F#0 or Below (Superman)
44%

Total votes: 43

2ba4t
bugler
bugler

Re: POLL CC Players-- How Low Can You Comfortably Go

Post by 2ba4t »

I am a little confused by all the above but two points might be suggested. This is a deep subject.

Testing an instrument:
The fundamentals - first harmonic/ partial of open and of each valve - - do help to test an instrument. I found the easier these notes are, usually the better the tuba generally and the more in tune especially the 5th, 6th and 7th harmonics. So a CC/BBb on which you can play the 4th valve's 1st harmonic GGGG/FFFF is probably a good bugle shape. On an F or Eb tuba, the CCC should be pretty accessible and ring out. ( Similarly - if the octave above the 8th harmonic is playable/squeakable - again it reflects on the entire range. )
So there is a serious point in being able to hit these super-low notes. In orchestra we need four octaves from CCC to an octave above middle c.

Embouchure:
The embouchure question rather hangs on what you need. For a huge, subterranean brassy boom an octave below the bones - I use only my upper lip deep in the mouthpiece practically - as described. For the quiet Der Drachen stuff I tend to start the note with the upper lip and then fill it by using the bottom lip as well.
How low an individual 'can go' seems to be a function of the width of the vibrating zone of the lips. Relaxing the muscles below the eyes completely and dropping the jaw helps - if you do not fall asleep.
DouglasJB
4 valves
4 valves

Post by DouglasJB »

As for "How" I probably do it a bit different, on Ab0 and G0 (and the occasional Gb0 when it happens...) I play the notes using as many valves and therefore as much stwost and turns as possible, this (for me) helps add resistance. On G0 for example I would play it 125, this forces the air to change direction more thus adding resistance.

Again. Just how I do it, others can do so with as little resistance as possible, good for them, I cannot... yet.
GC
5 valves
5 valves

Post by GC »

Too little or too much resistance is a range-killer for me. A horn that has the sweet spot of resistance makes a huge difference.
JP/Sterling 377 compensating Eb; Warburton "The Grail" T.G.4, RM-9 7.8, Yamaha 66D4; for sale > 1914 Conn Monster Eb (my avatar), ca. 1905 Fillmore Bros 1/4-size Eb, Bach 42B trombone
Worth
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Worth »

Thank you. Great stuff, constructive and interesting to hear different approaches to this one facet of the craft.
2014 Wisemann 900 with Laskey 30H
~1980 Cerveny 4V CC Piggy
1935 Franz Schediwy BBb
1968 Conn 2J (thinking of selling)
cjk
5 valves
5 valves

Post by cjk »

I can play the pedal G below pedal C any day on pretty much any tuba even if I haven't played in years. My face just remembers how to do it. I have never had to play that low in any ensemble and would question the need to even if it were written, unless it was in tuba "show off" piece written for other tuba nerds.