How hot?

The bulk of the musical talk
Craigtbone
bugler
bugler

How hot?

Post by Craigtbone »

When rinsing out a tuba, how hot is safe for the lacquer and the tuba in general?

I started playing tuba 10 months ago but played trombone for 45 yrs. As I recall the Bach brass lacquer of years ago was quite sensitive to elevated temperatures.

My tuba is a Conn 3J, 1979. The tap water in my bath tub can get just hot enough to be a little painful. Is that hot enough to damage the horn in any way?

My interest in hot water is that I am noticing some oily buildup in the valves. A bit of warm water should be able to flush that out.

Any input is most appreciated.

(I suspect this subject has already been discussed but my searches did not find it)
Ken Herrick
5 valves
5 valves

Oryy about the c

Post by Ken Herrick »

ADD SOME DISH WASHING FETERGENT Sorry about the caps . If it doesn't hurt you, it wont hurt the lacquer - unless it is crap that shouldn't be there in the first place.

(just got home from trying to edumacate sumbudy bout wat theey shudanone better about amyway
Free to tuba: good home
tbonesullivan
4 valves
4 valves

Re: How hot?

Post by tbonesullivan »

A hot water bath is a popular way to go to raw brass on Bach Stradivarius trombone bells that are older than 10 years. It makes the Nitrocellulose lacquer fall right off. Bach has now joined the club and gone to epoxy. So, with older instruments, as bloke described, care is needed. Also, if you have a restored / refurbished older instrument, most smaller shops are not set up for epoxy lacquer baking, and use Nikolas lacquer, which is Nitrocellulose.

Most modern instruments have oven baked epoxy lacquers. You would probably boil them and the lacquer won't go anywhere.
Yamaha YBB-631S BBb Tuba, B&H Imperial Eb Tuba, Sterling / Perantucci 1065GHS Euphonium
Yamaha YBL-621 RII Bass Trombone and a bunch of other trombones
Craigtbone
bugler
bugler

Post by Craigtbone »

Does anyone know if 1979 era Conn tubas used the good or bad lacquer?

A little soap, yes I do that.

I have a Bach Strad tbone from 1976ish so that is what makes me a little concerned with horns & hot baths.
tbonesullivan
4 valves
4 valves

Post by tbonesullivan »

Craigtbone wrote:Does anyone know if 1979 era Conn tubas used the good or bad lacquer?
Was that before or after they became part of UMI with king? I know that in the 70s king went to "that orange stuff" on a lot of their horns, which is VERY hard to remove. Conn was always more on the up about technological innovations, like welded bell seams, so I would assume by the late 70s they had moved past Cellulose lacquers.
Yamaha YBB-631S BBb Tuba, B&H Imperial Eb Tuba, Sterling / Perantucci 1065GHS Euphonium
Craigtbone
bugler
bugler

Post by Craigtbone »

Thanks for the input folks.

Most of the horn still has lacquer, and it looks in good condition. Places that are touched a lot are bare. No signs of flaking.

I will wash it out. Might try the hot water on a slide first but I suspect it will be fine.
MN_TimTuba

Post by MN_TimTuba »

Two years ago my Holton was completely de-dented, chem cleaned, and a few other things, and had lacquer touch-up on all the now-beautiful tuning slides, and was a big improvement. She's been ultra-sonically cleaned once since then, and I've done my own cleaning, too. Tonight I pulled all the tuning slides in order to try a new slide grease, cleaned them all in dish soap and hot water (could still hold my hands in it) - and the lacquer peeled in little sheets. I have never seen that before. So, now the tuning slides are mostly devoid of lacquer; and, to top it off, I don't like the new slide grease one bit. Anyhow, I bump into my repair man once or twice a year, so I'll have the chance to ask him what manner of lacquer he uses and let him know it has a 2 year expiration date. Phooey.
tubeast
4 valves
4 valves

Post by tubeast »

If the horn´s contact areas are stripped already, I wouldn´t worry too much about it.
If flaking occurs: So what ? The instrument is already being played for sound, not for looks, right?

My Melton 46 has stripped itself of laquer to the extent that I consider scraping the remaining laquer off, as well.
The Melton 2011FA shows following symptoms:
First small areas underneath laquer turn black
Then laquer falls off
then adjacent areas turn black, sort of like a growing bacteria population in a petri-dish.

This might become an issue when I want to sell it eventually, but until then...
Hans
Melton 46 S
1903 or earlier GLIER Helicon, customized Hermuth MP
2009 WILLSON 6400 RZ5, customized GEWA 52 + Wessex "Chief"
MW HoJo 2011 FA, Wessex "Chief"
tbonesullivan
4 valves
4 valves

Post by tbonesullivan »

bloke wrote:my wild guess: rattle-can Nikolas
Most likely, or maybe even spray gun. I don't know if they still use it, but Dan Oberloh used Nikolas in a gun, with a bit of tint, when re-lacquering two restored Miraphone 186s. Those photos are from years ago, so maybe things have changed.
MN_TimTuba

Post by MN_TimTuba »

tubeast wrote: This might become an issue when I want to sell it eventually, but until then...
My concern exactly.
Pretty Horn $$ > Ugly Horn $$ (in the general public's eye, anyway).
tadawson
bugler
bugler

Post by tadawson »

Can't say that I remember many details, but around 1978 a kid in the band I was in got a brand new baritone. Not sure the brand, but not huge $$$, but not crap either. He was so proud and really babied the thing not a single mark! Several months in, he decided to clean it, and into the bathtub it went. Not sure the exact temp, but I can't fathom anything you could not put your hands in to work. . .

Almost 100% lacquer loss! It looked almost like it had been sandblasted . . . .

So, for me, from that point forward, it's been lukewarm, or not at all. Perhaps I'm paranoid, things have changed, etc. but what I have seen is a solid 0 out of 1 in hot water . . .

FWIW . . .
Last edited by tadawson on Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
dmmorris
3 valves
3 valves
Location: From far away as Jupiter sulfur mines, way down by the methane sea.

Post by dmmorris »

Lacquer is evil. Take it all off and never worry about it again. Or better yet, order raw brass from the beginning.
beta 14??..........OK!

Mid 70's B&S Tuba