valve American Heritage circa 2017 - 18. It seems excellent over the whole range. All the alternative fingerings ring in tune. The 4th, 5th and 6th open harmonics seem really good. The 4th (F) seems good open - and match with 23 and even 14. I have been lucky or perhaps they have worked on the instrument.

I shall make an extension to the 6th valve to make it into a '4th valve' to ease fingering with the pinky. I pulled the real 4th to make it into a quint and it really produces a perfect F# and CC#. This extended 6th, of course, will help to have plenty of extra length for the lowest notes.

The bore expands incredibly quickly over the general tuning slide. Presumably because they wanted to make an FF - 'CC' tuba, as opposed to an F 'euphonium' - like the beloved Hawkes, Boosey and now Wessex F tubas.

It seems a good compromise. But it weighs a ton. My Cerveny 4 v F weighs 12.7 lbs, this almost 20 lbs !!! But one must keep up with fashion [I suppose - and it was an exchange.]

It is neither a true Czech tuba - (descended from the ophicleide) - with a silvery sound - like the Cerveny, nor an F Saxhorn (tapered like a contrabass cornet) with a rich, mellowness - like the British style. Is that the 'American' heritage perhaps?

Thanks again.